Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need a Laser Printer that I can access remotly from a mac

Need a Laser Printer that I can access remotly from a mac
DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 04:39 PM

Hi,
I've a wireless network in my house. I have a standalone PC running XP that I could use as a print server. I want to print wirelessly from an Ibook and a Powerbook to a good quality laser printer.I'd prefer a network printer with an ethernet port by they seem to be very expensive. Is anyone using a laser printer attached to a pc that easy to setup ? How are you accessing the printer , samba / ip ? Any particular model that is easy to share ? Thanks in advance.
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

finboy
Feb 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

Just about any HP should work -- you just have to get the list in OS X and see what's there. Any postscript printer will set up easily, too. I use an old 6MP on my wife's computer, because the Samsung that she uses doesn't have OS X drivers. The bonus is that I can also set up the 6MP with an AsanteTalk box and network it through my Macs if I need to.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2005, 03:42 AM

I have a HP LaserJet 1010 (ultra-cheap low-end model, but works fast and nice) and it will work as a 'network' printer if you connect it to an APX base station or APExpress over Rendezvous. So, I'd guess you should be able to attach it to your PC (which has to somehow be connected with the wireless network) and print to it through APX and Rendezvous.

DevNine  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. Anyone got a networked ethernet printer to recommend ?
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 10:50 AM

If you are using your PC as a print server, you don't really need Ethernet. Just get a decent laser (HP or other Mac-supported model), and set it up as a Windows shared printer. This is actually more reliable using a parallel connection than USB (at least, in my experience), but both should work.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

-Q-
Feb 3, 2005, 11:42 AM

I'm using an HP 1012 hooked to a Belkin Wired/Wireless print server (total package cost me a little over US$200). Setting it up for the wife's windows machine was easy. The set-up for my mac was a little more difficult but it works (had to use the GIMP print drivers). I wrote down the instructions at home so I'll post 'em later.

I got the Belkin b/c it offered two USB ports so I could hook up both the laser and the inkjet. So far, the solutions has worked great for all computers on my network.
( Last edited by -Q-; Feb 3, 2005 at 11:48 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules