Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 6400 OF problem?

Performa 6400 OF problem?
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2001, 02:15 AM

I have a Performa 6400/200. I was copying something off the Mac OS X 10.0 CD onto it, and restarted my mac. It accidently began to boot off the CD. The happy mac came up for a second, and then it rebooted. Now all I get is a black screen. I hear the bong, and then nothing. Not even any drive activity. I've tried resetting the PRAM, but it doesn't acknowlege I'm holding down any keys. I've taken out the motherboard and taken off the battery for 15 minutes. Nothing. I've pressed the CUDA reset button many times. Nothing. It will respond to the control-command-power but that's it. Any ideas? If a Mac OS X CD has killed my Performa I'm gonna be real pissed off

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: qnxde ]

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

<wolfeman>
Oct 27, 2001, 02:32 AM

Try booting off a 8.5 or other 'older' Mac system CD. Hold down the C key, etc. I'll post more once I've thought about it...

Eliott

qnxde  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2001, 02:43 AM

It doesn't get that far. Nothing even comes up on the screen - it just stays black. I've tried booting while holding down command-option-o-f to get into open firmware, but nothing happens. Also, the power led on the front doesn't come on. How could software damage hardware?

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

WillyB
Oct 28, 2001, 09:28 AM

Once saw an LC ]]] act this way due to a faulty connection between the keyboard and the box. Try swapping keyboard cables just for giggles.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2001, 05:02 AM

I could be the fool here, but I was not aware that the 6400 had open firmware. In fact, I'm not aware of any 603 based Mac having open firmware. The only ones that I knew had early open firmware were some of the 604 based PCI macs. Beyond that, why were you copying data off from an OS 10 CD? My curiosity runs wild.

Forum Links
Forum Rules