Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Whats the deal with this "Parallells"

Whats the deal with this "Parallells"
PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2006, 10:56 PM

Ok, I would like to get Windows 2000 (because XP Sucks) on my powermac g5 (Powerpc, none of that intel junk in my box), I have tried Virtual PC but it is very, very slow, it detects my G5 as a pentium 2 (like 300-440 Mhz), not enough to play windows games. Parallells is cheap, is it good? Do I have to buy my own version of 2000 or XP? Links please.

Thanks, Jesse

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2006, 11:09 PM

had you checked the company's website you would have noticed that parallels only runs on intel-based macs. it won't run on your machine.

-r.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPc = Pwnage View Post
Ok, I would like to get Windows 2000 (because XP Sucks) on my powermac g5 (Powerpc, none of that intel junk in my box), I have tried Virtual PC but it is very, very slow, it detects my G5 as a pentium 2 (like 300-440 Mhz), not enough to play windows games. Parallells is cheap, is it good? Do I have to buy my own version of 2000 or XP? Links please.

Thanks, Jesse
Unfortunately have quite a few problems ahead of you.

The first is that the PowerPC in this case does not = Pwnage. Shucks.

You posted this in the wrong forum, also managed to spell Parallels wrong, so I'm not quite sure who you were quoting.

Win2k is really not better than XPSP2.

Parallels is not going to allow you to play PC games, unless those PC games are not 3d accelerated. Then yeah you can use it for that, but... yeah okay. Your best bet is to package your G5 get some cash for it and look into a nice intel machine where you can install win2k and play some solitare.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by PowerPc = Pwnage View Post
Ok, I would like to get Windows 2000 (because XP Sucks) on my powermac g5 (Powerpc, none of that intel junk in my box)
Pity, because Intel = Pwnage.

Parallels is exactly what you'd want Virtual PC to be, but only because it runs ONLY on Intel machines.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 24, 2006, 08:35 AM

What about XP "sucks" so bad that you want to use a slower, more memory hungry, less responsive and now nearly unsupported OS?

It looks like Parallels works fine with most Windows OSs, but it has been tweaked to work best with XP.

And don't let other people's experiences with XP on hardware of unknown origin and quality color your view of it. While it's certainly not as smooth and easy to use as OS X, it is certainly not as bad as Win2K! Not by a long shot!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 08:45 AM

PowerPC = Pwnage??? lol

Intel = junk???? lol

Now we know that you are a troll. Besides that, you can't even run Parallels on your outdated PowerPC. Now that is "pwnage".

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
What about XP "sucks" so bad that you want to use a slower, more memory hungry, less responsive and now nearly unsupported OS?
I'm sorry, but did you just claim XP is faster, and uses less memory than 2k?

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 27, 2006, 12:14 PM

XP CAN do well with less memory than Win2K, particularly in a stock, un-tweaked configuration. Further I find that XP is indeed noticably faster than Win2K on the same hardware with the same amount of RAM (which may be processor specific, but is a reproducable effect). So yes, I guess I did say that. This is not a blanket endorsement of XP over 2K for everything, but for a lot of things, maybe even most tasks, yes, XP is much better.

And don't get me started on "ease of management" between the two; XP wins that hands down. And then there's the stupidity of NOT providing decent USB support in the original release of 2K-it wasn't until Service Pack 2 or so that their USB support showed up, and not until SP4 that USB 2.0 support was added-and it's functionally different from XP's as well. Where I worked before I retired, they fielded 2K as a replacement for NT4, and it was definitely an improvement there, but we had so many problems with 2K not supporting necessary hardware like smartcard readers and USB printers that it actually pushed us backward in some ways.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2006, 09:48 AM

If you really like the G5, then just pick up a cheap PC for games. I'm sure you could find one used for about $100. Put that next to your G5 and get a KVM switch for about $50 and you can use the same keyboard, video monitor and mouse on both "boxes".

Forum Links
Forum Rules