Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > speakers stoped working?

speakers stoped working?
Mamo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 06:51 PM

For some reason, My built in speakers aren't working anymore... I checked in the sound section of my perferences and it only shows my digital out. Then if i plug something in, earphones it shows the line out and sound works in that, just not the built in speakers...is this some kind of driver problem? or did my speakers actually crap out?
~If you're going to drown, at least drown in something that tastes good.
www.mamomusic.net

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 02:30 PM

What computer is this? Have you tried restarting?
On my powerbook, in the audio section of the preferences, it shows 'internal speakers', on port 'built in audio' - do you have that? Have you checked that your output volume is up and not muted?

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 06:10 PM

Yeah it's not muted, but I havn't tried restarting...i'll try that now. This is the 17" powerbook, All i have for output is my digital out and when i put a line it the line out shows up.
www.mamomusic.net

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 08:22 PM

Yeah, restart didn't work. I've checked on my drivers and it shows my sound devices are there... I have the Burr Brown PCM3052 and Crystal Semiconductor CS84xx.
www.mamomusic.net

the macimum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 09:35 PM

17" PowerBooks have a digital out? A friend of mine owns one, it's not optical.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2006, 11:05 PM

I believe the last rev of the PowerBook 15 and 17 inchers had digital out. I have had a problem like this on my iMac and it happens all of the time on my friend's Quicksilver. Make sure that if a certain program allows you to pick sound output you have internal speakers chosen. That could be your problem.

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 01:27 AM

I can't think of any programs that are running right now which I pick the sound output. It seems like my internal speakers got turned into the digital output. When I don't have anything pluged in it I see light coming out of the port.
www.mamomusic.net

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 09:59 PM

Ah. Odd.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2006, 10:09 PM

Do you get sound when you boot from the Hardware Test DVD? Have you tried zapping the PRAM?

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 01:04 AM

which one is the hardware test dvd and how do I zap the pram?
www.mamomusic.net

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 05:16 PM

To zap PRAM restart and hold down command-P-R-A-M at the same time.

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2006, 06:13 PM

Should it say anything when you do that? I restarted it and held those down since the black screen untill after it loaded osx and game to the desktop and everything. Still have the problem though
www.mamomusic.net

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 01:53 AM

Ok, it must be a big problem then, I just formated and re-installed osx tiger and it still only has ditigal output, no internal speakers still. The light is still coming out of the output jack. I tried going in the audio/midi setup in utilities, not in there either. The warrenty just ran out on this thing too...I swear they plan this out sometimes :[
www.mamomusic.net

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
To zap PRAM restart and hold down command-P-R-A-M at the same time.
It's Command-Option-P-R.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mamo
Ok, it must be a big problem then, I just formated and re-installed osx tiger and it still only has ditigal output, no internal speakers still. The light is still coming out of the output jack. I tried going in the audio/midi setup in utilities, not in there either. The warrenty just ran out on this thing too...I swear they plan this out sometimes :[
Try zapping the PRAM using the correct key combo. You'll know it when it works. The Hardware Test software is on your install DVD. Read the DVD for instructions on how to start it up.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 09:26 AM

People who've had Macs for the longest time know what zapping the PRAM does--and therefore the physical aspect never gets explained, as in:

when you hold down the correct key combination during startup, the parameter RAM (including sound) gets reset to default. In the physical realm, the key combination initiates a restart and you'll hear the startup bong. Most people (including Apple) recommend that you hold down the keys through at least 4 bongs because it sometimes takes that long for everything to get reset. There is also another method whereby you startup in Open Firmware (different key combination) and you reset the nvram (do a search on Apple's support website.)

One last tip: setup a second admin account, which you leave unmodified, plain vanilla. Login as that admin for testing purposes. Does sound work normally when everything's plain vanilla?

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 06:20 PM

I tried zaping the pram and that didn't work....let it go 4 times also. Gave the second admin an atempt too, no luck there. I'm starting to wonder if this is more than just a driver problem. I did completely format and re-install osx, wouldn't that fix any problems with drivers?
www.mamomusic.net

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 06:32 PM

If you've still got AppleCare, it sounds like it's about time to call them. You might have to send it in...

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 07:06 PM

My warrenty just ran out :[ and I never bought applecare, I want to sell this one and buy a macbook pro. If I get applecare do I have to sell it with the powerbook? or can it be switched over to my macbook as well?
www.mamomusic.net

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 10:24 PM

There is a grace period at the end of the initial one-year Applecare, where Apple will allow you to buy the additional 2-years. Apple won't say how long that grace period is, but it might be around a month, probably not longer. It may also depend on how polite and sincere you are if you decide to call up and explain how you intended to buy the additional applecare but got confused as to the right date.

Here's Apple's webpage where you can put in your serial number and see when your Applecare expires, under the "About Your Support Coverage":

http://www.apple.com/support/

Applecare is tied to the individual laptop, and goes with the laptop to its new owner. Can't be transferred to any other laptop. I personally wouldn't buy a PB that didn't have Applecare, simply because there's too much that can go wrong with a laptop. Also, every Apple refurbished laptop comes with one year of Applecare, so you'd have to price yours below that price.

On the other hand, don't know if you'd be able to recoup the $300-$350 cost--except for that the problem with the sound...

Last bits of advice:
1. Startup in Open Firmware and reset the NVRAM,

"To reset open firmware just startup in OF (startup holding command-option-o-f) and at the prompt enter the following (<return> means hit the return key):

reset-nvram<return>
set-defaults<return>
reset-all<return>

The computer will restart after the last command."

After that, reset the PMU.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

2. If that doesn't work: Do a clean install, where you wipe the HD and reinstall everything. This is the last-gasp hope that sound will be revived.

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 01:23 AM

Alright, I'll give those a shot. Thanks to everyone for your help, I really appreciate your time to help me with this problem.
www.mamomusic.net

brahms117
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 09:09 AM

I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but for what it's worth -- my speakers stopped working once on my old TiBook 667, but headphones still worked. It turns out something was physically out of place inside the headphone jack. I plugged headphones in and out repeatedly and the speakers came back on.

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 08:53 PM

Well, I tried everything you sugested and all hope is lost...i'm not sure what I'm gonna do now. Hopefully I can sell it without the speakers working...I really don't want to pay for applecare just to fix speakers and not be able to have it on my next laptop :[ Thanks for the help though guys.
www.mamomusic.net

barryjaylevine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2006, 09:06 PM

Launch GarageBand and then quit. If the speakers still don't work, launch the Audio Midi Setup app and verify that your settings are for 44.1 and not 48K. There's a bug in the Apple Audio drivers that causes this periodically on some machines (mine, for one). The GarageBand launch fixed mine as it also resets the audio settings to what they should be. Let us know if this resolves the issue.

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 01:00 AM

Yeah, it was already set at 44.1 and I tried launchin garageband, are you talking about the new one that came out? I don't have the iLife version.
www.mamomusic.net

barryjaylevine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 01:17 AM

Yeah, it was already set at 44.1 and I tried launchin garageband, are you talking about the new one that came out? I don't have the iLife version.
My Wacom tablet "click" sound disappeared and, when I did a search on disappearing audio on Google, the launch GarageBand suggestion came up. It worked for me and I eMailed it to the Wacom folks for others who might be so affected.

This might only be a CoreDuo issue (and resolution), as well. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

arfung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 12:37 PM

Here's my post from the Apple boards on this:

I had this exact same problem - red digital out light coming from the sound out port, and no internal speakers. I tried the jiggle the jack thing, and it worked a couple of times and then stopped.

A bit skeptical, I tried the toothpick probe. To my amazement, it worked. I really hope that this problem doesn't come back. Do you have any idea where the switch was inside of the headphone jack, in case I or others need to do this again?

I thought that I head a slight mechanical pop (like a switch getting un-stuck?) when I probed on the left side of the headphone port (as one looks into the port from the outside).

Check out the thread at:

http://discussions.apple.com/message...123746#2123746

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2006, 07:36 PM

Where on the left side would you guess? closer to the front, back? I've been trying for awhile now and havn't found the switch
www.mamomusic.net

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 02:24 PM

I re-read the thread, and can't see anywhere whether the startup 'bong' sounds. I suspect it does not from what you're saying?

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 01:00 AM

Yeah, it dosen't. It will when I have earphones pluged in the audio out, but with nothing in the port I do not hear it from the speakers. I'm assuming this means it's past just the switch. I guess i'll have to take it in to get it fixed. Do you have to have applecare for the people at an apple store to fix it? there is one fairly close to me, a few cities away...maybe like 40mins. I might just take it back there if they can fix it for a fee, instead of the whole apple care.
www.mamomusic.net

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 07:34 PM

just bumpin for possible answer?
www.mamomusic.net

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2006, 09:37 PM

just bumpin for possible answer?

Have you tried the toothpick method suggested just a few posts ago? I too have the same problem and I tried the wooden toothpick in the headphone jack and viola it worked. My internal speakers are now working again. If you haven't tried it already then give it a shot.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Mamo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2006, 11:25 PM

Yeah I tried the toothpick method, broke many many toothpicks but, still havn't found the swtich. You say it's on the left side right?
www.mamomusic.net

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2006, 01:15 AM

I really don't know where in the jack it is I just kinda swabbed all around with the toothpick and got it to work. I never did anything hard enough to break the toothpick though.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

skarim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 12:19 PM

my 12" powerbook has a similiar problem. Intermittent audio through the internal speakers, but reliable audio through earphones or to external speakers. Pushing the headphone jack in and out sometimes got the speakers to work.

my computer was recently sent in for a hard drive switch. Apple said that the audio jack was brooken, would cost $1200 to replace the logic board. no thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules