Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > iTunes Button and Progress Bars Theme

iTunes Button and Progress Bars Theme (Page 4)
XIII
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 06:25 AM

I agree with AWS, I like WICKEDfour's icon best.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 11:17 AM

It seems the community is split on the icons. Since I am not running the theme and time is really at a premium now at work, I will probably not be completing the set for release. I may release what I have done so far and include some .psd files so anyone else can continue. We'll see how it plays out.

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by AWShuttleworth:
I mad crazy dig this theme - tr�s slick - but it contains a funny bug that makes it unusable to me. The bug appears to be unique to Adobe InDesign: text boxes in dialogues and pallettes in this application appear to be working when you are typing into them, but the contents of them become invisible when those text boxes lose focus.

For instance, I can see what I am doing while I am choosing a text size in the Character pallette, but when I have decided on a text size and go back to editing content, the text size becomes invisible and I cannot see the number I have chosen.

Any hope of this being repaired? I would love to be able to use this theme!
I've seen this in Photoshop as well. I don't know what to tell you about this problem right now, but it probably has something to do with the small amount of cheating I had to do with the "Clock Text Box" due to the fact that Carbon Open/Save dialogs use the clock text box corners and stretch for the outline to the sidebar and the folder navigation itself.

Originally posted by bluevertical:
pleeeeeaaaase... i need the safari skin and desktops to use this theme. looks really bad without safari skin... plus i cant vote on it w/o using it.
cheers.
bv.
Originally posted by wibs:
first, those icons are looking good .

next, I'm really trying to get into DD but I'm having trouble finding a desktop to go with it. any suggestions?
Really sorry about holding the extras, everyone. I have 2 presentations this week in school, but then there's a 5 day weekend. That should give me enough time to get the Safari replacement done and put a mini-site up with downloads.
I may just release the desktops as they're completed so that they at least get out there. I'll also include a folder of solid colors to use as a background color and a grid-like background by Phill Ryu's request.

Originally posted by megasad:
Digital Device is a mighty fine theme and I use it now with glee.

My only suggestion would be to make the Graphite version a straight greyscale conversion of the current theme. Just go to the Universal Access preference pane and Set Display to Grayscale to see what it would look like; damn fine. And in said greyscale version if the Finder text could be changed to black, rather than the grey it currently is, else it would appear too light.

And what everyone else is saying about a Safari skin and some icons too.

Thanks for the mightiness.
Technically, this wouldn't be possible; the window background and the titlebar would still be LCD colored! I think I'm going to wait on this, ShapeShifter's still evolving...

Originally posted by Seion:
WICKEDfour: I really like the progress bars that you have for Digital Device.

I think that style would fit well within Trekkie... Would you mind if I used a likewise style for Trekkie?

I don't want to rip you off, hence I'm asking.
Sure, you can make them similar, go for it. I'd like to see them before you release your theme, though, just to see that they aren't exactly alike, but I'm sure that I won't have anything to worry about.

About the icons:
I haven't talked to digitaljames about his icons, nor have I started anything outside of that recolored folder. We'll see about these, but the icons definitely need to be done.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

voo
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 11:10 AM

The whole theme certainly looks cracking, specially love that folder icon. This theme almost feels like a vector based theme but it is pretty cool. Almost reminds me of coffee and cream, looks tasty

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 09:55 PM

You can now download Digital Device here:
http://www.jgraphics.net/dd/index.html

Sorry again about the Safari replacement and the desktops.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 06:22 PM

is this dead or what? i would really love to use this theme but its tough w/o a safari skin. i moded good grey to work but didnt want to spend too much time thinking that one would come out soon....
any updates?
thanks
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 06:53 PM

is this dead or what? i would really love to use this theme but its tough w/o a safari skin. i moded good grey to work but didnt want to spend too much time thinking that one would come out soon....
any updates?
thanks
bv.
Max's OSXP Homestead buttons don't look bad with it....

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 08:08 PM

yeah i used that for a bit but then modded the good grey theme and made they progress bar flat and it looks good just the wrong grey.... really wish the real deal was done.
love the theme btw just wish it was complete. voted #1 thinking it would be out right after....
still waiting i guess....
www.theblogproject.com

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 08:35 PM

Cut the guy some slack. Hes got lots of school work to do he said. I agree with you guys though, the theme really does need the Safari icons. I cant use it without them. Some system icons would be nice too...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 09:03 PM

cut the guy some slack????
i was simply asking is it was in the works.... no need to get your panties in a wad.
lol
www.theblogproject.com

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by bluevertical
is this dead or what?
Seemed sort of aggressive to me. All I meant by cut him some slack is give him more time. No need to get your panties in a wad

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 09:41 PM

no sweat guy.... just messin around.
peace.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 09:43 PM

holigen... have you found any good icons for dd?
www.theblogproject.com

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 10:36 PM

Yeah it does need the Safari button images, there's no doubt there. Sorry that I've made everyone wait this long for them.

I don't have that much school work, but I'm nearing the due date of a large group project and it's really becoming stressful now.

I've also been messing around with a new site design that's in theory completely generated by iBlog and CSS. There's going to be some pretty cool stuff that I can do with that, but I've been giving it too much attention. If you were so inclined you could check it out here:

http://www.jgraphics.net/newjgraphics/testblog7.html
(Note that I've been uploading it to check out the CSS display with IE 6 at school, so this page may not be there say, tomorrow.)

Ignore the news posts, they mean absolutely nothing! There should be a main content area and I want to make it fixed width, but I'm having some problems doing so at the time.

Anyway, if I was lucky I'd be able to release the Safari replacement on Friday, which is very probable because I have most of the images completed.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by: bluevertical
holigen... have you found any good icons for dd?
*Sigh* ya, Ive found a couple. Youve probably already heard of how well they go with DD though. First up is Orbital. It matches well because like DD its monochrome and has similar symbols. Next is Underling icons. They, like Orbital are monochrome, however this time in a pale blue that nicely complements DD's yellowishness. Theres also Sketch, an old icon set Ive had for a while, it has a good aesthetic quality I think. Hehe, finally, theres this weird fish icon set called Fishy Icons or something, I think it was in Pixelpalooza last year. Ive always liked that and it seems to go well with DD. PM me for these sets btw, Ill either email them or point u in the direction of a site.

Btw, thats a pretty good design youve got there Joe. Even for a beta site thats pretty impressive.

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 12:23 AM

Oh no, double post!

Thanks for the kind words and the icon recommendations Holigen! I'll check those out soon. The new site design is far from done, but I think that I can drop some crazy CSS coolness with this design. I'm also about an inch away from getting the desired display degrading for IE 6! Of course, Safari's the least of my worries . Notice the etched text?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 12:37 AM

Ah yes, very nice touch there.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 01:42 AM

wf. your site is looking great. thats an awesome start. just keep hammering away at the browser compatibility, it's a bitch. there are a few good sites around that can help. if you need any just pm me and i'll be glad to send them your way.
really looking forward to the safari kit!
cheers.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 09:08 AM

wf. your site is looking great. thats an awesome start. just keep hammering away at the browser compatibility, it's a bitch. there are a few good sites around that can help. if you need any just pm me and i'll be glad to send them your way.
really looking forward to the safari kit!
cheers.
bv.
A moment of web design jibberish:
So far I'm doing really well with browser compatibility. There are only three classes of images (that in theory I could do with the <div> tag anyway through CSS) that are positioning wrong, and that's most likely my fault. I only wish that there was a way to see the page in IE 6 for Windows without going to an actual PC. I figure that if I get IE 6 (and most likely IE Mac 5.x, therefore, which I've already had success in), I'm done. There are some odd rendering problems that happen only in Opera which I may just forget about, I'm not sure yet. The main thing that I'm focusing on right now is the degradation of the design in Internet Explorer; I don't have to worry about Mozilla-based browsers or Safari, they'll take whatever I throw at them and make it look awesome. *Sigh* Too bad for that other browser...

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 02:09 PM

Wish I could help, but Im not that into conventional web development. Im more of a Flash guy myself. Since its based on a standard plugin, theres no positioning or graphical problems that can occur in different browsers. Well, that is, if they have the up to date version of the plugin. Anyway, sometimes I find that sites have done so much to get it to look right in IE that they mess it up for all the other browsers... h**p://www.redvsblue.com is a good example. The chicken and mouth is supposed to be over the left sidebar and the logo in the center should be full. It only shows up correctly in IE for Windows. Im sure you wont do something as drastic as that.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
I figure that if I get IE 6 (and most likely IE Mac 5.x, therefore, which I've already had success in), I'm done. There are some odd rendering problems that happen only in Opera which I may just forget about, I'm not sure yet.
It's always an unpleasant shock when I spend a few weeks on a design on my Mac, it looks great, then I check it out in PC IE and my pixel-perfect CSS layout is off by a couple pixels in all the wrong places. I feel your pain =-\.

You can ignore Mac Opera, unless you really, really care about that one guy using it who might go to your page. I mean, if you want to support Mac Opera, you might as well support iCab too, and good luck doing that with its nonexistant CSS. PC Opera is catching on, but its rendering is similar enough to IEs (at least in its quirks) to let you not give it much special attention.

The big positive news here is that you're making a site for mac customization, so in theory most of the computers viewing it will be macs owned by people who have at least a basic grasp on what's good and bad to have (in other words, aren't using IE), so in theory most of the browsers will be WebKit/Gecko based, so basically you can get away with designing something that looks great in Firefox/Mozilla/Camino/OmniWeb/Safari/etc and terrible in everything else. If you really want to be snooty about it you can even put some tiny "verified standards-compliant CSS and XTHML" images on your page, or better yet a "designed for Safari" one. Aaah, the easy way out of web design... only support one browser!

Alright, I was probably no help at all, but sometimes its fun to rant about the mishmash that is making decent web sites.

And one last thing... I'm not sure what it is that's causing you problems as I've only looked at it in Safari, and of course it works there, but using text shadows and png backgrounds via CSS are a quick ticket to browser incompatability, standards be damned =-\
( Last edited by wibs; Feb 19, 2004 at 03:18 PM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by wibs:

And one last thing... I'm not sure what it is that's causing you problems as I've only looked at it in Safari, and of course it works there, but using text shadows and png backgrounds via CSS are a quick ticket to browser incompatability, standards be damned =-\
Actually, it may be "off limits" for some people, but I've found a very nice way to do something very cool: recolor any part of the design that I want at will. I made the shadowing and gradient for the top navigation in Photoshop by first figuring the area of a top and bottom "stroke" and then applying the gradient a pixel each away from the top and bottom. I then made the drop shadow and set the layer's fill to 0%. Finally, I took the area of the gradient and stroke and inverted it to conphensate for the background color of the page. I then set that as the background image for the navigation parts and specified a background color, which shows through the image.

I did the left and right stroke using a CSS border, but the border would run into the shadow of the background image. I didn't like that and I also wanted separators, so I divised some separator images that actually overlay the buttons. The positioning of these is actually what's giving me trouble right now, but it only happens in IE 6. In that aspect, I could almost go live right now.

Of course though, I'm greedy . Now I'm working on some "drop-down" menus for the icons section (maybe the others too, but there'll only be one theme under the themes section, so that's pretty pointless). On that note, I want to give a big thanks to Jan Van Boghout for showing me his CSSEdit app, it totally broke the mold for me and my web site design. I highly reccommend CSSEdit for everyone who makes any kind of crazy awesome web designs. You can thank him too when Liquid Crystal is finished .

Okay, since I've rambled on about this web design mojo, I'd better finish that Safari skin when I get home . There are only about 3 more necessary elements that I need to finish, then I'll add it to the ZIP archive on my temporary DD site (I'll change the file name of the archive and note the addition of the Safari skin). What's next? Well, desktops... After that, I'll be weeding out some missed bugs in Digital Device 1.0.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 05:07 PM

good luck to you, for DD and the site .

Originally posted by WICKEDfour:
On that note, I want to give a big thanks to Jan Van Boghout for showing me his CSSEdit app, it totally broke the mold for me and my web site design. I highly reccommend CSSEdit for everyone who makes any kind of crazy awesome web designs.
I've always just done things by hand in BBEdit, but with an endorsement lik that, and a solid 5 star rating on MacUpdate, I guess it's worth a try
DigitalRamen sucks.

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2004, 11:12 PM

For those who never thought it'd happen...I finished the Safari replacement kit! Go get it:

http://homepage.mac.com/kohlmannj/dd/index.html

The archive includes version 1.0 of Digital Device. (The theme itself needs some bug fixes, but I really wanted to get the Safari kit out to everyone.) Read the Read Me as well, it's educational .

[Addition: Preview image!]
( Last edited by WICKEDfour; Feb 25, 2004 at 11:31 PM. )

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 11:28 PM

Do you uhh yahoo?

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!

Very cool, love the theme, this is the clincher! DD all the way!

Btw, thanks for helping me out a while back with the plastic buttons

WICKEDfour  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:17 AM

Hey guys, if anyone has a second or two and has access to a PC and has a Mozilla-based browser, please PM me; I need to know how my new page functions in Windows Mozilla. It should work similarly if not identically to Mac Mozilla, but it'd just make me feel better. I was able to check it out with IE 6...what a train wreck, it's like it won't even render parts of the PHP includes...

For everyone else, you can check out another preview of my new site design here:
http://jgraphics.ambitiouslemon.com/...hics/index.php

Please don't steal my code or anything like that...I've worked very hard on this and I would probably scramble the HTML code if I could. (Hmm, you can actually do that, right?)

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 12:38 PM

Wow, I just decided to try this theme again now that the Safari skin is done. I love it. I really like the fact that you took the time to customize the Airport and sound menu bar items. I think if you had the time, making a custom iChat menu bar item would be sweet too.

Also, what icons are people using with this theme? I'm using G5 System from Iconfactory. Are there any others that may work a little better?

Forum Links
Forum Rules