Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone know about drug tests?

Anyone know about drug tests? (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
Thankfully caffine isn't produced by the body
ER Caffeine is a stimulant.

Why do you think people claim they are so tired and can't concentrate when they don't have their coffee in the morning? Their body has stopped producing natural stimulant because they have added a outside source.

The effects of taking in a decent amount of caffeine a day, then quitting one morning would almost like the same effect ADD people feel daily.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Why do you think people claim they are so tired and can't concentrate when they don't have their coffee in the morning? Their body has stopped producing natural stimulant because they have added a outside source.

The effects of taking in a decent amount of caffeine a day, then quitting one morning would almost like the same effect ADD people feel daily.
Well, though you're right people will feel more tired if they've been dependant on caffine for a long time and stop taking it.

However, that last statement about ADD is completely unfounded and untrue (speaking as someone who has ADD) because the chemicals and processes involved are completely different.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

When I stopped taking my daily/hourly doses, I passed out for 2 days. Now how can anyone claim that caffeine is not a drug? I went through withdrawal symptoms and everything. I was addicted to the stuff. Now I feel much better all of the time. No more violent mood swings if I dont get my morning cups of coke. Life is much better without the addicting substances!

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
When I stopped taking my daily/hourly doses, I passed out for 2 days. Now how can anyone claim that caffeine is not a drug? I went through withdrawal symptoms and everything. I was addicted to the stuff. Now I feel much better all of the time. No more violent mood swings if I dont get my morning cups of coke. Life is much better without the addicting substances!
No one said caffine wasn't a drug.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:32 PM

That's it in a nutshell, pretty much. Receptor densities change, as well as the quantity of other gene products, with continued drug use. With cocaine, for example, there is a decrease in the number of dopamine receptors in the part of the brain involved in the reward pathway. This long-lasting effect contributes the the craving and relapse you see with addicts.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:39 PM

Yes, some people definitely do become caffeine-dependent, and I don't doubt you had these symptoms. Different people have different susceptibilities depending on their genetic makeup, too. My point was that as drugs of abuse go, it's considered only mildly addictive.
Good for you for getting off it.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 01:43 PM

I'm more addicted to Coke, than I am to Weed. I don't have to smoke weed everyday, but damn, I need my Coke.

ps- I'm talking about Coca Cola of course.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 01:46 PM

When I was younger, my big thing was pain pills and pot.

While I did take the pills daily, I never abused them. Meaning I was taking them how they were prescribed.

After about a year, my tolerance got pretty high. So I took Darvocets (Synthetic opiate much like Methadone.) To get off of them.

I don't have any lasting effects from it though.

I've seen people take handfulls of painpills at a time for a week and be strung out on them.

BustledHedgerow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by DoGoodDrugs:
id just like to say, that your pretty much screwed. THC stays in your hair for a very long time, even if you only encountered a small amount.

first question, where did they take the hair from?

specifically when did you smoke?

and last thing is, you already took the test, theres no point now, if you fail a drug test your not gonna get the job, and your not gonna get a second chance. if you would have asked before the test there are hair cleaners that take the THC out of your hair, but too late now, sorry.

Do the good drugs, you did the wrong one in your case.
Cannabis use is detectable with hair tests and is generally included in the standard hair test. Hair tests generally take the most recent 1.5 inches of growth and use those for testing. That provides a detection period of approximately 90 days. If an individual's hair is shorter than 1.5 inches, this detection period will be shorter.
And you got your information from?
The sheep in the meadow go bah.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by BustledHedgerow:
<quote>Cannabis use is detectable with hair tests and is generally included in the standard hair test. Hair tests generally take the most recent 1.5 inches of growth and use those for testing. That provides a detection period of approximately 90 days. If an individual's hair is shorter than 1.5 inches, this detection period will be shorter.
Just curious. What if one is 100% bald ?

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Just curious. What if one is 100% bald ?
pssst... then they have to go... down there...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
pssst... then they have to go... down there...
And if you're bald done there and have no eyebrows and trimmed other hair, then you're likely not going to get the job, unless your name is Lex Luthor.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
And if you're bald done there and have no eyebrows and trimmed other hair, then you're likely not going to get the job, unless your name is Lex Luthor.
Blood or urine test.
It's your choice, or not even that...

-t

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 01:31 AM

For anyone that cares, the test came back negative. Good luck for "my friend!"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2004, 08:10 AM

Interesting thing:

Your psyche and expectations were probably playing a very large part in those symptoms (which of course is indeed a major aspect of any addiction).

10 cups of Coke contain as much caffeine as 2 cups of coffee, or three cups of espresso.

Which really isn't that much, over the day.

(Source. I seemed to remember coffee being much stronger than that, but was apparently wrong)

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2004, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by DoGoodDrugs:
first of all, good drugs are different drugs for different people, my drug of choice is life, of course. marijuana can be one of the worst drugs, especially when trying to pass a drugs test because of how long it stays in your system. ie: if you had done cocaine a couple of times you wouldnt have any problem passing a drug test.
Cocaine remains detectable via hair test, just like THC.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
For anyone that cares, the test came back negative. Good luck for "my friend!"
Congrats to your new job !

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules