Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook RAM testing

PowerBook RAM testing
mrfett
Jul 11, 2002, 11:58 PM

I installed my 2 512 modules today and started having random total system freezes. When I booted into OS 9 I got a message saying there was a problem with my cache memory. My question is this: Is there a similiar check that I can perform in OS X, and how do I get OS 9 to check for this all the time? I remember there being a key you hold down in the memory control panel, but I couldn't get it to work. Upon reboot, the test wasn't done again. I'm going to try plugging/unplugging and shutting down vs. rebooting so I can get the machine to check each module, but I was hoping there was a way to set the system to always check.

Interestingly, I ran the default RAM tests in TechTool Pro, and they said the memory was fine! I've always suspected that software was a big scam... I'm running the other tests now (rotational, arpeggio, web, and leap) to see if they pick up on the error.

Anyway, I hope someone can point me to a similiar RAM test function in OS X. I won't be surprised to hear it's absent, but I hope it's there.

AMS
Jul 12, 2002, 01:48 AM

I purchased two 512 MB cards for my PBg4/800 and after putting them in I kept having intermittent crashes. IE would crash (ok, can't always blame that on the RAM , Word would crash, and it would log me out at random times when I was in the middle of doing something. On top of this, I had several kernel panis (5-6) after not having any since owning this PB. So, I used the included Apple Hardware Test disk which has a "memory checker" utility that it runs. Basically, it found that one of my modules was bad...so, if you have that disk, perhaps you should give that a try?

BTW, what type of machine are you using?

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2002, 01:48 AM

In OS 9, you hold down the Command button whilst opening the Memory control panel. (i'm pretty sure its the CMD key- can't check as I'm now 100% X)

Sorry, don't know of an OS X substitute.

AMS
Jul 12, 2002, 01:51 AM

I purchased two 512 MB cards for my PBg4/800 and after putting them in I kept having intermittent crashes. IE would crash (ok, can't always blame that on the RAM , Word would crash, and it would log me out at random times when I was in the middle of doing something. On top of this, I had several kernel panis (5-6) after not having any since owning this PB. So, I used the included Apple Hardware Test disk which has a "memory checker" utility that it runs. Basically, it found that one of my modules was bad...so, if you have that disk, perhaps you should give that a try?

BTW, what type of machine are you using?

mrfett  (op)
Jul 12, 2002, 04:38 AM

well, first of all, i figured out that you hold down cmd + option when opening the memory control panel in 9. the check memory thing is on by default.

after a full night of testing (well, it's 4:20, close enough) i've observed the following:

at first, booting into os 9 with my new memory in got me the error "the built-in memory detected a problem with the cache memory. contact a service technician for assistance." the machine then proceded to boot into 9. at that point, i decided to try taking out one of the 512 chips to see if i could figure out if it was just one that was bad (at that point i assumed the problem was the new ram). after swapping the 2 new modules in and out, i was unable to reproduce the error again (that's when i posted the first time). i thought the machine must not be checking the memory. so, i started mixing the old 256 modules with the new 512 ones to see if i could trigger the check by starting up with different amounts of memory. eventually i got the machine to fail with one of the 512 cards in. so then i put in a 256 to ensure when i put in the other 512 the machine would sense a change in memory config and run the test. but upon starting with just the 256, i got the same error!

to make a long story short, now i believe that my problem isn't my memory. i get the error with the new memory and the old memory. earlier this evening it was happening very sporadically, now i cannot get os 9 to boot at all (it stalls everytime during the boot cycle whether or not extensions are disabled). os x will still boot, and it seems to run fine except for the random crashes i never had before tonight.

i ran the hardware diagnostics with the old memory configuration (2x 256) and the new one (2x 512) and got the same message both times: ERROR CODE post /16/64 (i've also reset the pram b4 anyone asks even though i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with memory problems)

I'm guessing now that something is wrong with my logic board, and i'm terrified. the fact that it all started with me installing the new hardware is making me think apple is going to blame me. i'm on hardwood floors, grounded myself properly, and followed all instructions in the manual to the "t". i don't see how i could have caused this (plus i've been upgrading powerbooks ever since i had my 5300).

i'll try to spare you any more self-pity and just ask if anyone has any suggestions/ideas. my machine is a 800 DVI. thanks.

<small>[ 07-12-2002, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: mrfett ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules