Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Restart on PB?

OS X Restart on PB?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 02:44 PM

I've got a 17" Rev A that I generally leave turned on. I simply close the cover and it goes into standby when I'm done working. The machine is almost always plugged into the power supply.

Am running 10.4.2 with a gig of ram. The problem has been occuring for several months, and I just upgraded to 10.4.2, so I doubt it is related to the recent OS upgrade.

Here's the error message: "The computer was restarted after OS X quit unexpectedly. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple."

9 times out of 10 nothing happens when I click on the report button and end up just clicking OK to get on with my thing. The error message appears when I try to take the machine out of standby by opening the lid - which doesn't work and I end up having to hold down the power button to perform a cold boot.

And a photo:

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? No new hardware additions or even software additions in the last year or so.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2005, 02:49 PM

WOW! It's kind of cool, in a perverse way. There's only one other reference to it that I could find online, here at Mac OS X.com. The guy's log reported it as a kernel panic. So that messages confirms you are indeed experiencing a KP upon wake. Tiger is set to notify the user after a panic. Very interesting. I don't know why your PB isn't waking. Certain Macs just have problems with sleep - it's a pretty random thing. If I were in your position, I'd take it in for servicing. I don't think such a malfunction should be tolerated on such an expensive piece of equipment.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 15, 2005 at 02:57 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 03:40 AM

The difficulty with fixing this issue is that no one really knows what's causing it. The suspicion is that it's a software bug, as replacing the hardware doesn't fix the problem, but neither does a fresh copy of the software. I had this difficulty once on a 12" PB G4... replaced the logic board myself, and I sent it to Apple. I think one of the OS updates finally fixed the guy's problem, because after an OS update, I never heard back from him.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2005, 09:22 AM

Run Disk Utility and Diskwarrior if you have it. Can also try bad ram. If not, backup and reinstall and see if that helps.

OT: Wow, folders on the desktop. So, last century.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Run Disk Utility and Diskwarrior if you have it. Can also try bad ram. If not, backup and reinstall and see if that helps.

OT: Wow, folders on the desktop. So, last century.
Ran both Disk Utility and Disk Warrior to no effect. Unlikely to be bad ram due to no other issues and the fact that the ram has been in the system since day one. Could it have gone bad? Ah, sure. LIkely, not really.

OT: Backup and reinstall? Man... so, 80's!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules