Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I get a full OS9.2.2 CD?

How do I get a full OS9.2.2 CD?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2004, 08:47 AM

I have a PBG4 Titanium which originally had OS9 installed on it. It had a bunch of issues which led to me wiping the hard drive, but in the end I had to take it in to get it repaired (which involved a motherboard replacement). I had backed up my Applications and Users folders before wiping the drive, but I didn't think to back up the OS9 System Folder, something I'm now kicking myself for.

The problem is that I have lost some of the disks which came with this machine. I have the System Restore disk, but this will mess up my new partitioning scheme. I don't have the OS9 disk which came with it, though, and that's a problem. I have an older 9.0 disk, but the machine won't boot from it. In desperation I copied the 9.2.2 System Folder (normally used for Classic) over from my PMG5, and although this boots, there are quite a few problems with it, and the OS9 installer won't run under that system anyway. I have a 9.2.2 update disk, but that's not bootable.

I remember that people here have mentioned ordering a full 9.2.2 CD from Apple before, but I can't find the the threads anymore. I didn't see OS9 listed in the Apple Store either, though that comes as no surprise. Given all this, how do I go about ordering one of these things from Apple?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 2004, 09:36 AM

You don't.

You buy it from one of the discount vendors in the back of any copy of Macworld or MacAddict.

tooki

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2004, 09:40 AM

IIRC, you can find the .img for the System on the Restore CD and use that to install just OS 9.x onto whatever partition you want. Does your restore CD have a "Configurations" folder on it with a .img file within? That .img is basically of your system as it shipped from the factory. Open it and use that as the source for your System Folder instead - it will have all the necessary system enablers etc that would have been added to the base OS9 system to make it functional on a PowerBook. Use your G5 to drag and drop it to your PowerBook and bless it. Then update to OS 9.2.2 using the standalone installers from the Apple website.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Nov 18, 2004, 01:30 PM

I've sent you a private message, Millennium.

Forum Links
Forum Rules