Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor makes clicking noise

Monitor makes clicking noise
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 01:54 PM

I have a Princeton LCD19D. Recently, the monitor has begun making a clicking noise randomly. It's mounted on the wall; it almost sounds as if it's just constantly 'settling,' if that makes any sense. This isn't the case, however, because when the monitor is off, the sounds disappears. I can't seem to find any particular action that causes the sound; it will just randomly occur. I have been using the monitor for about two months now. I just switched it over to my new mini from an older PC. I'm wondering if the noise has been there all alaong and I just couldn't hear it because of the PC's fan noise.
Any ideas?

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 12:21 PM

Any ideas? I don't wanna get stuck with a monitor that's gonna die soon.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 05:13 PM

I'm curious. How often does the clicking sound occur? And when it does happen, is there anything that happens on screen?

This issue may be similar to the "Pop of Death" problem that troubled the Apple Studio Display CRT monitors way back. I can't find the user video of someone showing what happens to it. This happened to my graphite ASD CRT 17" a few years ago. It started harmlessly enough with a "popping" sound (similar to the sound of an electric discharge, or a snap). Then it graduated to screwing up the monitor when it happened (the video would zoom in then go back to normal). Then finally, video blackout when it happened. A year or so later, the monitor finally gave up.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
I'm curious. How often does the clicking sound occur? And when it does happen, is there anything that happens on screen?

This issue may be similar to the "Pop of Death" problem that troubled the Apple Studio Display CRT monitors way back. I can't find the user video of someone showing what happens to it. This happened to my graphite ASD CRT 17" a few years ago. It started harmlessly enough with a "popping" sound (similar to the sound of an electric discharge, or a snap). Then it graduated to screwing up the monitor when it happened (the video would zoom in then go back to normal). Then finally, video blackout when it happened. A year or so later, the monitor finally gave up.
Thanks for the reply. It does in fact sound like static discharge. However, there is no effect on the display itself (nothing happens to the picture). I would say it occurs about every 5 minutes or so. Sometimes it seems to correlate loading a web page after the browser has been idle for a while, but I think that might just be a coincidence.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 04:21 PM

Something I've done in the past to "prolong" my monitor was to use a can of compressed air and blow the dust off the CRT's back. The design of the ASD CRT's was in such a way that there were large vent holes in the back (to allow cooling), but at the same time allowed dust to settle in. It wasn't easy getting the monitor chassis off.

If your monitor is still under warranty, you might want to get in touch with the manufacturer to check and see if they can offer diagnostic/repair service on your monitor. Better to catch the problem now than to wait.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005, 06:57 PM

After some careful analysis, I think I've determined the problem. The monitor is VESA mounted to my wall. I think the noise is caused by the VESA mount pulling on the plastic on the back of the monitor. Originally, I only noticed the sound while the comp was on, but alas, it happens all the time. After some repositioning, I think I may have fixed the problem. Thanks for all your responses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules