Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano 8 GB

iPod nano 8 GB
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:23 AM

I just recieved my new toy. I'll post my first imressions later, since the lack of time to do it now.

http://axiom.gmxhome.de/ipod

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 12:14 PM

Ordered within 10 minutes of the Apple store coming back up. It's awesome

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:41 PM

even though ill never end up with one of these (imma bit of a control freak and need all my music with me on the go) im glad its all black and doesnt have that stupid grey scroll wheel like the 5th gen ipod.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tjash1991
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2006, 01:44 PM

You'll be very happy when you do get it.

I love my 8gb Black Nano, although I wish I would've gotten the greeen so it would be more uniqye and noticable. People only notice its not the old one when they hold it and notice it doesnt feel the same as the old one and they ask why. and I tell them.

But o well. I was amazed, last night I took to to a football game, and put it in my pocket all nice except for when I took it out to let people listen to it and it didnt get 1 mark! My previous generation was horrible, the first day i got it I put it in my pocket, and guess how many scratchs the dang thing got? Holy god. I was so amazed and I am so happy apple fixed the scratching problem.

Also itunes 7 I like so much better then the previous versions, especially the ipod manager part.

The only thing I am bummed out about is that it has been 3 days, and they already had a whole spread of these babies to raffle off at the football game, everyone will have one in the next few days (but o well, what should I be expecting?) I almost won one to, I was 2 #s off. It was 56237 and I had 56273.

Overall I am very satisfied.

masugu
Senior User
Sep 18, 2006, 02:22 AM

So far so good...But now I am paranoid about using it - without a case. Love the thinness...but will the screen scratch? Thinking maybe I wait until Agent 18 comes out with a case.

Big complaint is Apple will not make Black earbuds. I know they want the brand equity / differentiation of the white ear phones, but it really throws off the aesthetic.

I have some $180 Shure noise cancelling phones which blow away the ipod standard issue phones...but alas the ear pieces are white and the cord is gray. I know, I should not be concerned about this, but I am bugged.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

BigSim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 02:46 AM

I noticed a quirk with the 8gb: I was playing the music quiz last night for kicks, and I got sick of it and turned the iPod off, but the music kept playing

I don't know if this happened on the old iPods, and I'm not saying it bothers me, I just thought I'd share

Sparkletron
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 10:40 AM

Been using my 8 GB for a few days now.

Although most of the chassis is now aluminum and holding up very well to abuse, the bottom and particularly the top are still made of the same scratch-happy plastic as before. Needless to say, after a mere two days of use, I have scratched the top up like crazy (probably just using my thumb). I don't really care about scratches so long as it's not the screen, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

I also notice the Nano has some problems with resuming. Sometimes it sort of hangs for several seconds when you restart a particularly long Podcast.

-S

Naplander
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 12:49 PM

I got mine yesterday, and I absolutely love it!

I got the first generation 10gig about 4 years ago (which needs a new battery, but otherwise still going strong). Also have an old 512mb shuffle, and the black Nano is by far the nicest iPod I've owned

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 09:09 PM

howzabout the screen itself? is it a bit more scratch resistant than previous iPods?

That would be a hard question to answer as I'm sure you're not willing to inflict damage on your new toy
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 09:28 PM

Man I just purchase a 1st generation 2gb nano today. Probably one of the dumbiest things I've done in a while. I should have just spent the money and got an 8gb ipod or better because this things almost full. Good luck with all the new nano's . I have an old nano and no space.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 09:59 PM

you dont buy a nano to store all your music...you buy a nano to have a decent amount of music around with you. you buy a regular ipod when you want all your music on you, least thats how i see it. just upload the jams you want to hear and dont sweat the new stuff.

8gb is a decent amount to hold an entire library, but even that will shorten up on you in a years time.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jaydon34
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
you dont buy a nano to store all your music...you buy a nano to have a decent amount of music around with you. you buy a regular ipod when you want all your music on you, least thats how i see it. just upload the jams you want to hear and dont sweat the new stuff.

8gb is a decent amount to hold an entire library, but even that will shorten up on you in a years time.
I know but for some reason I thought 2gb would go a little further. Guess not
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

wow.... I've finally received the iPod I've been longing for....

I remembered when the iPod mini 6GB was gonna be discontinued.... Everyone logically thought that the new iPod minis would come in 6 GB and 8 GB varieties.

Alot of people were disappointed when the nanos came out but only in 2 GB and 4 GB configurations....

I'm happy to see the 8 GB capacity replacing a well-used iPod mini.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that my Speck Toughskin that I had for my 1st generation nano still fits on my new nano.

It's too bad my Matias nano armor case doesn't fit.... The new nano is just a little taller than the case... Oh well.....

polytronics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2006, 04:02 AM

I just bought an iPod nano 8 Gb and noticed that it makes a little very acute noise when it's turned on, the sounds comes from the device itself and doesn't come out from the headphones.

The strange thig is all 8 Gb nano's I tested (4) have that same problem.

The 2 and 4 Gb models are ok, no whistling.

Can you please put your 8 Gb near your ears and tell me if you hear something too.
Thank's

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 03:16 PM

I don't hear anything at all on my 8gb nano.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 4, 2006, 09:20 PM

i hear a short, sharp static sound when I'm waking up the iPod from sleep. I have the 8GB Nano. I hear it through my headphones....

Maybe it's a sudden surge of battery to activate the audio output? dunno.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
i hear a short, sharp static sound when I'm waking up the iPod from sleep. I have the 8GB Nano. I hear it through my headphones....

Maybe it's a sudden surge of battery to activate the audio output? dunno.
I hear that sound as well, but nothing like polytronics is mentioning. The static-like sound has happened with every iPod that I've owned over the last 4 years.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

0s and 1s
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 10:15 PM

....I had the "noise" on the 2gb Nano I bought a couple of weeks ago. I returned it for an 8gb, and I still hear it. Funny thing is, I can hear it in my headphones, but I wasn't able to hear it on the 2gb's headphones.

It's annoying, especially when I hook the Nano to my receiver. I'm returning it tomorrow.

I've been through at least 6+ iPods the last 4 years, and this is the first time I've ever had this problem.

Naplander
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 08:24 AM

I can hear the whine if I put it right near my ear, but it really is difficult to hear, and isn't really a problem

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 5, 2006, 08:46 PM

i don't hear anything from the 8 GB nano itself. it's only after a "deep" sleep where I haven't touched the nano for a while, I'll hear the static sound only on the headphones....

Forum Links
Forum Rules