Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem installing new hard drive

Problem installing new hard drive
webb3201
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 06:42 PM

I am installing a new drive for a buddy and am running into a snag. After replacing the drive, I cannot get the machine to boot to CD. When I power up, I see 1 second of lghted screen and then the sleep indicator comes on. When I asked my buddy about it, it appears the machine was in a deep sleep, as he had not charged it after it powered off on him a few nights ago. My theory is perhaps that the machine is trying to restore from this sleep and is crashing out at that point. Any thoughts on how to get around this loop (other than reinstalling the old drive which he cleverly left at home)
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 08:22 PM

The only way it could be trying access the sleep file is with the RAM. I'm not sure if the sleep file is saved in RAM at all though, I think it's written to the hard drive. So it doesn't make sense that it would be trying to access that file.

Just for the heck of it. Reset the SMC: make sure it's off, pull out the magsafe and the battery, hold the power button for 5 seconds, pop everything back in and reboot. I'm assuming this is a MacBook?
 Certified AppleCare Technician

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2006, 09:10 PM

You don't mention whether this is an iBook/MacBook.

Try putting a magnet near the trackpad/latch area or around the screen, perhaps it thinks the screen is closed although i've never seen a Mac try to sleep before it's in OS X.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 09:59 PM

hmm....this is in fact a Macbook with 1.25 ram and the stock 80gb Seagate drive. I tried resetting the SMC to no avail. The machine will show a 1 second power up of screen and go straight back into sleep.

I can get the machine to turn off (meaning the sleep light is off), but when I try and power up again..it goes straight to sleep with the sleep light on solid (not pulsing)
( Last edited by webb3201; Dec 23, 2006 at 10:46 PM. )

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 01:39 AM

Does the old drive still work? Try putting it back in. If it boots fine, shut it down properly and reinstall the new drive.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 02:02 AM

It's not in sleep mode. Sounds like possibly something with the logoc board, or the drive is not seated correctly.

Put the old HD back in and see if that works, and try again. If not, you need to bring it into the Apple Store or a service provider.

If it was just a bad drive, you would still be able to boot to CD/DVD. If it were memory, it' beep three times. If it didn't recognize the drive, it'd still boot from CD/DVD.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 07:41 PM

thanks much.......turns out the after market ram stick was either flaky or I dislodged it while replacing the metal bracket. I swung a rubber chicked and swapped everything again and it booted right up.

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by webb3201 View Post
thanks much.......turns out the after market ram stick was either flaky or I dislodged it while replacing the metal bracket. I swung a rubber chicked and swapped everything again and it booted right up.
Ah, that info could have been useful ^_^ Bad ram makes a lot of sense.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 25, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
Ah, that info could have been useful ^_^ Bad ram makes a lot of sense.
I think it was the rubber chicken that really fixed it

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I think it was the rubber chicken that really fixed it
Well, that would make alot of sense. Rubber chickens are magical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules