Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 2: What it Should Be

iPad 2: What it Should Be (Page 4)
freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 30, 2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
If you compare hardware sales and not the OS, Apple is doing excellent compared to the other hardware vendors. Google is copying Microsoft's strategy. No reason not to, it works. However, people constantly compare Apple with Microsoft in terms of market share, instead of Apple versus Dell or Acer. Microsoft doesn't make a computer, and Google doesn't make a phone. Even if Google OS takes over the market, you need perspective: what is the market share of the iPhone versus HTC, not Google?
You said it yourself. Doesn't really matter. The bottom line is Android is a viable development platform., and has exploded in growth well past iOS.

The interesting thing about it is that it's a pretty good operating system, unlike what DOS was. That's the major difference that I think will carry it to huge growth, along with it being on a zillion devices. It needs to be good per sey because consumers have and will have so much choice in this space. It wasn't like that in the beginning of the PC industry. In fact, the desktop PC is just dead, like Windows and OS X, a sprinkle of Linux. Mobile operating systems are way more plentiful and marketshare is way more evenly distributed in comparison. It's fun to watch all this go down.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If Android DIDN'T have a higher marketshare there would be something REALLY wrong. So we can give the marketshare debate a rest. That is a given and always will be. Apple will NEVER have the marketshare as one manufacture, that is a fact and always will be if they continue to be one manfacture.
As Apple demonstrated with the iPod a couple years ago, you can dominate marketshare as one manufacturer with one exclusive OS and a pair of devices. So their failure to translate the iPod domination into a more significant iPhone marketshare is notable.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 30, 2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
As Apple demonstrated with the iPod a couple years ago, you can dominate marketshare as one manufacturer with one exclusive OS and a pair of devices. So their failure to translate the iPod domination into a more significant iPhone marketshare is notable.
That's a good point. As I said earlier, it's because there're more variables in relationship to consumers and cell phones. They have to deal with carriers, plans, restrictions, network speeds, local availability, etc. All this influences what they buy.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
That's a good point. As I said earlier, it's because there're more variables in relationship to consumers and cell phones. They have to deal with carriers, plans, restrictions, network speeds, local availability, etc. All this influences what they buy.
Ironically that's why I think that your usage of the market share numbers cannot be considered accurate. All of these variables result in skewed numbers that doesn't necessarily indicate what people are actually choosing in the end. How many people don't buy an iPhone because it's locked to AT&T? How many people buy an Android phone because there is a promotion going on? What about people buying a phone simply just because they get good coverage from carrier A from carrier B in their home?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Nov 30, 2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ironically that's why I think that your usage of the market share numbers cannot be considered accurate. All of these variables result in skewed numbers that doesn't necessarily indicate what people are actually choosing in the end. How many people don't buy an iPhone because it's locked to AT&T? How many people buy an Android phone because there is a promotion going on? What about people buying a phone simply just because they get good coverage from carrier A from carrier B in their home?
Nobody cares. It's about development viability. The best guy doesn't always win.

Why doesn't the iPhone have more marketshare? Crap network in the US anyway. Overly controlled app store. Antennae problems. Supply constraints. Each has their problems.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2010, 09:31 PM

The cell market is no way comparable to the mp3 market, since don't have to deal with carriers and can serve 100% of the market from the gate. With the mobile market have to deal with carriers, a major factor of which the iPhone is limited. With those issues they are doing pretty darn good, I think we all agree.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2010, 02:28 AM

Why doesn't the iPhone have more marketshare? Crap network in the US anyway. Overly controlled app store. Antennae problems. Supply constraints. Each has their problems.
Networks is the only reason.

The other "reasons" are excuses made by people who would never buy a Apple product in the first place.

95% of consumers don't give a f@ck about the app store not allowing some apps, the antenna problem. Supply contraints were only a problem in the beginning, but not on an ongoing basis (if you exclude the white iPhsone).

-t

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Networks is the only reason.

The other "reasons" are excuses made by people who would never buy a Apple product in the first place.

95% of consumers don't give a f@ck about the app store not allowing some apps, the antenna problem. Supply contraints were only a problem in the beginning, but not on an ongoing basis (if you exclude the white iPhsone).

-t
Pretty two dimensional thinking. 4 of us here ditched our iPhone 4s because we all don't like the design and the antennae is flawed. We're all Apple lovers and use OS X. On Android and WP7 in lieu now. Maybe we're the only ones in the world who don't like the iPhone 4. Or maybe we're in your "pull stuff out of bags full of BS" 5%.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2010, 04:58 AM

As this thread clearly demonstrates, you do NOT speak for the general public.

But you can continue to think you do.

-t

OreoCookie
Dec 1, 2010, 06:46 AM

Pretty two dimensional thinking. 4 of us here ditched our iPhone 4s because we all don't like the design and the antennae is flawed. We're all Apple lovers and use OS X. On Android and WP7 in lieu now. Maybe we're the only ones in the world who don't like the iPhone 4. Or maybe we're in your "pull stuff out of bags full of BS" 5%.
I think you're a bunch of geeks (no offense intended) and thus different from the average Joe/Mary. And yes, I think you belong to this very small minority. (So do I, of course. )

The average consumer doesn't know about `antennagate,' and if consumer ratings are anything to go by, they're overwhelmingly happy with the iPhone 4. What the average consumer does know about is that they have to choose a carrier and up until recently, here in Germany, you were confined to one carrier if you wanted to have an iPhone. Since all mobile phone carriers use GSM, the choice of carrier is purely a business decision and is not dictated by technology like in the US.

However, I think you fail to take one fact into consideration in this whole discussion regarding the competition between Windows Phone 7 and Android: they target the exact same manufacturers! So they don't have the potential to expand both at the same time only at the expense of the iPhone and Nokia devices. Some manufacturers decided to go for a dual strategy: build essentially one phone for both OS. I think there will be a lot of cannibalization and even though you cannot predict commercial success from technological capabilities (otherwise, the Palm Pre would have been much more successful), Windows Phone 7 has a few advantages to Android (e. g. when it comes to games).

Regarding the iPod analogy, I agree that the difference is the existence of the carriers who overwhelmingly still haven't understood the turn of time: they don't want to be `pipes,' i. e. ISPs. They have been the major obstacle to technological progress. In 2003/2004, when I lived in Japan, having e-mail on your cell phone was something normal, like having an address book. It's much easier (and cheaper) to send e-mails to a whole bunch of people rather than having to send individual sms. Coming back to Germany, my new phone felt crippled.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I think you're a bunch of geeks (no offense intended) and thus different from the average Joe/Mary. And yes, I think you belong to this very small minority. (So do I, of course. )

The average consumer doesn't know about `antennagate,' and if consumer ratings are anything to go by, they're overwhelmingly happy with the iPhone 4. What the average consumer does know about is that they have to choose a carrier and up until recently, here in Germany, you were confined to one carrier if you wanted to have an iPhone. Since all mobile phone carriers use GSM, the choice of carrier is purely a business decision and is not dictated by technology like in the US.

However, I think you fail to take one fact into consideration in this whole discussion regarding the competition between Windows Phone 7 and Android: they target the exact same manufacturers! So they don't have the potential to expand both at the same time only at the expense of the iPhone and Nokia devices. Some manufacturers decided to go for a dual strategy: build essentially one phone for both OS. I think there will be a lot of cannibalization and even though you cannot predict commercial success from technological capabilities (otherwise, the Palm Pre would have been much more successful), Windows Phone 7 has a few advantages to Android (e. g. when it comes to games).

Regarding the iPod analogy, I agree that the difference is the existence of the carriers who overwhelmingly still haven't understood the turn of time: they don't want to be `pipes,' i. e. ISPs. They have been the major obstacle to technological progress. In 2003/2004, when I lived in Japan, having e-mail on your cell phone was something normal, like having an address book. It's much easier (and cheaper) to send e-mails to a whole bunch of people rather than having to send individual sms. Coming back to Germany, my new phone felt crippled.
Too many handset makers and handsets... More than enough to go around.

Obviously we're not part of a small minority. We're part of 25% of the world's smartphone population.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 01:08 PM

I think this thread might benefit from a review of the Cognitive Dissonance theory.

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's what it says:

You make a choice between 2 very desirable objects. Having chosen object A, you experience dissonance because you're not totally sure it's the right choice, given how other respected folks have chosen object B.

To calm this dissonance within yourself, you actively seek out reviews and statistics that approve of your choice, while at the same time actively ignoring reviews and statistics that run counter to your choice. Within a particular review, you rate favorable portions very highly while actively discounting unfavorable portions. You begin to hang out with those who made a similar decision and you avoid hanging out with anyone who chose the other object.

If you can't avoid hanging out with those who made the opposite decision, you actively begin proselitizing about the benefits of your chosen device while pointing out the deficits of their chosen device. Spirited discussions ensue, because your opponents are actively justifying their choices, quoting their own favorable reviews, assuaging their own dissonance.

When you and your opponents are looking at the exact same study, you will highlight what you consider to be favorable statistics while disparaging the parts that your opponents will cite to justify their decision. In effect, you will insist that your device is (half-)full while maintaining that their device is (half-)empty, and they will delight in accusing you of the exact same thing. Everyone is quite determined to avoid talking about the (half-) portion.

This has been going on for ages and ages. Here's the classic example from the Wikipedia article:

"A classical example of this idea (and the origin of the expression "sour grapes") is expressed in the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating, as they must not be ripe or that they are sour. This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it."

The sad part about citing the above example is that someone is now bound to come along in this thread and accuse someone else in this thread of "sour grapes."

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I think this thread might benefit from a review of the Cognitive Dissonance theory.

Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's what it says:

You make a choice between 2 very desirable objects. Having chosen object A, you experience dissonance because you're not totally sure it's the right choice, given how other respected folks have chosen object B.

To calm this dissonance within yourself, you actively seek out reviews and statistics that approve of your choice, while at the same time actively ignoring reviews and statistics that run counter to your choice. Within a particular review, you rate favorable portions very highly while actively discounting unfavorable portions. You begin to hang out with those who made a similar decision and you avoid hanging out with anyone who chose the other object.

If you can't avoid hanging out with those who made the opposite decision, you actively begin proselitizing about the benefits of your chosen device while pointing out the deficits of their chosen device. Spirited discussions ensue, because your opponents are actively justifying their choices, quoting their own favorable reviews, assuaging their own dissonance.

When you and your opponents are looking at the exact same study, you will highlight what you consider to be favorable statistics while disparaging the parts that your opponents will cite to justify their decision. In effect, you will insist that your device is (half-)full while maintaining that their device is (half-)empty, and they will delight in accusing you of the exact same thing. Everyone is quite determined to avoid talking about the (half-) portion.

This has been going on for ages and ages. Here's the classic example from the Wikipedia article:

"A classical example of this idea (and the origin of the expression "sour grapes") is expressed in the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop (ca. 620–564 BCE). In the story, a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. When the fox is unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating, as they must not be ripe or that they are sour. This example follows a pattern: one desires something, finds it unattainable, and reduces one's dissonance by criticizing it."

The sad part about citing the above example is that someone is now bound to come along in this thread and accuse someone else in this thread of "sour grapes."
I couldn't agree with this post more. Very insightful post. I've been objective. I've stated many times that I like Apple, use their products, and don't like Windows. This per sey I feel makes my assessments more valid than either an Android/WP7 fanboy or an Apple fanboy. All people do on here is defend Apple and refuse to believe that there are merits to the competition.

My whole point here is that Android and the Tab... A good experience. I like it better than the iPad. Of course you don't have to hold that view, but just stubbornly defending Apple is going to get things nowhere, in life and in business.

Andrew88088
Dec 1, 2010, 02:49 PM

Apple has largest U.S. smartphone OS share, says Nielsen

According to a new study from Nielsen, 29.7 percent of U.S. mobile subscribers now own smartphones, and the report provides compelling information on which operating systems are the most popular, as well as which operating system various age groups, genders, and users are more likely to switch to. Nielsen's study is a result of a market snapshot taken during October 2010.

Nielsen's report found that Apple has the largest operating system share in the United States (27.9 percent), followed closely by RIM's BlackBerry OS (27.4 percent), Android (22.7 percent), and Microsoft's Windows Mobile (14 percent). Symbian (3.4 percent), Linux (3.3 percent), and Palm OS (1.3 percent), brought up the rear.

The largest group of smartphone owners surveyed who are planning to upgrade to a new smartphone (35 percent) showed a preference for the iPhone and its iOS operating system versus 28 percent preferring Android. When you look at current feature phone users planning to purchase a smartphone, the numbers tilt in Android's favor, with 28 percent, besting Apple's 25 percent score.

The report also found that younger audiences (18-23 and 24-34) were more likely to upgrade to an iOS smartphone than one based on other platforms, while ages 35-54 were most interested in an Android smartphone. The study also indicated that more men (32.6 percent) want an Android smartphone next, while the largest group of women (30.9 percent) are most interested in an Apple iOS powered phone.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 03:14 PM

Worldwide smartphone os marketshare
Android: 25.5%
iOS: 16.7%

Android catching up to Symbian, explosive growth in the US.

Could you imagine a world outside the US?

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/11/10...-market-share/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 03:20 PM

Installed base numbers always lag marketshare numbers.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 03:25 PM

Installed base numbers always lag marketshare numbers.
Lol.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2010, 03:41 PM

I couldn't agree with this post more. Very insightful post. I've been objective. I've stated many times that I like Apple, use their products, and don't like Windows. This per sey I feel makes my assessments more valid than either an Android/WP7 fanboy or an Apple fanboy. All people do on here is defend Apple and refuse to believe that there are merits to the competition.

My whole point here is that Android and the Tab... A good experience. I like it better than the iPad. Of course you don't have to hold that view, but just stubbornly defending Apple is going to get things nowhere, in life and in business.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry...

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Don't know whether to laugh or cry...
amazing. I hear you. How about this. I like Apple and use their products. I like Google and use their products. I don't like MS and use their products.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 04:04 PM

Worldwide smartphone os marketshare
Android: 25.5%
iOS: 16.7%

Android catching up to Symbian, explosive growth in the US.

Could you imagine a world outside the US?

Android Catching Symbian for Worldwide Market Share
Oh my God, if you post those numbers one more time, I will never, ever come onto the internet again.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2010, 04:11 PM

Hey mitchell, why don't you own iDevices anymore? If you've already explained why please excuse my ignorance.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 04:41 PM

There are a few reasons. The main reason is that I simply got a bored with iOS. It's a great platform and I enjoy using it, but I just wanted to try something new. Second, iOS just wasn't fitting into my workflow any more, mainly because of the notifications and lock screen. I really like Microsoft's everything at a glance outlook on this, and hope others follow along. Third, the hardware. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of industrial design, if not a bit of a fantasy. It's like an Alfa Romeo, I'm always impressed with the design, but not the concessions made in the name of design, specifically regarding the scratch-prone back and the 3.5" screen. Now none of these are particularly giant issues, but since there is a lot of choice out there right now, I've decided to give other platforms a go. I will say though that I don't really think there is one perfect device on one perfect platform that I've come across yet. There is some very good hardware out there that is crippled by software (Nokia N8), and some very good software that is crippled by hardware (webOS). I'm just trying stuff out right now (being friends with a higher-up T-Mobile exec in Bellevue helps).

I still am 100% Apple hardware though for computers, and there is no way I'm gonna drop my MacBook Pro or iMac. I'm also probably going to get into the tablet space, perhaps with the iPad 2.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 06:16 PM

There are a few reasons. The main reason is that I simply got a bored with iOS. It's a great platform and I enjoy using it, but I just wanted to try something new. Second, iOS just wasn't fitting into my workflow any more, mainly because of the notifications and lock screen. I really like Microsoft's everything at a glance outlook on this, and hope others follow along. Third, the hardware. The iPhone is a beautiful piece of industrial design, if not a bit of a fantasy. It's like an Alfa Romeo, I'm always impressed with the design, but not the concessions made in the name of design, specifically regarding the scratch-prone back and the 3.5" screen. Now none of these are particularly giant issues, but since there is a lot of choice out there right now, I've decided to give other platforms a go. I will say though that I don't really think there is one perfect device on one perfect platform that I've come across yet. There is some very good hardware out there that is crippled by software (Nokia N8), and some very good software that is crippled by hardware (webOS). I'm just trying stuff out right now (being friends with a higher-up T-Mobile exec in Bellevue helps).

I still am 100% Apple hardware though for computers, and there is no way I'm gonna drop my MacBook Pro or iMac. I'm also probably going to get into the tablet space, perhaps with the iPad 2.
Interesting. It's for these reasons and others that I dropped the iPhone 4. I agree about WP7. It sort of just comes to you. I got bored of iOS too.

I found out today that with WP7, you get something like a mobileme for free. 25 GB upload media from your phone to it.

I also really like the camera because it has more settings than the iPhone that all just sort of make sense. But ya, the live tiles and immersive approach has won me over. WebOS is also really awesome, but the above poster is right. Limited by hardware.

If Palm would have released a touch only, razor thin phone I bet they would have sold a lot more. Pre isn't that bad but the slide out keyboard and smaller screen detract away from the OS.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 06:35 PM

I like the settings of the WP7 camera app, but I hate how it always forgets your resolution when you close the app.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 1, 2010, 08:56 PM

I like the settings of the WP7 camera app, but I hate how it always forgets your resolution when you close the app.
Ya, I agree. I read another article about a huge update for WP7 coming in February. I think they don't want too much development on it yet, until that update is there. That would coincide with developer payments in February.

Us early users have to realize we're early adopters.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2010, 11:09 PM

Microsoft was always very open on what wouldn't be included with the launch release. They've officially announced that the first update will include copy and paste. Multitasking is on the roadmap, but they don't want to put a date to it. Microsoft really want to get this right in every way.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2010, 11:20 AM

All glory to the hypnotoad.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 2, 2010, 12:14 PM

I was just going to post that. Recent survey, 85% of non tablet owners prefer iPad over Tab? Something like that. We'll see what happens in the market. It's funny, I was iPad crazy for a few months but after using both now in the real world I prefer the Tab because it's way more portable and light. But anyway, the market will decide.

MacDailyNews - Analyst: 85% of non-tablet owners prefer Apple iPad over Samsung's Galaxy Tab

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 2, 2010, 01:16 PM

Interesting take on that survey. Only 65 respondents.

55 people think the iPad is more valuable than the Galaxy Tab -- Engadget

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2010, 01:41 PM

I wonder if people who ride mass transit prefer Ferrari or Porsche.
( Last edited by mduell; Dec 3, 2010 at 01:31 AM. )

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
1. More speed

2. Make the smallest hard drive 32 Gb.

3. USB connector. I want to connect a folding keyboard.

4. Flat back, so it doesn't wobble

5. Agree about two cameras, one front, but the one making it a camera would be more important to me.

6. Less frame, more screen

Generally, the iPad 1 has an amazing screen, which is why photographers love it. I hope the next screen will not lose that sensual quality images get on the iPad.

7. If it could drop weight, it would be nice.
I agree in all accounts =)

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2010, 03:54 PM

I was just going to post that. Recent survey, 85% of non tablet owners prefer iPad over Tab? Something like that. We'll see what happens in the market. It's funny, I was iPad crazy for a few months but after using both now in the real world I prefer the Tab because it's way more portable and light. But anyway, the market will decide.

MacDailyNews - Analyst: 85% of non-tablet owners prefer Apple iPad over Samsung's Galaxy Tab
This data came from Gene Munster who is regarded by many as an irresponsible analyst. Furthermore, that data came from a population of 65, not 65K just 65 people. To me thats a hell of a small sample of the total population...

EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/02/5...he-galaxy-tab/

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 2, 2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jack-o-Bower View Post
This data came from Gene Munster who is regarded by many as an irresponsible analyst. Furthermore, that data came from a population of 65, not 65K just 65 people. To me thats a hell of a small sample of the total population...

EDIT: 55 people think the iPad is more valuable than the Galaxy Tab (updated) -- Engadget
Jack-O-Doesn't read other posts.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 12:46 PM

iPad: 1MM units in 28 days with no significant competitors.

Galaxy Tab: 1MM units in less than 2 months against the full force of iPad sales and all the minor Android tablets (Archos, etc).

I'd say we have a two horse race.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 02:51 PM

iPad: 1MM units in 28 days with no significant competitors.

Galaxy Tab: 1MM units in less than 2 months against the full force of iPad sales and all the minor Android tablets (Archos, etc).

I'd say we have a two horse race.
Am I the only one to have never seen a Galaxy Tab in the wild? I get asked about my iPad all the time, and I'm seeing more and more of them in the business world, but I have yet to run across a Tab.

I know that doesn't mean anything since it's just anecdotal, but I was genuinely shocked that they've sold so many.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 3, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Am I the only one to have never seen a Galaxy Tab in the wild? I get asked about my iPad all the time, and I'm seeing more and more of them in the business world, but I have yet to run across a Tab.

I know that doesn't mean anything since it's just anecdotal, but I was genuinely shocked that they've sold so many.
I live in a major city, and I have not seen 1 person using an iPad, or, mind you, a Galaxy Tab, anywhere. Not in cafes. Not in libraries. Not anywhere I have consulted. I have been finding this very strange. But it may just be that the iPad/Tab, right now anyway, is really just that couch device that people say it is. Once people learn how to fully use these things, I bet I'll see more in the wild.

But regardless, 1 million in sales. Where are all the haters now? Everything goes quiet...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 03:22 PM

Am I the only one to have never seen a Galaxy Tab in the wild?
Nope. I've never seen one either. Good for them they are selling. Why someone has to be a hater because they don't share the same opinion I'll never understand... Welcome to the internet.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 03:28 PM

I live in a major city, and I have not seen 1 person using an iPad, or, mind you, a Galaxy Tab, anywhere. Not in cafes. Not in libraries. Not anywhere I have consulted. I have been finding this very strange. But it may just be that the iPad/Tab, right now anyway, is really just that couch device that people say it is. Once people learn how to fully use these things, I bet I'll see more in the wild.

But regardless, 1 million in sales. Where are all the haters now? Everything goes quiet...
I think you're mistaking a dislike of your arguing style for a dislike of the Galaxy Tab.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 04:00 PM

New review of the Samsung Galaxy Tab (just linked to by Gruber):
Samsung Galaxy Tab: the verdict after using it for a week
I don’t think you will find a Samsung Galaxy Tab review that doesn’t mention the iPad. And that is the main problem you have when reviewing the Samsung Galaxy Tab: it just isn’t an iPad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 04:14 PM

He made a point similar to the one I did earlier on:

"I kept having to remind myself that when you are reviewing the Samsung Galaxy Tab you are actually reviewing 2 things: the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Android. Whenever I mentioned one of the shortcomings of the Tab to someone who actually liked the device they defended it by saying 'Yeah, but that is android you are talking about'. From a technical standpoint that is absolutely right. But an enduser doesn’t make that distinction..."

Followed by the other point nearly identical to the one I made:

"Some people say that Google will launch a dedicated OS for tablets soon so you shouldn’t judge it based on the current version of its OS. That might all be true and fine, but that doesn’t change the fact that the Tab is on sale NOW with the Android version that is out now. You can’t review a gadget based on some features it might or might not get in the future. And right now, the combination of the Tab and Android sucks."

And again:

"One of my friends came in the other day and noticed the Tab on my desk. He reached for it and said 'Hey cool, is that a fake iPad?'. I told him it wasn’t and then observed as he tried (and failed) to turn it on."

Weird. He made the exact same observations I did about the Galaxy Tab.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 3, 2010, 10:28 PM

Oooooh, ahhhhh. One review. And by an Apple fanboy. Not that his criticism is not valid, though. But unlike him, there are people who like the Tab.

1 million sales and counting.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 11:43 PM

fanboy
That's a bit rich, coming from you.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2010, 09:46 AM

Oooooh, ahhhhh. One review. And by an Apple fanboy. Not that his criticism is not valid, though. But unlike him, there are people who like the Tab.

1 million sales and counting.
So Boris from TNW is an Apple fanboy now?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 4, 2010, 02:35 PM

So Boris from TNW is an Apple fanboy now?
I guess not. I thought it was Gruber, I just noticed it was only linked by Gruber.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 4, 2010, 02:38 PM

I thought we weren't going to do the tit for tat: post one review here, another there. It won't get us anywhere because there are reviews that favour the iPad, and there are reviews that favour the Tab.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is one sexy gadget. To play with it is to want it. That said, it's not cheap, and the Sprint and T-Mobile versions add yet another contract to your life. Is the Tab worth it? If you want the best Android tablet on the market, then it is.

Apple's iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab? They're both great devices with solid ecosystems behind them, but I'd choose the Tab since it fits in a bag or huge pocket and I can go with any major US carrier.
Samsung Galaxy Tab Review - Android Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 04:15 AM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2010, 10:28 AM

The Sprint and T-Mobile versions don't add another contract to your life unless you buy it on contract...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2010, 02:09 AM

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2010, 02:47 AM

As pointed out, 300 k Android phone activations per day, more than all of Apple's iOS devices combined. What else ya got?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Dec 9, 2010, 02:50 AM

Not a big fan of RIM. Saw this video. What do ya'll think? A bit of BS? RIM seems to be heavily focused on just browsing on the PlayBook. Every demo they show really does spank the iPad in speed and performance browsing. The multi-tasking also looks far superior. But what will the actual product that ships perform like? How will the battery life be? How well will the apps run?

Of particular note is how badly the iPad did on the Javascript/HTML5 test at the end of the video. I'd be interested to get some comments on this.

YouTube - BlackBerry PlayBook and iPad Comparison: Web Fidelity

Forum Links
Forum Rules