Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger won't install: 17" Rev A PB with 1g ram

Tiger won't install: 17" Rev A PB with 1g ram
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 11:55 PM

and about 16 gigs free. Tried to do a simple upgrade with a few options "deselected" (the additional languages and the extra printer drivers. Didn't work. Got a message "There was a problem with the install. Please try to install again" (or something really close to that...)> Did a second install and did a "everything standard" (upgrade) and had the same problem.

Not willing to do a new install or a format the drive install.

Anybody else having the same problems? Any work around?

What's Apple gonna say when I walk in and tell 'em I want my money back? I'm a bit pissed.

stumpiej
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 12:01 AM

either it's a bad install disc, although the installer checks the disk, so it'd probably tell you if that was it. or it's a hard drive problem. i installed tiger on a Rev A Titanium which apparently had some major disk errors. i'd suggest you try running Disk Utility and Repair Disk (run it off the Tiger DVD). in my case, Disk Utility was able to see the errors, but not fix them. i had to run DiskWarrior to fix it.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 01:39 AM

Have you installed 3rd-party RAM in it? If so, it might be a case of bad RAM. This happened to me when I first moved from 9 to X.

Although the machine worked generally fine under 9 with those RAM modules installed, there's something about the install process in OSX that really puts the RAM through its paces.

Similarly, if your machine came with a base amount of RAM, and then you installed another module, it could be that problems never manifested themselves until now.

It could be something else completely, but it's something to consider. Your description of the error during installation sounds exactly what happened to me.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 05:01 PM

yeah, interesting. i do have crucial memory in the machine - but it's worked fine since 10.2. I find it hard to believe the ram would crap out or suddenly be recognized as bad ram going to 10.4. I spent an hour on the phone with Applecare this morning - no help at all. The guy finally decided that I needed to format the drive and do a clean install. Sure.

I did find some good notes on the Apple support website...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 08:51 PM

HI:

Here is one data point. I have installed Tiger successfully onto a Rev. A (refurbished) 17 inch powerbook. I have 512 mb of Crucial Ram installed, and have upgraded the superdrive to a dual-layer drive (via OWC).

It did seem to take an awfully long time during the install, especially when it was "checking the integrity of the hard drive". I had a working Panther install there previously, so I don't know quite what was going on.

Everything is okay now, but I do notice a great deal more fan activity than was true prior to the upgrade. nothing too aggravating, but definitelly noticeable.

I also noticed that I don't get the cool core image graphics when I use dashboard applets - though this was expected given the graphics card installed in this machine. I do also notice that in Quicktime if I try to play HD trailers from the download site they are very "jerky" when they play -- to the degree that they are really unplayable. This is also true if I download them and play them directly from the desktop -- not something I anticipated.

Other than that, all is fine. I like the new mail app -- I have just discovered smart folders. It has replaced most of the rules I used to have for managing my incoming mail. Also, Spotlight is as revolutionary as advertised.

One last thing. The "show extensions" item was enabled in the finder preferences, meaning that I saw the suffix ".app" after each of the applications in the hard drive -- extremely irritating because I have the applications folder in my dock. Anyway, once I disabled that preference, it went back to the "Panther default" of just showing the application name.

The machine is marginally faster, but I do see the beachball more often.

I have 1Gb of ram.

Hope these notes are helpful.

W

Forum Links
Forum Rules