Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook freezes instead of going to sleep

MacBook freezes instead of going to sleep
kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

About 10% of the time that I put my MacBook to sleep by closing the lid, the stupid thing freezes up on. Its on, so it continues to eat battery... though when you open it back up, the screen is black and it responds to nothing except pressing and holding the on/off button for 10 seconds to turn it off. So, whenever I put it to sleep now, I have to be sure to watch the little light to make sure it goes to sleep (as opposed to staying on).

Anyone else see this? Or is it unique to my MacBook?
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2006, 10:40 AM

Thats only happened a couple times to me. What happens almost all the time though is after I wake my macbook up from sleeping, most of my apps crash. iStatPro, RDC, and a slew of others just get an EXEC error and I have to reboot to get them all to work again, until the next time I put it to sleep. XP via Bootcamp also refuses to Hibernate now, it just sits there. Not sure if its maybe my ram or something else.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2006, 12:26 PM

this happens when i shut off my macbook sometimes... it really sucks the OS crashs... and I have to force restart it

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 02:51 PM

This happened to me a bunch of times the first week I had my MacBook. I called Apple Care and they had me take the battery out and reset some junk. All I can say is it hasn't happened again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules