Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FileMaker Pro - Auto-Entry?

FileMaker Pro - Auto-Entry?
cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 12:38 AM

Hi folks, I have a fairly simple FileMaker problem...

I am making a database in which I would like to enter in a number in one field, then have that number refer to a product. I want it so that if the user enters in the number (most likely select from a drop-down menu of product numbers), the db will match it with the product, and auto-enter the product name into another field. Can this be done at all?

i.e., user selects "1111" from drop-down menu in one field called "product number", then in a field called "product name", the name of said product is auto-entered. Make sense?

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2002, 09:55 PM

The drop down menu of product numbers could be a Value List taken from the product code field (you could also choose to show the product name in this menu, otherwise it will just be a list of numbers...)

Next, make a Relationship between your new product number field, and the one you're looking up.

All the fields that you want to be 'auto-entered' must then be either 'looked up' or 'portaled' via the same relationship from the respective fields.

This is most common with 2 seperate files, i.e. Products and Orders, though I've (hopefully) worded it to not exclude the possibility you might be doing all this within one flat file.

If you get stuck you can send me the files and I'll demonstrate, although if FileMaker development is something you want to pursue, it may be worth persevering until it suddenly dawns...;-)
( Last edited by booboo; Dec 17, 2002 at 10:03 PM. )

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 11:04 PM

I agree, two databases one where the user enters stuff, with a relationship to the product database that matches product numbers with descriptions, as well as other information. I'm also willing to help with examples if needed, but check out the filemaker template dbs that came with filemaker and see if something comes close to what you want, then dissect it to see how it works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules