Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pet Peeves!

Pet Peeves! (Page 2)
Ca$h (hates AOL)
Aug 7, 2000, 02:23 AM

Wait wait wait.. let me get this straight... Wlonh just commented on someone's English, not knowing the dude was foreign, and he's not getting yelled at for this? Hrm. I remember a time when I posted "Is anyong else getting annoyed with the improper English as the subject line?"

What happened? Oh, I got freaking REAMED by everyone, saying how I should have looked at his profile, emailed him, asked him if he was foreign or not, and what a bastard I was for making fun of someone's English.

Man. People who yelled at me tick me off, so I guess thats a pEAve.

Ca$h

Righto
Aug 7, 2000, 05:14 AM

Well! That begs it! Anyone who uses AIM can see that CaSh68 uses AOL as his ISP. What a rotter.

And he did not bother to note, it's obvious the moderator is friendly with roders and was "politely teasing"

As a lurker for sometime hereabouts, I know you are anything but polite, Ca$h! The manners of a swine, it's plain.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 06:21 AM

dead on, Righto! i am friendly towards roders, here's an EXAMPLE, i nominated roders as MacNN'er of the day for his powers of deduction... we need more like him on the forum, and yes i was politely teasing roders and did say so, and matter of fact i am afflicted with a slight (sometimes not so slight) case of dyslexia myself... lots of really smart people have that affliction, right roders?

heh

Anthony the PC lover
Senior User
Aug 7, 2000, 03:42 PM

roders,
How the hell could an American take offense to the work "Yank"? The word itself means a person who kicked the ass of the English and made a much better country that now ranks Number One in the world? It's you who should take offense, Redcoat!

corycm
Aug 7, 2000, 05:27 PM

ok, here's one i get all too often - and i'm sure it crosses over to whatever line of work you're in.

i'm a graphic designer, i'll have finished up my latest idea/project/whatever only to have the entire thing dismantled and befouled by someone in another department under the license: "I had a design course in college once..."

(Oddly enough, so did i. a lot of them. hence my chosen profession. maybe that's where i made the wrong turn...)

mmmmm....peevey.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 10:33 PM

I'm a smoker. I'm not proud of it, but it's not like I'm a pedophile.

I get from time to time, usually at a social gathering of some sort, the sage comment of "Don't you know smoking is bad for you?" or "Smoking...that's a disgusting habit." The latter usually being spouted by a Jabba the Hut licking from her fingers the third helping of Death by Chocolate.

My usual reply is "Could be worse, could be heroin." (Gee, aren't I witty?)

Don't mind me. I'll be in the corner gnashing at my Nicorette.....
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 10:40 PM

i always say to the people who endeavor to enlighten me with statements like " you know, that stuff will kill you" (meaning tobacco): "Yeah, and how do you propose to die?"

that shuts them the hell up but quick, without fail.

i smoke like a fiend, it is the most addictive thing, just ask former Surgeon General Koop, a great american.

bizzare
Aug 7, 2000, 10:45 PM

Smoking tobacco is a product of peer pressure. Nobody starts smoking for any other reason than to "fit in". FACT.

------------------
-Bizzare

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 11:00 PM

Actually, I started smoking because I thought Cary Grant looked really cool doing it.

Oh yeah, I wore a beret in high school, and was quite the hep cat
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 11:18 PM

bizzarro, i started smoking when my parents caught me smoking pot at the tender age (or so it was thought at the time to be a tender age) of 15, and i said to them some time later, a few days perhaps, that i wouldn't smoke pot anymore if they would say nothing if i smoked cigarettes instead...

and i always looked down on the punks at school who'd run into the restroom between classes to cop a butt... this i never did... i never smoked at school because i hated to have to deal with the idiots in charge of the school... heh

i have always styled myself as iconoclastic and eccentric... banging on as different a drum as i could, and the rest be damned... my heroes were and are those who lived life on their own terms

whoosh!

oh, and why did i smoke pot at 15? well, my sister did and i caught her so she asked me if i wanted to try it, and so i did, and thus she covered her ass... i could hardly rat her out since i had toked up and liked it...

zoom! heh, see ya later bud... heh

BTW, i don't smoke pot anymore and have not for some time, i do not find it objectionable that others do smoke it, and anyone who thinks that pot is addictive in a sense other than mental dependency (which is quite another issue, altogether apart from physical addiction, and mental dependency as regards pot is indicative of a weak person who has issues other than what the use of pot may induce) is right out of their mind... this drug, marijuana, is a far less destructive drug than alcohol, cigarettes, and of course all of the subtances we call narcotics are far worse and far more destructive than the meek herb called pot...

a great american, Mark Twain, once said in reference to tobacco use: "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing to do, I've done it HUNDREDS of times!!"

yeah Mark, me too...

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 08-08-2000).]

Rivak
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2000, 11:33 PM

My mother smoked when she was pregnant with me. I have birth defects to prove it. She still smokes everyday. Ever heard of that "scared straight" TV show? That�s ******** . This is real.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2000, 11:49 PM

yeah my other sister (they are both older than me) smoked cig's during both of her pregnancies... both kids (men now) grew to be hale and hearty, but one did need an operation when quite young, maybe 5 or 6 years old, a balloon angioplasty on an artery very near his heart was performed on him and at the time it was a somewhat experimental operation... this same kid was born jaundiced and to this day the whites of his eyes are rather yellow.

he has run the Boston Marathon twice, the New York Marathon once, and is no worse for wear, generally speaking... six foot four inches he is and solid as a rock.

he was a lucky one, and my sister still smokes and no one speaks of the matter.

life is what it is. we must all bear our crosses. sorry to hear of your... how do i say it... what can be said...

disectamac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 12:12 AM

That really is a big pet peeve of mine. I absolutely cannot stand it when someone attempts to inform me of how unhealthy smoking is. Even though it is out of the caring of their hearts that those lovely conversations pop up, It's not telling me anything new.
As if I'm supposed to reply, "My GOD!! smoking is bad for my lungs?!?, why wasn't I told earlier?!" .

I've been smoking since the grown up age of 14. I started because I was addicted to the scent, I realize that now. A large part of my family filled the room with cig smoke during parties once too often.

Still I enjoy smoking, it's been 8 years now, and I don't plan on quitting because...well I really enjoy smoking whatelse need I say.

As far as the pregnant are concerned, well if my girl were pregnant and put a cancer stick in her mouth, I'd knock her in the head so hard she'd forget about the craving. Life's full o' laughs aint it?

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 01:29 AM

"Cancer Stick" is a great name for 'em, disectamac. I personally can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I also am unfortunate enough to have Asthma, so it inhibits my breathing as well.

But, I am against all the anti-smoking campaigns. Let people do what they will with their lives. Did you hear that Phillip Morris Inc. had to pay $80,000,000,000 (that's eighty-billion) in total to various people in Florida for "damages" !? Jesus!
Be happy.

Ca$hman
Aug 8, 2000, 01:33 AM

ARRRGGHHHHH!! DEAD ON! I HATE SMOKING!

Ok, I'm allergic to smoke, so that sorta helps this, but I ****ING HATE It when I see some HOT girl smoking>! MAN! That makes them taste bad on both ends, plus they STINK! No. Not like that perverts. But like a bar. BLECH!

Some of my female friends get TICKED at me when I tell them I can go start up my car and they can suck on my exhaust pipe. >

Ca$h

bizzare
Aug 8, 2000, 03:43 AM

Q: What's worth smoking?

A: Pot

------------------
-Bizzare

disectamac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 10:19 AM

Yeah Mac Freak, 80 Billion Dollars that the rest of us slowly pay for. I'm paying extra money for cigs now is if it were my fault those people in florida suffer. Talk about unjust.
I might just have to start buying my cigs online from an Indian Reservation web site and hope I don't get busted for tax evasion.

Anthony the PC lover
Senior User
Aug 8, 2000, 03:16 PM

Pot = yummy

dymanohum
Aug 8, 2000, 03:49 PM

This is amazing, I post that i downloaded a piece of software that I did not buy and I can no longer post because the macnn staff cannot condone such illegal acts, but the moderators openly proclaim a love for pot. So if you are reading this kids and you are thinking about downloading that program...just fire up a big fat joint and stare glassy eyed at your monitor until the feeling passes!

bizzare
Aug 8, 2000, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by dymanohum:
moderators openly proclaim a love for pot.
1. I don't speak for all moderators.

2. Software priacy has victims, smoking pot does not.

3. Police in BC have always had more important things to do (ie solve crimes) than crack down on somthing, which used in moderated amounts, that can calm and relax someone.

4. Nobody under 18 should smoke pot.

5. Nor am I saying that smoking pot is for eveyone.

6. What about MacNNers from Amsterdam or Jamacia? Pot is legal there.

------------------
-Bizzare

[This message has been edited by bizzare (edited 08-08-2000).]

andi*pandi
Aug 8, 2000, 06:19 PM

my pet peeve is when a topic degenerates into either a) a political discussion b) a pro-pot rally.

not that there's anything wrong with that!
<ducks the wrath of wlonh>

on the ironic side, there is an anti-pot ad banner playing on the suggestions and comments page... or will it still be there?

on the other hand, I entirely agree with the guy who hated clients who think they know design... only last week I had a client who wanted his logo on disk "so he could make changes to it..." He just didn't want to pay for me to do it... I smiled, charged him for the disk, and outlined all the fonts... oh, yes, it's in Illustrator, so he'll have to buy it to do it. heh heh. pesky clients... why do we put up with them? Oh yes, the money. Nice clients, nice...

[This message has been edited by andi*pandi (edited 08-08-2000).]

roders
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 06:31 PM

Ok I thought it was about time I made an appearance, after being mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm kinda worried by the fact that soon after being mentioned (myself that is) the topic of this thread got onto marijuana, worryingly for me this seem's to happen (puff, puff) quite regularly in conversations with my friends (inhale, non Clinton styli) also (arhh!).
I'd also like to say thanx (or bigg ups or however you Americano's put it) for Wlonh's help, but I would also like to make it clear that we in know way enjoy the kind of relationship that blizzard does with people of the same sex (& animals as well, I've heard)
I'd also like to apologise to Ca$h (yes that wasn't a misprint) for taking him the wrong way (again not in the way Blizzard would probably like to) I think your tragically misunderstood most of the time Ca$h, but some times you deserve/bring it on your self, still these forums are all the brighter for your Illuminating tirades on other peoples Vid cards.
P.S I don't think there's anything wrong with smoking pot (I found out where the use of that word came from once, but I, er seem to be suffering from short term memory loss at the moment) why is it Illegal to smoke marijuana (in the UK) when it's legal to produce and sell arm's & weapons that kill thousands if not millions, like which is more dangerous, & causes more harm & destruction in the world? (You can tell I smoke pot can't you, that last remark blatantly obviously marks me out as being a hippy; I'd like to point out that I'm only a hippy at heart, I don't go in for the hipster flares or paisley shirts, well not since my friends & family stopped talking to me anyway.)
I'd also like to give a shout out to "Anthony the PC lover" in response to your Red coat allegation, I'm pretty sure the only reason the pilgrims went to America was for a short break & then when they got there they realised they had been conned into going with only a one way ticket & were then obviously stuck with colonising America, this is all obviously true as why would anyone want to emigrate from the UK to the USA, I mean it's not as if you have a higher standard of living or anything is it, let alone get those G4 Cubes earlier (Grr) but I'm not jealous you know, I'm not! Ok!
(Oh well, maybe I am then)

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2000, 11:32 PM

i no longer smoke pot, as i have said time and again, and furthermore i would not condone its use by a minor (in my state that means under 21 years old) but i would rather see a 21 year-old smoking pot than ciggies and pot is far more peaceful a drug than is alcohol (i note that the U.K. is cracking down on 'underage' alcohol use,or so i read on the BBC website, due to the fact that it makes many people quite belligerent)... i suggest that no one use any drug whatsoever unless it is prescribed or otherwise legitmately required by any given individual.

i do feel that the drug wars here in the USA represent a war on the general populace, so very many people smoke pot in this country and it has been claimed and there is some strong evidence that marijuana is the number one cash crop in the USA... poor farmers are growing it in an attempt to keep their farms, some of said farms have been in their families for generations... these farmers see no alternative way to 'keep their heads above water' and maintain their chosen livelihood of farming.

the USA could well be taxing this crop, it could represent a good amount of revenue... and that revenue could be put to good use in rehabilitating drug addicts, for an example, but no! ignorance rules supreme in this matter, here we are in the year 2000 and some ignoramuses still think marijuana to be addictive... stunning! i suppose they are the sort of people that think some races to be superior to others... ignorance, it makes this world such a wonderful place for us all!! let's increase human misery by locking up poor schmucks who toke up a bit of herb... yeah! that's the (reactionary) ticket!!

Ca$hman
Aug 9, 2000, 12:52 AM

I dont find it surprising that a lot of mac users smoke pot. I mean, afterall, the original mac people were all hippies right? And think of it this way.. if we're all high, we dont notice the crappy FPS we get in UT or Q3 because everything moves slow mo anyway! hehehe.

And FYI, I dont smoke pot.... I'm allergic to smoke of any kind.. but I drink (leinie's red rules), and HATE cigs, but dont mind if people smoke pot... i mean, its not as addictive and at least they're getting something out of it.

Ca$h

John
Banned
Aug 9, 2000, 01:39 PM

This topic is becoming detrimental to the quality of the fora, thus it will be closed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules