Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor related issues and NEW Macs

Monitor related issues and NEW Macs
wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2000, 07:33 PM

several monitor-related issues involving new Macs:

[Elliot Zaret] "Thought I'd let y'all know about a problem with the new 15" Cinema Display on the Cube. It seems to suffer from narcolepsy -- putting the computer to sleep at random intervals anywhere between five seconds and fifteen minutes. Apple says this is something of a common problem. Their solution, however, is to mail it back to them and wait SEVEN working days for the monitor to be repaired. Grrrrr...."

[MacInTouch reader] "The 15" studio display just showed up for my new MP G4 450, and I was experiencing the strangest behavior. Every few seconds the power light would glow as if I had pressed it, and then the system would go to sleep. This would happen without my hand coming within a foot of the display. At first I thought it was some errant EM interference from a speaker, but moving it didn't help. When I finally unplugged my USB connection to my Epson Photo Stylus 1200, the problem stopped occurring. Very strange."

[Mark Corchin] "I just purchased the new G4/450 with Dual Processors. Connected to Sony Multiscan 420 GS. On startup after chimes boot takes 3:45. Seems to be an issue with the monitor, any solutions?"

["Brett"] "The ATI Rage 128 Pro [in a 500-MHz G4 MP] did not recognize my PowerComputing monitor and was stuck at 640x480 until I used a piece of shareware to force it into higher resolutions."

[Larry Merrill] "Just got off the phone with Apple Support. I have an 'old' G4 and a new Cinema Display w/ the new ADC connector. I asked about options; they said they have no adapter planned. They 'hoped' some 3rd party would come out with one."

(the above info taken from MacInTouch today)

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2000, 09:04 AM

[Tony Graham] "I have seen this effect [long boot time] with Sony displays as far back as the PowerMac G4 Blue & White. I believe it involves a problem with the DDC protocol. One possible work around is to turn the monitor on after the machine begins to start up.

[Jeff Lucia] "I've had this problem with the Sony 420Gs's before on the older G4's. The trick I've used to get it to work is to:

1. Turn the both the G4 and 420GS off.
2. Hold the Reset button on the 420GS in and turn on the 420GS.
3. After a couple of seconds, let go of the reset button.
4. Power the G4 on.
5. G4 should boot normally.

[Peter Leonard] "I too had a new 400Mhz G4 with Apple's 15" ADC flat-panel display constantly fall asleep, wake up at 4am, and sometimes refuse to wake up for more than 4 seconds. At first I thought it might be static electricity activating the touch switch on the monitor, but I eventually made my way to an Apple support technician on the phone who said he had heard of this problem before. What's frustrating is some Apple techs haven't heard of this problem and would really like you to do a software restore or even a low-level format of your drive, in order to eliminate the non-existant 'software' variables."

(also from MacInTouch today, WEDNESDAY 08/23/00)

Forum Links
Forum Rules