Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is there any intel reference on the outside of a MBP?

Is there any intel reference on the outside of a MBP?
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2006, 08:35 PM

I remember when the intel switch was announced, some people were freaking out over whether or not Macs would become stuck all over with the stickers that are so common on every PC. Clearly, that hasn't happened.

I was wondering though if there was any indication of "Intel Inside" on the outsides of MBP or any other intel mac. Perhaps engraved along with the regulatory logos on the bottom. Anything?

ImpulseResponse

ibook_steve
Oct 10, 2006, 08:57 PM

No. Just MacBook or MacBook Pro instead of Powerbook. Apple would *never* tarnish the design with anything like stickers or engraving (different for the iPod, of course).

Steve

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
No. Just MacBook or MacBook Pro instead of Powerbook. Apple would *never* tarnish the design with anything like stickers or engraving (different for the iPod, of course).

Steve
There's already of a bunch of logos engraved on the bottom of MacBooks and MacBook Pros. I was wondering if they might had added a small 'intel inside' logo to the standard ones that are on the PowerBook/iBook.

ImpulseResponse

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2006, 02:17 AM

may i ask why?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2006, 02:27 AM

The purpose of Intel Inside stickers is to promote Intel. They only appear on the visible areas of computers.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 03:10 AM

out of curiousity, was that started as a requirement from intel? or did the PC laptops start that as a way for men to prove their manhood by having the latest and greatest?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

GSixZero  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 05:17 AM

I would have been really surprised if Apple had put any intel reference on the outside of their machines, but I thought it was worth asking.

The stickers are just advertisements, on which Intel pays for by discounting chips to manufactures. They also pay 50% of advertising costs for any computer ad that shows the intel logo and the intel 4 beat song.

Imagine being Intel... they're selling a product which almost no one would know exists unless you told them about specifically about it. Their marketing depends on spending a bazillion dollars on advertising so the consumer thinks that they want intel for no good reason other than they have cool commercials. Then the consumer goes to compUSA or BestBuy and they need to know which laptop to buy... well the one with the intel sticker of course. It's their way of connecting TV adverts with in store experience.

ImpulseResponse

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2006, 07:46 AM

You find Core Duo logos on the boxes. Nothing more. My MacBook Pro has no logos on the bottom. Heck, it doesn't even say what speed it has!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
I would have been really surprised if Apple had put any intel reference on the outside of their machines, but I thought it was worth asking.

The stickers are just advertisements, on which Intel pays for by discounting chips to manufactures. They also pay 50% of advertising costs for any computer ad that shows the intel logo and the intel 4 beat song.

Imagine being Intel... they're selling a product which almost no one would know exists unless you told them about specifically about it. Their marketing depends on spending a bazillion dollars on advertising so the consumer thinks that they want intel for no good reason other than they have cool commercials. Then the consumer goes to compUSA or BestBuy and they need to know which laptop to buy... well the one with the intel sticker of course. It's their way of connecting TV adverts with in store experience.
Exactly. "Intel Inside" was incredibly effective, when you think about it. You probably have a pretty wide consumer base out there that had little idea who Intel was, don't really even know what the CPU is, etc....... but to this day they are probably still quite convinced that they need a computer with "Intel Inside". AMD in particular had to overcome a lot of obstacles, and frankly still does seem to face some challenges on the consumer end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules