Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 Owners: Display oddities?

iBook G4 Owners: Display oddities?
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 09:51 PM

Hello,

I've been an iBook G4/800 owner for almost two weeks now and have been very happy with it (first time with a Mac laptop, so first time with LCDs -- long time desktop Mac user). There was just one oddity (aside from the other "annoyances" others have mentioned, such as creaking left palm area, 1mm gaps, etc) I took special note of: a seeming glow on the bottom of the screen (dock area, hinge area), which seems to be a tad brighter than the rest of the screen.

Some users in Apple's forums have referred to this as the "sunrise effect", which somehow aptly describes what it is -- like the top part of the sun peeking out causing things to be brighter than the rest. Three threads have already noted this:

Do you have this oddity in your iBook? Is this 'normal' or something that has to be checked out lest it leads to future problems?

Advice really appreciated.

EDIT: added MacNN post.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 06:17 AM

I have the glow effect you describe. I would not worry. I believe the glow is caused by a slight pressure on the screen in the dock area (by the mounting hinge). The effect is very subtle, at least on my machine. I normally don't notice it unless I specifically look for it.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 06:29 AM

Mine has this too, but like Sophus, it is not really noticeable unless i really stare hard. Only seems to show when in the nice blue desktop i have. Never see it when running any apps.

Chris

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 06:34 AM

Same issue with me, actually -- if you stare hard enough (or do something like a dead pixel check with a solid color everywhere), you'll notice it. "If you look for trouble, you're bound to find it."

Thing is, I want to know if this is normal behaviour for the iBook G4s, as the LCD screens of other 'Books (AlBook G4/12", iBook G3/900) do not have this peculiarity.

deathvole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 08:11 PM

Hmmm. Never noticed until I tried just now, but think I have the same effect. Thought it was due to my prefered viewing angle. (I like the better contrast when the screen is opened fairly wide.)

Actually my "sunrise" is a very broad (vertically) gradual effect. Maybe it's not the same thing after all....

Doesn't bother me though.

-DV
iBook: 800MHz G4 12"/640MB/30GB/Combo/Airport Extreme/Panther - *schweet* :-)
Sawtooth Desktop: 450MHz G4/768MB/20GBx2/CD/Panther
Windoze Boxen: 2.4GHz P4 Dell, 1GHz Athlon Gateway (Parts extensively repaired/replaced in both... Bleh)

Forum Links
Forum Rules