Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fonts

View Poll Results: Will having a lot of fonts installed slow a system down?
Poll Options:
Yes 6 votes (46.15%)
No 7 votes (53.85%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Fonts
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 08:31 AM

Hi.

Just a quick question...

Will having a lot of fonts installed slow a system down?

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 10:14 AM

In my experience, tons of fonts won't slow the system down, but it will slow individual applications down. Word is one of the worst in this regard: it checks the fonts every time you launch it, and the more fonts you have the longer it takes. Beyond that, Word will sometimes corrupt a font while "checking" it. If you need tons of fonts, download Linotypes font management app and organize your fonts properly.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 3, 2007, 10:51 AM

I think Don has it right. It will slow down individual programs. I don't know how slow though.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 3, 2007, 11:31 AM

Any number of fonts plus Linotype's FontExplorer X and some degree of knowledge = no slowdown.

Next question: Does having a large music collection slow down the launching of iTunes?!?

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Next question: Does having a large music collection slow down the launching of iTunes?!?
No, it won't. Simply because iTunes keeps an XML database of its library. The only reason I questioned this, was because I wasn't aware of how OS X dealt with fonts.

onlyone-jc.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2007, 02:02 PM

Thank you for all the replies/votes.

onlyone-jc.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 02:34 PM

A large photo collection feels like it slows iPhoto down...

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 3, 2007, 03:01 PM

No, it won't. Simply because iTunes keeps an XML database of its library. The only reason I questioned this, was because I wasn't aware of how OS X dealt with fonts.
Hmmm, at some point in time my iTunes seemed to become sluggish, I've steadily worked my way up to 15,000 odd tunes and figures it was that?

Perhaps it was an update that did it or using Album art? It now takes a good couple of seconds to load and has more slow down when shuffling tracks about, etc?

As for OS X and fonts - IMO Font Book is poop.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 11:50 PM

Define "a lot." Adding forty or fifty fonts to your font folder shouldn't be a problem, but if you've got 3 or 4 thousand, then you need to keep them in own directory and activate them with a pro font management program like Suitcase or Font Agent. That way, you can just activate the ones you need.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by JonoMarshall View Post
Any number of fonts plus Linotype's FontExplorer X and some degree of knowledge = no slowdown.
Agreed. FontExplorer's awesome.

Font Book on the other hand is a big bag of old lady poop.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Graviton View Post
Agreed. FontExplorer's awesome.

Font Book on the other hand is a big bag of old lady poop.
I used to be a Suitcase fa, but they seem to be going downhill. I have Suitcase XI on my machine at home, and it works well, but my experience with Fusion hasn't been good.

Of course, the best font manager evah was ATM Deluxe!
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Madrag
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 01:00 PM

in the OS 9 days I used Suitcase and it was very good!

In OS X I don't use any font manager, I just place the fonts into the Library and I'm good to go, I've never experienced any slowness due to the amount of fonts installed, but it's really a matter of how many is a lot, as chris v said...

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 4, 2007, 06:36 PM

This MacBook (home) has 750 odd, generally I only have 150 fonts active at any one time... no problems what-so-ever. Font Explorer handles everything perfectly.

At my old work place we had over 2500 fonts using Suitcase over the server and it kind've worked, odd font-based problems when generating postscripts though.

Now at work I have around 1300 localised fonts, but again, most of these are left over from old projects and only 200 fonts are active at any one time. I used to use Suitcase, but had some weird font issues in Final Cut, which were solved by moving to Font Explorer. (Although font corruptions were probably to blame and could've been rectified... Font Explorer just made the whole process much easier.)

If you want a simple font solution use Font Explorer... Suitcase and co work, but seem to require a little more effort.

Forum Links
Forum Rules