Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Inflight Power on Air France?

Inflight Power on Air France?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2003, 10:37 AM

Anyone know if Air France offers inflight power for laptops? Either empower or cig. lighter type? US/Europe flight, business class.

thanks - danbrew

(go ahead - just try and find this info on the Air France website...!)
( Last edited by danbrew; Dec 24, 2003 at 10:43 AM. )

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Anyone know if Air France offers inflight power for laptops? Either empower or cig. lighter type? US/Europe flight, business class.

thanks - danbrew

I just flew United To brasil... I had the empower thing in Business class but checked out coach and there was no empower connections. Don't know about Air France.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2003, 09:14 PM

thanks - danbrew

I know this sounds dumb, but why don't you just call their 800 number and ask!

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2003, 10:22 PM

I did - and was on hold for 40 minutes. Ouch.

Can't find it on the website either.

Buying the damn ticket (online) was a lot easier than figuring this out. I figure I'm covered as my power solution has both an empower adapter and a 12-volt cig. lighter adapter. I suppose I'd be OK if they had 110 standard plugs, but that's probably not likely.

I guess I'll only be hosed if they don't offer power or if they have some unique adapter that I need beforehand...

So... anybody know?

Karim
Senior User
Dec 26, 2003, 11:59 AM

From my experience:

25% chance in coach
50% chance in business
75% chance in first

Calling on the phone will give you an answer that will be correct only 50% of the time. Some planes in the fleet may have it, some won't, even if it is the same model ie B-747, 777 etc.. No particular plane is guaranteed for any flight, except for the model, which also is sometime changed.

An example of the last flight I took had the empower system outbound, but it was broken. On the return, same kind of aircraft, the system wasn't installed yet. This was on United and in first. (two class aircraft)

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 03:53 PM

I figure I'm covered as my power solution has both an empower adapter and a 12-volt cig. lighter adapter. I suppose I'd be OK if they had 110 standard plugs, but that's probably not likely.
You're definitely covered with all these options. That's all there are. I'd also have a 2 prong European plug adaptor just in case. Most airlines use Empower. But, I know American uses the Car Lighter style. I've only seen the 110/220 plugs in some Biz Class like JAL. But. its becoming more wide spread. As another poster said, its still a crap shoot vis-a-vis availablity and if its actually working. Good luck!!

djjava
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 09:40 AM

the real question, why would you fly Air France anyway?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by djjava:
Why not ?

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 10:56 AM

The iGo sold at most Apple stores has both the cigarette lighter and the empower attachment so you are covered either way...plus is has about 20 different fittings for other laptops as well.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Cause they're going where I want to go. Chicago to Moscow. I got the empower adapter - and the cig lighter adapter. But still don't have a clue if AF has either or if they have some unknown third option. That's my biggest worry - the unknown third option. I can live with no power - it'll piss me off, but I can live with it. What would really jerk me off if is there *is* power but I don't have the freaken' Air France adapter.

Doesn't sound like we've got any AF FF on the list. Damn.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 09:42 PM

Cause they're going where I want to go. Chicago to Moscow. I got the empower adapter - and the cig lighter adapter. But still don't have a clue if AF has either or if they have some unknown third option. That's my biggest worry - the unknown third option. I can live with no power - it'll piss me off, but I can live with it. What would really jerk me off if is there *is* power but I don't have the freaken' Air France adapter.

Doesn't sound like we've got any AF FF on the list. Damn.
Their partner Delta uses Empower. Did you try calling Delta?

Karim
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 02:59 PM

I was on a British Air short haul flight from London to Istanbul and they had a power connector that was not empower and not a cigarette lighter. I was in business class. They had the adaptor on board to sell but the flight was shorter than my battery lasted. I have never seen this third type of connector before.

The BA long haul planes have the empower connector.

Forum Links
Forum Rules