Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sorry to bug you guys again but ...

Sorry to bug you guys again but ...
Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 06:41 AM

I am the satisfied and proud new owner of a Powerbook G4 1.33 (Rev C) and it's my first mac. I'm loving it .. i was wondering if there is a way to set it so it would be set to high performance (in battery setting) when plugged in, and automatically switch to custom (reduced processor power) when unplugged? usually if i am going to play games i will have it plugged. i will be doing papers and surfing the net when this guy is unplugged.

1) Is it possible to set it so the laptop switches to high performance mode when plugged in, and to reduced processor mode (custom setting) when unplugged? Ideally it would switch back and forth as i plug / unplug the laptop..

Thanks a Bunch!

justinf77
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 06:46 AM

Yep, that is certainly possible.

System Preferences --> Energy Saver

Click the second field from the top, called "Settings for:", and set it to Power Adapter. Then click options, and set processor speed to Highest.

Then click the "Settings for:" field again and select Battery Power. Click options, set processor speed to Reduced or Automatic.

Hope that helps!
PowerBook 15" 1.25 Ghz, 80 GB 5400 RPM HD, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.3.3

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 06:54 AM

sweet! Thanks again .. gawd .. rookie mistake .. haha

NY152
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 07:07 AM

Lancer409 when I first purchased my PowerBook I wanted to set up the exact same thing. I wanted my laptop to be set to full power when plugged in for gaming and the like. And then set to save power when not plugged in for longer battery life.

You can have your Mac do this automatically for you without any additional input by setting up your own rules within energy saver.

First open Energy Saver within your preference pane, then drop down the "Optimize Energy Settings" menu and pick the "Custom" option.

Now notice the "Settings for" menu will either say "Battery Power" or "Power Adapter". Just set your computer for the settings you want for each occasion. Once your finished setting say "Battery Power" select "Power Adapter" and set those options. Just leave the first menu selected as "Custom" and your Mac will know you want to save BOTH groups of settings under one incident.

Once your done close the Energy Saver preference pane. If everything worked out as planned your Mac will now automatically run your "Custom" settings depending on whether it's plugged in or not.

Hope that helps, and welcome aboard.
<over-large signature edited by management>

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:15 AM

Very nice sig NY152

NY152
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Very nice sig NY152
Thank You.
<over-large signature edited by management>

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 06:58 PM

thanks for your help .. loving this mac more with each passing second . wooo .. wooooohooo ...wooohooohooooooooo! ... (that was just 3 seconds .. imagine how annoyed everyone around me feel!

Forum Links
Forum Rules