Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much is my iBook G3 worth?

How much is my iBook G3 worth?
alexrice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 02:27 PM

I want to sell my almost three-year old iBook and don't know the worth.It's a G3,500Mhz,128MB RAM,15GB HD,and a CD-ROM? Any ideas? I'm looking to buy a new G4 Powerbook,15.2" Al 1.33GHz stock or maybe a 14"iBook 1.2GHz with SuperDrive and Bluetooth,BTO........
iBook G3/500/128/15GB/CD-ROM
PowerBook G4 15'' 1.33GHz 256/60/
Combo in a few weeks

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 02:39 PM

They go on ebay for around 350-500 dollars.

More if it is in mint condition and you photograph it well..and include software, the box it came in...cd's it came with.... .......less if it is ragged out and scratched up.

Ebay is not for the faint of heart though. Do NOT ship until you get paid...and make sure to insure and register the package when you ship it.

Ebay is great for old ibooks. If you market it correctly with lots of software installed you will do well.

I just saw a mint keylime clamshell ibook sell for 875 dollars. The keylime clamshell ibooks are collectors items though and go fast.

I purchased a orange ibook on ebay for 320 dollars. Someone once said ibooks go for about a dollar per megahertz.

I have since upgraded it with a 40 gig drive and running panther on it. Its totally awesome.

Now I just need a lime green one!

( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Apr 24, 2004 at 02:45 PM. )

alexrice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2004, 02:48 PM

Well,I bought it from a Circuit City..and it was a display,so I have no original box,but I have everyhting else,like the VGA adapter,the power adapter,a Pro Mouse (white). And where it says iBook on the screen,the white casing on the screen is a bit curved so you see in a little. The hinges is creaky but it's fine. It's served me well,but I need a G4 with Altivec,for Panther..etc.
iBook G3/500/128/15GB/CD-ROM
PowerBook G4 15'' 1.33GHz 256/60/
Combo in a few weeks

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 03:25 PM

I did a search on eBay just this morning. Most iBooks of your model are going for $500 and up. If it were mine I wouldn't take a dime less than that.

rytc
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:

I just saw a mint keylime clamshell ibook sell for 875 dollars. The keylime clamshell ibooks are collectors items though and go fast.

Is this really the case? I myself am still running on a KeyLime iBook, I've always thought of it as pretty unique, I know of and have never seen another Key Lime in person (except for one in the Mac Store before I bought this). It's a pretty nice computer and the clamshells have a great keyboard, my only gripe is the 800x600 screen under OS X. I consider it the best computer I've owned though!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by rytc:
Is this really the case? I myself am still running on a KeyLime iBook, I've always thought of it as pretty unique, I know of and have never seen another Key Lime in person (except for one in the Mac Store before I bought this). It's a pretty nice computer and the clamshells have a great keyboard, my only gripe is the 800x600 screen under OS X. I consider it the best computer I've owned though!
yes..very much a collectors item...you could only buy the KeyLime model direct from Apple.

3 things going for the Keylime clamshells in terms of collectability and uniqueness:

1. color obviously which makes them rare
2. the keylime has a firewire port built in and a decent hard drive that can hold 10.3 just fine.
3. DVD-rom (the last clamshells..the lime and graphite where the only clamshell ibooks that have a built in dvd-rom..at least as an option).

I have a orange ibook (pictured in a post previously.scroll above..)..its awesome except for lack of firewire.

Want to trade?

rytc
Senior User
Apr 27, 2004, 05:02 PM

yes..very much a collectors item...you could only buy the KeyLime model direct from Apple.

3 things going for the Keylime clamshells in terms of collectability and uniqueness:

1. color obviously which makes them rare
2. the keylime has a firewire port built in and a decent hard drive that can hold 10.3 just fine.
3. DVD-rom (the last clamshells..the lime and graphite where the only clamshell ibooks that have a built in dvd-rom..at least as an option).

I have a orange ibook (pictured in a post previously.scroll above..)..its awesome except for lack of firewire.

Want to trade?

I recently upgraded the HD in this one to 40GB, so Panther has plenty of space now. The firewire port was a godsend when the iPod came out, I was tossing up at the time to buy a cheaper iBook without the firewire port but am certainly glad I didn't now.

Trade?!

Cheers

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by rytc:
I recently upgraded the HD in this one to 40GB, so Panther has plenty of space now. The firewire port was a godsend when the iPod came out, I was tossing up at the time to buy a cheaper iBook without the firewire port but am certainly glad I didn't now.

Trade?!

Cheers
Enjoy your keylime ibook !

I just had a 40 gig drive installed on my orange ibook as well.. running 10.3 very well....with 192 megs of ram. 300 mhz. just one usb port though..would be VERY nice to have a Firewire port, but its quite a workable machine with years of life left in it.

I'm bidding on blueberry 300 mhz ibook on ebay that is here in New York City for a friend of mine. He needs a good inexpensive rugged latop just for email and web ....and the clamshells fit the bill for that perfecty. The one I'm bidding on only has a 6 gig drive. I know I can get Jaguar onto a 6 gig drive, but not sure about Panther...but will give it a try!
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Apr 27, 2004 at 09:39 PM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2004, 03:58 AM

...Someone once said ibooks go for about a dollar per megahertz...
Totally True, most of the time - I was lucky and sold my iBook 700 and got �700 for it... (about $1000)

<-- pleased
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules