Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What make are Palin's awesome glasses?

What make are Palin's awesome glasses?
andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 10:04 PM

Since I'm becomming a big glasses fan, I'd like to know what make her glasses are? I think they look pretty awesome. Any help appreciated.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 10:12 PM

I think MC Hammer wore those back in the day

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 10:15 PM

um, no?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 10:23 PM

MC Hammer can time travel?!

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
um, no?

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
MC Hammer can time travel?!
Yes we can.

But I'm co-derailing my thread here. I'd really like to get some help here…

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 10:40 PM

He reminds me of Abe.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2008, 10:43 PM

Key part of my post was "BACK IN THE DAY", another key part was "MC HAMMER", as in, before he switched his name to just Hammer.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2008, 11:47 PM

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 06:22 AM

Since I'm becomming a big glasses fan, I'd like to know what make her glasses are? I think they look pretty awesome. Any help appreciated.
I don't know but they do look like what Germans like to wear.

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 07:17 AM

Since I'm becomming a big glasses fan
Specs or shades?

I picked up a couple of these the other day:

Really comfortable. I am not into the frameless thing, though.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 07:21 AM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 09:04 AM

Prada.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 09:11 AM

Her glasses are ugly.

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 09:19 AM

That is why they suite her.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 09:34 AM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 10:02 AM

Palin is the best advertisement for contact lenses ever.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 10:18 AM

Glasses interfere with the money shots.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
I don't know but they do look like what Germans like to wear.
Actually, I happen to be!

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Awesome, thank ou a lot!

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Specs or shades?

I picked up a couple of these the other day:

Really comfortable. I am not into the frameless thing, though.
Very nice! I'm not preferring either, I like both.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 04:58 PM

I don't really get the idea behind spending $400+ on a pair of frames (that's not even including the lenses and any lens treatments, like anti-scratch or polarization).

I got three pairs of glasses (one pair's polarized sunglasses) with polycarbonate lenses and anti-scratch/anti-reflective coating for $300 total...and I don't buy the line that D&G frames are better quality than the generic ones I got at Eyeglass World. I've been wearing glasses since I was in third grade, and even my old Wal-Mart frames back then lasted for years.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 05:03 PM

The low end frames are often poorly built IMO. Often they're not, but sometimes it's bit hard to know which are the ones that are going to bust quickly.

The mid end frames can be very well built. However, often times the styles aren't the greatest.
I have expensive frames. The build quality is no better than the mid-end frames, but I liked the style better. My current set of frames are Anne et Valentin. BTW, their website sucks.

As for lenses, I find that the ones they sell at places like Lenscrafters (American Optical lenses) really aren't very good. It's not the lenses themselves, but the anti-scratch. They wear off quicker than if you get top end Nikon or Zeiss coated lenses.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I don't really get the idea behind spending $400+ on a pair of frames (that's not even including the lenses and any lens treatments, like anti-scratch or polarization).

I got three pairs of glasses (one pair's polarized sunglasses) with polycarbonate lenses and anti-scratch/anti-reflective coating for $300 total...and I don't buy the line that D&G frames are better quality than the generic ones I got at Eyeglass World. I've been wearing glasses since I was in third grade, and even my old Wal-Mart frames back then lasted for years.
Well, I usually buy glasses for around 300 $ - and I have a 100% eyesight!

I think that glasses are the finest most elegant male accessory, and that's why I wear them. With me, it's plain vanity, and I'm straight forward with it. Since I always wear quite unique glasses, I am often asked where I got them, and I usually concede that I don't even need them.

My current most liked eyewear:

( Last edited by andreas_g4; Nov 7, 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added link)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2008, 05:21 PM

Seeing well does not necessarily equate to looking good.

For some of us, getting the right frame for something that features kind of prominently smack-dab in the middle of our face is a big deal.

I know I *agonize* over my choice of frame for ages when it comes time to get new glasses, and if I find one that feels perfect, I really don't care what it costs. Which in turn means that I wear it for a very long time, as well - my last (frame-less) frame lasted over twelve years (with two or three years of wearing a different pair of specs some time in between).

There are, of course, the morons who'll buy a $500 frame simply because it's $500, or because it's the one that so-and-so wore in that movie (or campaign), with total disregard for the fact that the frame looks like complete **** on his face. Witness the millions of people who bought Matrix-style sunshades with the expensive name on them, because they looked great on Keanu and Carrie-Ann, but made themselves look like complete dorks on tanning booth vacation from another planet.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
There are, of course, the morons who'll buy a $500 frame simply because it's $500, or because it's the one that so-and-so wore in that movie, with total disregard for the fact that the frame looks like complete **** on his face. Witness the millions of people who bought Matrix-style sunshades with the expensive name on them, because they looked great on Keanu and Carrie-Ann, but made themselves look like complete dorks on tanning booth vacation from another planet.
True. With the exception of the glasses Liquid Snake wears in Metal Gear Solid 4, which have the disadvantage of being digital only…

Not the best angle however…

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 05:29 PM

My glasses (the Porsche P8004s) cost me, frames and lenses, about R6000, which is about $600. When choosing them, however, I did not actually look at the price. I fitted many glasses, and found the ones that I liked, and got a quote, and accepted it.

They are something that I wear 17 hours a day, so I don't think that is too much.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2008, 05:52 PM

I think that glasses are the finest most elegant male accessory, and that's why I wear them.
Wait, you're a dude that wants Palin's glasses?

This thread is oddly starting to make sense.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 07:30 PM

I recently got a pair of glasses that came out to about $630 with just polarization. Luckily it was about $230 for me with insurance.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 8, 2008, 12:02 AM

My current pair of glasses cost $700 -- that's $200 for the frame and $500 for lenses. I have a strong prescription, so I went with the highest-index plastic (=thinnest) from Hoya, which is very expensive, and also paid for Hoya's top-grade antireflective coating, which is miraculous. It's optically fantastic, but also water-repellent, so I can clean them by just washing with dish soap and water, and then blowing off the residual water droplets! And the coating is supposedly harder to scratch than glass (and indeed, I've had no problems whatsoever with scratching). As a full-time eyeglass wearer, thin and light lenses that are easy to care for is critical, so I'm willing to pay for top-notch glasses from a real optician. (Lenscrafters can't make the lenses I wear now.)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 11:05 AM

weird, I too just bought some glasses. They're Booth and Bruce - watch out, worst website ever.
They're black and tortoiseshell, squareish. I'd take a pic but I'm chicken.
I spent £250 on frames, £150 on lenses. I have a fairly weak prescription so I just got the normal anti scratch/glare lenses and never looked at the price tag on the frames - simply got the ones that suited me (according to gf)

this thread needs pixs
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 11:08 AM

Well, I usually buy glasses for around 300 $ - and I have a 100% eyesight!

I think that glasses are the finest most elegant male accessory, and that's why I wear them. With me, it's plain vanity, and I'm straight forward with it. Since I always wear quite unique glasses, I am often asked where I got them, and I usually concede that I don't even need them.
christ, you admit you wear glasses and dont even need them?

glasses arent the most elegant male accessory by a long shot. Watches and good shoes are.

PS those glasses you linked are girls

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
weird, I too just bought some glasses. They're Booth and Bruce - watch out, worst website ever.
They're black and tortoiseshell, squareish. I'd take a pic but I'm chicken.
I spent £250 on frames, £150 on lenses. I have a fairly weak prescription so I just got the normal anti scratch/glare lenses and never looked at the price tag on the frames - simply got the ones that suited me (according to gf)

this thread needs pixs
You spent £400 on a single pair of glasses?

I thought I was mad for buying these
Had them for 2 years now, not broken them yet either which is a bonus, Got a 2nd free pair which I got made into sunglasses. I might go back and get them made into regular glasses.

I had a similar pair before. I can't get the pictures to load any larger. I broke these once along the arm while they were in my pocket & I did a barrel roll on them, the 2nd time the bridge across the nose broke, not sure how that happened, maybe it got damaged the last time I broke them. They're still sat in their case, broken.

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 12:02 PM

christ, you admit you wear glasses and dont even need them?
Yes.

glasses arent the most elegant male accessory by a long shot. Watches and good shoes are.
Ahhh, different opinions, ain't that great?

I agree, however, that shoes and watches are very fine accessories. It's just that those are the obvious first choice of anybody…

PS those glasses you linked are girls
Which post are you referring to? My own (the red frame ones) are unisex. Girls like the look.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 12:11 PM

hmm, maybe
got a photo?

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 12:13 PM

Of the girls, or the glasses?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 12:14 PM

..both
or either

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 12:22 PM

the problem is, that I from time to time get so lucky to date girls that look like straight from the internet. Complicating matters further, the pic was (obviously) taken by some pro photographer. I anticipate that I will be called a liar.

NSFW linky

She liked my glasses

My glasses are posted above (but who cares…)
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Nov 12, 2008 at 06:37 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 12:23 PM

where did yo find her? i want her.
bit skinny though. Coke habit?

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 12:29 PM

http://www.kitkatclub.org/Home/Club/Index.html

Well let's just say she didn't eat much… She was quite a cool person, but we never really connected (mentally, that is).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2008, 12:56 PM

Shoes ≠ accessories.

Shoes, like clothes, are meant to protect our bodies from whatever nature can throw at us, and to keep us from catching pneumonia and croaking. Doesn’t mean they can’t look good while doing it, but they are not accessories in themselves.

And Palin’s frame [corporal and spectacular] is, in a word, ugly. I like the ones calverson posted a pic of. Andreas’ red ones are unnecessarily twirly, which makes them look not so good to my eyes.

Then again, my glasses (sunglasses, since I’m nowhere near vain enough to even consider wearing unnecessary glasses) are $30 no-brand ones. They’re passably comfortable, though, and don’t make me look like too much of an idiot (two very rare assets in glasses), so I’m happy.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 01:47 PM

I wear the Oakley Gasket shown below, frame is olive tortoise. Those look great but what really shines are the Oakley HDO Plutonite lenses, superb.

Edit: well, if I look at the packaging and stuff came with the Gasket I can find the brand as OAKLEY and Oakley, anyhow to avoid a yelling feel, I better fix it.
( Last edited by angelmb; Nov 9, 2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Oakley in capitals seems to be wrong or at least, annoying)

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 02:21 PM

You mean Oakley.

To some, OAKLEY would be like writing MAC instead of Mac. Annoying.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 02:32 PM

well not really since MAC is something entirely different to a Mac, whereas (unless I missed something) OAKLEY is just Oakley in capitals.

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 02:38 PM

Fine. It would be like writing IMAC instead of iMac. Annoying.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 02:40 PM

I've always found rimless glasses to be trying to hard that you arent wearing glasses.

calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 02:47 PM

I've always found rimless glasses to be trying to hard that you arent wearing glasses.
Yes I agree, and ask Oisín, there ain't anything better than a rim sitting right on your face.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 03:36 PM

andreas_g4  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
Yes I agree, and ask Oisín, there ain't anything better than a rim sitting right on your face.
Rim-Dependent.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 05:15 AM

don't you mean RIM dependent? as in blackberry dependent?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2008, 05:39 AM

don't you mean RIM dependent? as in blackberry dependent?
I forbid you all to make jokes about me that are above my level of comprehension!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2008, 06:24 AM

there was a discussion in this thread about how its annoying to talk about brands in capitals.

andreas_g4 said "rim dependent" however if he'd said "RIM dependent" it'd mean something else (RIM is the marker of blackberries, a popular and highly depended on mobile communications device) and would also make sense.

savvy?

andi*pandi
Nov 10, 2008, 10:22 AM

I got these before Palin was selected:

Forum Links
Forum Rules