Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > SoundJam OS X Beta

SoundJam OS X Beta
qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2001, 11:12 AM

Anyone with good code hacking skills? I have a copy of the old SoundJam OS X beta, and it works perfectly fine even on OS 10.1, except that even if you give it a valid SoundJam serial number (which you obtain from whatever means), the beta still expires on May 15th, 2001 - which was several months ago. Putting your date back seems to work, but it's a real PITA to do it every time. I know how many people out there still love SoundJam over Audion, and even run it in classic if they have to. iTunes just doesn't fulfill my needs as an mp3 player, and I've already paid for SoundJam so I don't feel like forking out money for Audion. Can anyone think of a solution to this?

Here's to hoping iTunes 2 is up to SoundJam's standards.

If you need a copy of the SoundJam beta, email me at [email protected] and I'll either send it out to you or put it on my idisk if enough people want it.

l8tr,
queenxyde

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

absmiths
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 05:22 PM

SoundJam was awesome! I paid for it too since it had excellent Library handling. I think iTunes's one-dimensional model (similar to the original Mac filesystem!) is too simplistic. Alas, iTunes is however the future of Mac MP3 playing and it is adequate if not perfect. No, I don't know how to change the expiration.

LordJavac
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2001, 07:47 PM

Audion is a good replacement for SoundJam and they'll give you a competative upgrade from SoundJam. I too was dissappointed with iTunes and still am, so I don't use it. Audion has multiple MP3 encoders and also can play Ogg Vorbis files. The WhiteCap and G-Force visuals are available for it. It has a graphical equalizer, and a playlist structure that resmbles SoundJam, rather than the monolithic beast of iTunes. Also it has the neat feature of "linked" playlists, which update to reflect the contents of a directory. Of the MP3 players available for X, I think this is the one most like SoundJam.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2001, 08:48 AM

Agreed; I'd just bite the bullet and go for Audion. The only thing you really miss out on is Realizer, and I never much saw a need for that one anyway.

I do hope they'll somehow manage to get iPod support working. Granted, I'm not all that certain how they would manage to do this, since I doubt Apple will release the specs for that, plus hierarchical playlists would present a problem (though you could convert them to multiple flat playlists, I suppose).

Give me Audion support and OGG firmware, and I might just consider going for one of those things...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2001, 10:10 AM

I used to be a staunch SoundJammer (I mean, with an icon that cool, how can you not be ?), but the 'killer feature' that lured me to iTunes was the real-time text filtering. I use that feature all the time, and it's fantastic with large collections.

...now if only the Finder had this too...

CodeWarrior
Oct 25, 2001, 02:10 PM

I'd wait and check out iTunes 2. They have added the Equalizer with pre-sets back into the product.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: CodeWarrior ]

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2001, 04:09 PM

iTunes 2 should get you off soundjam.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

bluehz
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2001, 06:59 PM

UNfortunately iTunes 2 will not have the ability to send out streaming media as in your own radio station. I like to run the Shoutcast server on OS X and so far the only soultion I have found that I like is running the Classic SoundJam and streaming to the SHoutcast server in X. Sure wish I could use the beta SoundJam X or someone would develop a streaming solution for X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules