Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sigh.... The death of a powerbook...

Sigh.... The death of a powerbook...
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2002, 12:37 PM

Well,

I alluded to it in previous posts, and the sad day is here. My brand shiny new PeeCee turned up in its box with all its peripherals this morning. I'll post pictures of the funeral over the weekend.

Initial perceptions are okay. Presentation is stunning, much to look at.
Tis a sad day, truly.

Ben

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 02:21 PM

What is death? A PeeCee or a Powerbook? Makes the difference between laughing and crying

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
What is death? A PeeCee or a Powerbook? Makes the difference between laughing and crying

Pat
I know what you mean... but I think he meant that his PowerBook died so he bought a PC (which arrived in a box with all its peripherals today).

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:

I know what you mean... but I think he meant that his PowerBook died so he bought a PC (which arrived in a box with all its peripherals today).

Nope, My powerbook is alive. It's being put down later in the month. The shiny PC is almost happy. It has been munching on software updates all morning. It's FAAAaaaaaaaaast ! I'm going for a fourfold processor speed increase, megahurtz myth be damned ! :/

Actually I'm very impressed. Compaq with built in everything, even internal Wireless LAN. Couple of other neat things too - SPDIF digital audio out. WooHOO ! 1394 is on cardbus tho - no line power for my external disk I'll have an extra brick to lug.

Ben,

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:

Nope, My powerbook is alive. It's being put down later in the month. The shiny PC is almost happy. It has been munching on software updates all morning. It's FAAAaaaaaaaaast ! I'm going for a fourfold processor speed increase, megahurtz myth be damned ! :/

Actually I'm very impressed. Compaq with built in everything, even internal Wireless LAN. Couple of other neat things too - SPDIF digital audio out. WooHOO ! 1394 is on cardbus tho - no line power for my external disk I'll have an extra brick to lug.

Ben,
Why did you feel you needed to tell us you were selling out?... I'm happy for you, but I like my Mac(s).

euphras
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 06:16 PM

PLZ stop trolling. We don�t like to see pic�s of an incinerated Wallstreet, Pismo, Tibook or whatever Hardware that has done the work, you throw at it

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2002, 11:13 PM

This topic borders on abuse.

Wrong forum.

Wrong platform.

Just plain wrong.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2002, 12:56 AM

Check out Loser.com. They'll welcome your post, I'm sure.

PeteWK

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 17, 2002, 02:26 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The three last posters above this post can fucking die in a prion spill.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 05:27 AM

Originally posted by rampant:
I wasn't harassing the guy, by the way. "I'm happy he likes his PC... I like Macs." Simple, non-threatening message

I asked why he felt he needed to announce that he got a PC... because posting something like this in a Mac thread is kinda asking for controversy or a fight.

rampant
Banned
Aug 17, 2002, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by [APi]TheMan:

I wasn't harassing the guy, by the way. "I'm happy he likes his PC... I like Macs." Simple, non-threatening message

I asked why he felt he needed to announce that he got a PC... because posting something like this in a Mac thread is kinda asking for controversy or a fight.
You were the 4th, I didn't include you because you weren't insulting and made good use of the smiley. 4 stars!

pdot
Senior User
Aug 17, 2002, 01:06 PM

but don't you think he's kind of contradicting himself? His topic and first post sounds sad, but he goes and rave about his new computer on his second post. That's rather misleading and suspicious.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 02:41 PM

I seriously don't see why you're telling us this. I'm happy you're happy with your new PC. In my humble opinion, Compaq notebooks are utter pieces of over-priced junk with their copied styling, terrible, proprietary Windows installations, and nonexistent "support". I would have at least have gotten a Sony, Dell, or Toshiba...

Have fun on the other side of the fence, traitor!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 02:55 PM

You were the 4th, I didn't include you because you weren't insulting and made good use of the smiley. 4 stars!
Makes sense... I counted up twice... the second time I got 3... hehehe. Good to know I'm not on your bad list

rampant
Banned
Aug 17, 2002, 04:00 PM

Yes, because everyone knows I rule these forums.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2002, 04:40 PM

Yes, because everyone knows I rule these forums.
Right.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I seriously don't see why you're telling us this. I'm happy you're happy with your new PC. In my humble opinion, Compaq notebooks are utter pieces of over-priced junk with their copied styling, terrible, proprietary Windows installations, and nonexistent "support". I would have at least have gotten a Sony, Dell, or Toshiba...

Have fun on the other side of the fence, traitor!
A dying exhalation of the last breath. Apple, please get a grip on the business market. I'll move back, just build me a product that lasts the rigors of running back and forth through a large campus all day, opening and closing the screen, and please, if motorola are screwing you that badly, ditch them and find someone else. Theres a HELL of a difference between a 2GHz P4 and an 800MHz G4.

I'm not trolling, all the people that flamed, well, rot in hell

If anyone else has to go through this (not my choice by the way) then STAY AWAY from Sony. They really are cheap crap. The hinge on my eval unit broke after only a week.

As for proprietary... LOL. I did a clean install of XP on the beastie. The ONLY thing it didnt recognise was the ATI Mobility 7500. The drivers for that werent around when XP went to disc. A simple download later, and I've got Quake running a speedtest at 97fps @ 1280x1024 + 32 bpp.

Tis a sight for sore eyes.
(I use macromedia flash almost daily - and it is noticably faster on the PC. This is fact. Apple's developers are being crippled by slow progress on the CPU side (shoddy coding not withstanding) Sigh. I just hope they figure it out soon.

Cheers...
Ben.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 04:26 PM

Although I'm a die-hard PowerBook lover, I'd have to admit I wish Apple would at least build a laptop that's as durable as it is beautiful. I barely take it out of my room, but each time I pack and carry it like it's a newborn. Thirty days after their warranty "repair" I have cracking hinges, a messed up ethernet port, and a strange high-pitched hum. Looks like another backup, shipment, and waiting period.

The TiBook is great, but I'd have to say I liked the durability of the G3 Wallstreet and Pismos. Perhaps the new PowerBook should be made of ruggedized plastics or some form of steel. A 1Ghz+ processor wouldn't hurt either. Nevertheless, I'd never switch for speed reasons alone - it runs Adobe's Design Collection, Office, and UT wonderfully enough for my tastes. Good luck with your Compaq - you're always welcome back to the Apple world as far as I'm concerned.

nana4
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:

As for proprietary... LOL. I did a clean install of XP on the beastie. The ONLY thing it didnt recognise was the ATI Mobility 7500.
A clean install from what? Has Compaq started supplying proper OS CDs, or is it still using that "recovery disk" turd?

Forum Links
Forum Rules