Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Final Fantasy VII on Connectix VGS

Final Fantasy VII on Connectix VGS
ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2000, 11:59 PM

Hi guys

Has anyone tried playing FFVII or FFVIII on Connectix VGS? I've been hankering to play it again but I don't have a Playstation. I have the original FFVII for PC, but it doesn't play well except on and only on Voodoo-based PCs. Those with RivaTNT2/GeForce based computers don't even run it well. Sigh!

I checked out Connectix's Recommended Games List but no listing of either FFVII/FFVIII was there. I was hoping there'd be a message board dedicated to the games but haven't found one.

Thanks

Trevor Covert
Nov 21, 2000, 02:29 AM

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2000, 03:18 AM

Thanks. Now I can rest knowing that it works.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2000, 05:45 AM

Read the review. It says that there are major problems when playing Final Fantasy VII via Virtual Game Station.

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2000, 06:37 AM

Yes, I've read it. But, oh well, I love the game still.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2000, 10:27 AM

I'll join the chorus. Save your nickels and pick up a PS1 off of ebay. I just got a psx, two controllers, a mem card, and 4 games for $68. VGS is definitely a cool idea, but not all gadgets work as good as they sound.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

dorkums642
Nov 28, 2000, 02:57 AM

My experience with FFVII:
Final Fantasy 7 was the first game I ever tried playing on CVGS. I played successfully through the first disc and when I got to the second I encountered serious problems. You see, I learned that I could just put in the second disc and start a game from there. Bad move, let me tell you. I started losing textures and cursors and everything went to red at random times and stayed like that. So, I futzed with the game a bit and realized that if I put in Disc 1, loaded my saved gamed, then put in the next disc it asks for everything works perfectly. I don't know what it is that helps it but I am now at Sephiroth on the third disc and happily getting my ass tromped.
Hope this helps any issues anyone may have experience with FF7.

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2000, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the "warning." I'll look out for this.

THX1138
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2000, 03:55 AM

In FF8, version 1.4.1 of CVGS semi-fixes a bug where the arrow/cursor/hand wouldn't show up during a battle. With v1.4.1 the cursor shows, but it flickers and slows down animation a tad.

Has anyone tried FF9 on CVGS yet?

-THX

------------------
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.
Just because Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users, numbers alone do not denote a higher form of life. C�ckroaches outnumber humans many times over, and no one says a c�ckroach is better than a human.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2000, 05:16 AM

Why not get a real PlayStation? It doesn't cost much more than CVGS, and it's far more reliable.

At the very least, it's more comfortable to play games from the couch than it is from a chair at a desk.

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2000, 07:01 AM

I'd love to. Unfortunately, the dorm I'm in doesn't allow us to bring in Playstations and TV units. The only form of personal entertainment we can bring in is our personal computers.

Moreover, CVGS was given to me as a gift, so I was thinking if I could use it somehow.

THX1138
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2000, 04:15 PM

I got CVGS for 39.99 and it came with a free Gravis GamePad Pro.

If I were to even buy a PSOne it would cost me about 99.99, not to mention I don't have a TV to use with it.

So for me, the CVGS was a very cheap way to go. (And if you have an iBook or PowerBook, you can play anywhere)

-THX

------------------

namu
Dec 6, 2000, 10:07 AM

Has anyone tried Tenchu2 on VGS?
(yay i know the game is really recent)

mcapehart
Dec 6, 2000, 07:52 PM

I've had CVGS for about a year now, and am nothing but pleased. I am a big fan of Sega, so I will not buy a PS1 or PS2, but still wanted to play the sheer goodness of the Squaresoft games. So all my games are FF7, FF8, FFT, PE, PE2, VS, etc. All RPG's, something lacking on the Mac in a true format.

As for controllers, the iShock is great. Although now I am looking at the airstick from MacAlly to go along with it. And yes, I run this on an iBook, so i can play my games anywhere. You think driving is easy, try it fighting off a horde of Archers in FFT at the same time, with the music pounding throught the car stereo. Beautiful.
-------------------------
The Man, the Myth, the something or other.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2000, 09:10 PM

What kind of systems are generally required for good performance with VGS? I have a way to try a copy but I want to see if its even worth installing (rev. D iMac).

BTW, THX, are you on the NewtonTalk mailing list?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

mcapehart
Dec 6, 2000, 09:51 PM

Timmy, your machine will be fine. My GF runs it on her Rev A iMac, with no problems. Yours will run well too.

-------------------------
The Man, the Myth, the something or other.

ginoledesma  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2000, 01:34 AM

I also have a friend who plays PSX games frequently on his Rev. A iMac / 128MB RAM.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2000, 05:41 PM

I rented FFIX from Blockbuster, and when I tried to play it with VGS 1.4.1, the CD would not take. The CD would spin-up, then eject. Oh, well.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

kingturd
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2000, 06:12 PM

Going back to the original question...

Final Fantasy 7 has a few problems with video and such under VGS. The most annoying this is the lack of the battle cursors. There are also a few other minor bugs.

Final Fantasy 8 can barely run under VGS.. most everything gets screwed up somewhere in the game. I would recommend only playing it on a PSX or wait until another VGS update.

THX1138
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2000, 07:34 PM

I don't own FF7, but I do own FF8, and I have to disagree with you, kingturd.

FF8 with any version of VGS before 1.4.1 also has the missing battle cursors, although only a few _minor_ glitches in other places.
However under v1.4.1 FF8 has the battle cursors, although it adds a strange bug of when you attack or are attacked, if you have the cursor up on screen, the screen will freeze where it last was, but the game continues to play, until you hit a selection (I know it's confusing, you gotta see it to understand it).

Your copy of FF8 may have been dirty or scratched, as I know some games (like Grand Turismo 2, and FF8) are very sensitive to dirt and scratches on the surface of the disc (when played in VGS).

Other than that, FF8 seems to work perfectly under v1.4.1.

-THX

Oh, and no I'm not on the NewtonTalk mailing list. Must be another George Lucas fan.
------------------

[This message has been edited by THX1138 (edited 12-12-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules