Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I made a really good pizza tonight!

I made a really good pizza tonight!
awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 02:06 AM

Green peppers, red peppers, green onions, garlic, colby jack, and pepper jack cheese (plenty of it) and fresh parmesan. It was so tasty I didn't even mind that it didn't have any meat on it!

What are some interesting non-standard pizza ingredient combinations you like? I need some new ideas.

clod
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 02:21 AM

Montr�al Smoked Meat Pizza from Pizza Pizza, complete with mustard. It's really good. I never thought I'd ever eat a pizza with mustard on it!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2003, 11:05 AM

I almost never use meat on my pizzas, although pepperoni and ham are welcome on occation.

For great toppings try:

* Artichokes
* Sun dried tomatoes (in oil prefereably)
* Asparagus
* All kinds of pepper (red, yellow, green, cheyanne)
* Blue cheese
* Maiz corn

In fact try different kinds of cheese. Mozarella is the best IMO, but Cheddar is great on pizza as well. Gouda is OK, and if you can get it Jarlsberg.

Pizza is good.
- The Nordic pizza chef.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Green peppers, red peppers, green onions, garlic, colby jack, and pepper jack cheese (plenty of it) and fresh parmesan. It was so tasty I didn't even mind that it didn't have any meat on it!

What are some interesting non-standard pizza ingredient combinations you like? I need some new ideas.
Cheese, cheese, and more cheese. I like it! Did you have mozerella on there too?

Although it wasn't my idea, I'd have to say the best non-standard pizza I've ever had is gyro pizza. As far as I know it's only available here in Northfield and one place in Chicago where a Carleton alum introduced them to the concept. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like, pizza (thin crust ) with gyro meat and tziki (sp?) sauce for dipping. Anyone who ever has occassion to drive down 35 from the twin cities, or up from Iowa should definitely stop and get a gyro pizza from Bill's Pizza, Basil's Pizza, or B&L Pizza.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2003, 12:32 PM

Montr�al Smoked Meat Pizza from Pizza Pizza, complete with mustard. It's really good. I never thought I'd ever eat a pizza with mustard.
You rock!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2003, 01:05 PM

Pesto base, gorgonzola cheese + fresh motz, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes (oil stored), and either some asparagus or artichoke hearts, depending on what I have around.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

hayesk
Mar 4, 2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by clod:
Montr�al Smoked Meat Pizza from Pizza Pizza, complete with mustard. It's really good. I never thought I'd ever eat a pizza with mustard on it!
clod, try Collonade Pizza - they're much better than Pizza Pizza and have all sorts of weird toppings that you would never expect. (I think they have a smoked meat pizza, too)

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 4, 2003, 01:12 PM

Sauerkraut and sausage. It's not the most appetizing looking pizza, but worth tasting if you ever get a chance.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2003, 01:19 PM

I like this thread. Pizza is to me what lasagna is to Garfield.
Cheese is of course the fundamental ingredient of pizza.

(This is writtten through ssh and in Lynx... beat that!)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

boots
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2003, 01:22 PM

I love artichoke hearts and spinach with feta cheese. Mmmmm. Tasty.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 01:58 PM

My fav:

Extra Sauce
Extra Cheese
pepperoni
sausage
ham
bacon
beef
onion
bell peppers
Chicken

A ton of fresh graded parmesan. (the real stuff, not the bullshit in the stores)

<--- It's so beautiful I cry.

For the best pizza of your Spumoni Gardens... Just ask for a Sicilian.... It's the most amazing pizza in the world.. I've been to an uncountable amount of pizza places. The best place scores a .5 on a 1-10 scale... Spumoni Gardens scores a 10000k.

Trust me on that one. If your ever in NY... go to Brooklyn and try it. The best pizza.

imaxxedout
Banned
Mar 4, 2003, 02:03 PM

if you guys want a QUICK CHEAP pizza that tastes good, go to the grocery store, grab a tombstone pepperoni pizza, add sharp shredded cheddar cheese, italian seasoning, and whatever else you want. IT TASTES AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Ca$h

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2003, 02:41 PM

Italian sausage, mozz., freshly shredded parmesan and romano, and feta. Diced tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, garlic and oregano. Homemade crust. Usually I am full by the time the pizza is done because I eat half the cheese while I prepare it.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 02:53 PM

Mango chutney and yogurt for the sauce. Tandoori chicken, onions, zucchini, cilantro. Maybe some sweet peppers. Top with a bit of feta and mozzarela.

Of course, nothings beats a genuine deep dish Chicago pepperoni pizza.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

clod
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
clod, try Collonade Pizza - they're much better than Pizza Pizza and have all sorts of weird toppings that you would never expect. (I think they have a smoked meat pizza, too)
I've had Collonade before and I liked it alot. I'll try their smoked meat pizza next time.

Exizl del Fuego
Mar 4, 2003, 03:57 PM

If anyone is here in Seattle, the best pizza I've ever tasted can be had at Piecora's on 14th and Madison by ordering the following toppings: Pesto, Ricotta cheese, roasted garlic, and sliced tomatoes. It comes out ultra-soupy, but firms up within ten minutes (if you can wait that long .

Last night, I had a pizza with a friend whose only stipulation was that it had pineapple on it (He's from Hawai'i). We got Pineapple, Spinach, and Salami, and it rocked (Much to my surprise; I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza).

Other than that, the spinach, artichoke, and feta pizza mentioned previously would earn high marks in my book.

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Cheese, cheese, and more cheese. I like it! Did you have mozerella on there too?

Although it wasn't my idea, I'd have to say the best non-standard pizza I've ever had is gyro pizza. As far as I know it's only available here in Northfield and one place in Chicago where a Carleton alum introduced them to the concept. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like, pizza (thin crust ) with gyro meat and tziki (sp?) sauce for dipping. Anyone who ever has occassion to drive down 35 from the twin cities, or up from Iowa should definitely stop and get a gyro pizza from Bill's Pizza, Basil's Pizza, or B&L Pizza.
Man that sounds good! I'll stop there next time I drive home!

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2003, 02:58 AM

Pac Bell Park (in SF) has the best Pizza Margherita I've ever had. Even better than stuff I had in Italy.

Very simple but great. Basil, mozzarella, sauce and crust.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by imaxxedout:
if you guys want a QUICK CHEAP pizza that tastes good, go to the grocery store, grab a tombstone pepperoni pizza, add sharp shredded cheddar cheese, italian seasoning, and whatever else you want. IT TASTES AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Ca$h
No way man...DIGORNO!! Three meat kind...2.50 apiece
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Forum Links
Forum Rules