Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a very disturbing Spam today

Got a very disturbing Spam today
awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 08:46 PM

ACS INTERNATIONAL COLLECTION SERVICES

DEMAND LETTER

This notice is a formal demand for payment._ You owe the amount shown below and have failed to pay after repeated attempts to negotiate a settlement._ In addition, your vicious attitude and irrationally abusive behavior toward the employees of this company is proof enough that you have no intentions of paying._ Therefore, you must pay the sums shown below within 24 hour of receipt or we will start immediate action against you._ We will report you to all credit agencies and take any legal action necessary to assert the rights of collection we have.

BE FOREWARNED:_ THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER._ FAILURE TO PAY WILL RESULT IN UNFORTUNATE CONSEQUENCES FOR YOU.
_
If you respond by 3 PM Pacific Time, you may pay the settlement amount of $837.__ HOWEVER, if you fail to make payment, the full amount of $2,790 will be immediately due and actions against you will commence.

TO MAKE PAYMENT, IMMEDIATELY FAX A SIGNED CHECK FOR THE PROPER AMOUNT TO 909-694-4300._ BE SURE TO INCLUDE A COVER SHEET WITH YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, HOME ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER.

IF YOU WISH TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD, FAX A PAGE WITH THE HOLDER'S NAME, CREDIT CARD NUMBER, CARD TYPE, EXPIRATION DATE, SECURITY CODE, and BILLING ADDRESS TO 909-694-4300._ BE SURE TO INCLUDE A COVER SHEET WITH YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, HOME ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER.

This is your last and final warning._ Make payment or proceedings will begin!

If you disagree with this notice, then make payment anyway to stop all proceedings against you._ Then provide us with the proof you do not owe this money._ Frankly, after all the time spent in discussions with you and the numerous settlement offers we have made, you are quite fortunate to have even this chance._ So, we highly recommend you take it.

Collection Services Provided by:
ACS INTERNATIONAL
41743 Enterprise Circle North
Suite 204
Temecula, CA 92590-5625

Phone
800-305-9561
909-694-9394

FAX_____
909-694-4300
_
Normally I would disregard this as any old spam, BUT, the company info checks out. Their phone numbers work, and the BBB links to that fax number. I obviously don't owe anybody any money, and the message didn't have my name in the to: field anyway.

What should I do? Contact the police in Temecula, CA? The better business bureau? Is what they sent actually illegal?

Please advise...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2003, 08:51 PM

Call them and talk to them. Find out what they think they are doing.

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 08:52 PM

The night message is on the phone number. I'll call in the morning on Monday.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2003, 08:52 PM

Contact the police. Someone is scamming you.

BE FOREWARNED:_ THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS MATTER._ FAILURE TO PAY WILL RESULT IN UNFORTUNATE CONSEQUENCES FOR YOU.
Thats the best line. What are they gonna do, break your legs?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 08:55 PM

Just a suggestion... If the company checks out as real, go grab a lawyer. Don't bother attempting to talk to them - just hit them hard without warning. You'll be wanting at least $5,000,000 for distress caused, right?
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

ambush
Banned
Sep 26, 2003, 08:58 PM

Death threat?

Sounds kinda serious to me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2003, 09:08 PM

Ugh, I got one of those letters a long time ago, and it wasn't a joke, but it was for $200... I guess I didn't close out my water bill or something...

I ended up paying...

Still burns me!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 09:16 PM

Perhaps the company is going into liquidation?

I received a letter last year from a company who I had no dealings with. It was from a creditor. I rang them immediately to explain - and they said "Oh, yeah, sorry about that, it seems that the creditors are sending letters out to thousands of people that might have not even been our customers. I just checked and I have no record of you, you can probably just throw it out"

Probably?? Wtf? Anyway - I kept it, didn't pay, never got hassled again.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 09:30 PM

if it IS spam, well, I noticed the sender's address is CA, and didn't CA just pass a law making spam illegal? You may be able to charge them.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 09:34 PM

I love this line:

If you disagree with this notice, then make payment anyway to stop all proceedings against you.

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Sep 26, 2003, 09:45 PM

you could demand clarification, i.e., on what do they base their claim? Don't give out any personal info.

Did they even include your real name in the email?

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2003, 09:51 PM

"in addition, your vicious attitude and irrationally abusive behavior toward the employees of this company is proof enough that you have no intentions of paying."

Hahaha!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 09:56 PM

Provided this is spam, I'd fax my middle finger or something.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 10:01 PM

I have never known any creditor to contact their collectees by e-mail. I would call them and let them know about the e-mail, but chances are it is fake, or the result of a virus.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2003, 10:17 PM

Wow I can not wait until the morning when I call them. I love screwing around with this kind of stuff.

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 10:20 PM

Why would someone even do that if it was fake? Are they and idiot or something?

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Uday's Carcass:
you could demand clarification, i.e., on what do they base their claim? Don't give out any personal info.

Did they even include your real name in the email?
No, my name wasn't in the message or any of the headers.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2003, 10:28 PM

I'd head out to Cali and launch a rocket through their building, Iraqi-style, just to show 'em what's what.

Or better yet, instead of a rocket, shoot a Volkswagen Beetle off a giant catapult (a trebuchet perhaps) through the lobby window. Let 'em know you'll play hard ball. Yeah, that's a good goddamn idea!

Or I guess faxing a middle finger works well too.
Nemo me impune lacesset

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
if it IS spam, well, I noticed the sender's address is CA, and didn't CA just pass a law making spam illegal? You may be able to charge them.
Wont take effect until Jan 1, 2004.

I would call them first. If they insist on such nonsense then call a lawyer.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2003, 12:33 AM

While the phone numbers may be to a legitimate business - I guarantee you that the all-important fax number connects to a scam artist's computer.

This is a scam. Let there be no doubt about it.

If a creditor wanted to contact you, it would be a no-brainer to get your phone number and/or your address. There is no way in hell they would pursue a debt collection via email - especially as the ONLY method of contact.

I bet you a million dollars that fax number does not belong to the legitimate company that the telephone numbers belong to. They wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about if you asked them.

edit: I retract that bet.

The fax number appears to be legit. Just as you said in the initial post.

Very very odd. It has all the marks of a real debt collection attempt.

maybe it found your email inbox by mistake?

Again, it's an extremely stupid idea to attempt to collect a debt via email.

What does your credit report look like? Have you been a victim of identity theft? Perhaps this is the first 'red flag'.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Sep 27, 2003 at 12:42 AM. )

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2003, 12:34 AM

I like ThinkInsane's idea of catapaulting a VW Beetle, personally I would set it afire before launching.

In reality, just call and find out what they're talking about.

Most collection agencies hand cases to attorneys after they've given up hope of contacting the debtor, so I wouldn't be too worried even if it is real. Just send them $10 to piss them off. As long as you send something as a token of good faith, they won''t prosecute. A decent judge would laugh in their faces for wasting court time in light of your attempts to repay.

good luck

awaspaas  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
It has all the marks of a real debt collection attempt.
I doubt a legitimate debt collection agency would ask one to fax them a check/CC# with their social security number, home phone and address. My idea was that some spammer got pissed with this collection agency, and they sent out a bunch of ridiculous collection attempt messages just to get the company in trouble?

Ken Masters
Banned
Sep 27, 2003, 01:30 AM

Well, I actually do own iPrimus, and Aus telephone company money,

But I just could be stuffed paying them.

It�s only around $15 US equivalent, so I couldn�t be stuffed.

They say they're going to bring me to court.

Yeah right!!! Over 15 dollars???

I'll pay it when I have time; it�s only been 2 years.

quandarry
Sep 27, 2003, 03:14 AM

it could have been sent by someone who is pissed off at this collection agency...

a good way to piss them off by sending out thousands of these in their name!

Forum Links
Forum Rules