Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 Owner

New G5 Owner
icemank121
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2004, 11:56 PM

Hello!

Today received my first PowerMac, a G5. I switched to mac from PC just ove a month ago to an eMac, that didnt last long, I got rid of it and got the G5. I am hooked.

My question is, are there any good resources for tweaking the G5 for performance? Or are there even any tweaks?

One more question, what is a good temperature monitoring prog?

Thanks!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2004, 12:21 AM

Your G5 is lacking performance?

KS-Jayhawk
Mar 5, 2004, 12:32 AM

I hope that you have better luck than me!!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2004, 01:17 AM

Why do you need to watch the temperature?

And as for performance what do you mean? Software or hardware?

The only thing you can really do is get G5 aware software such as PhotoShop CS.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by icemank121:
Hello!

Today received my first PowerMac, a G5. I switched to mac from PC just ove a month ago to an eMac, that didnt last long, I got rid of it and got the G5. I am hooked.

My question is, are there any good resources for tweaking the G5 for performance? Or are there even any tweaks?

One more question, what is a good temperature monitoring prog?

Thanks!
You can boost performance a bit by going to the Energy Saver control panel, and in the Options tab, set processor performance to Highest (default is Automatic). Your fans might rev up a slight bit, but usually settles back down. This keeps the bus slewing at full speed vs. ramping down during idle periods.

Some people have also suggested that turning off the G5's "Nap" mode via the CHUD developer tools boosts speed a tiny bit, but I have not found this to be the case. I've turned Nap off on my machine however to solve the dual G5 power supply chirping issue.

Plenty of RAM is also a good way to keep the machine running at top speed, but this is good advice regardless of CPU.

I've also found the longer my computer is faster after running several days than it is at a fresh boot, since OS X caches libraries & such in to any available RAM (releases the RAM if needed by an app, BTW, which is why looking at "free" RAM on OS X isn't too useful).

Unlike the PC, there is no BIOS in which one can overclock RAM timings, bus speed, etc. The upside to this is that you really don't need to monitor temps since the system can't be pushed beyond its thermal limit. Besides, the cooling system in G5 machines is so good, there really isn't a reason to monitor temps. There are, however, applications that can read the temp of the various sensors within the G5 case. Try a search on VersonTracker.com... I don't use any personally, so I can't give you a name of an app.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 12:54 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules