Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anyone know where I can find software to make my computer TV ready?

anyone know where I can find software to make my computer TV ready?
Malt Magics
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 06:46 PM

I can't seem to find the software to allow a computer to become TV ready, so does anyone know where I can find this? I've looked on quite a few websites from Clubmac to Buy.com to Maczone et al, but I'm not sure what category it would come under. I've tried asearching for it to no avail. So, any help would be most appreciated, or a direct link would be even better. Thanks.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2004, 06:52 PM

I think you need a WINDOW's to do that, MAC's aren't compatible with T.V.

ok just kidding. For starters, you'll need a TV tuner, like the eyeTV box or the AlchemyTV card. A quick search for these on google will yield good results.
Aloha

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2004, 06:54 PM

Well, wait... does he want to watch TV on his computer, or get the computer content on the TV? 2 very different goals....

"TV ready" is just a bit vague.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 06:58 PM

Presently, that could be a possibility, but I used to know a friend who had his old Power PC TV ready. This was back in '97, and he would watch a game on his computer while watching another one on his regular TV. Perhaps they've stopped manufacturing this software.

boots
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Malt Magics:
Presently, that could be a possibility, but I used to know a friend who had his old Power PC TV ready. This was back in '97, and he would watch a game on his computer while watching another one on his regular TV. Perhaps they've stopped manufacturing this software.
There were a couple of Performa models that were "TV ready." They got out of that game, though.

You can do it, but you need third party hardware/software.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 07:22 PM

to C.J. Moof

when I meant TV ready, I meant to install software onto my computer and hookup a cable wire to watch TV on it.

to boots

what kind of thrid party hardware/software do you mean?

thnaks

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 07:26 PM

to C.J. Moof

when I meant TV ready, I meant to install software onto my computer and hookup a cable wire to watch TV on it.

to boots

what kind of thrid party hardware/software do you mean?

thnaks
You need a TV tuner--the hardware that actually translates the signals coming in off of cable or antenna.

2 types of TV Tuners are available: PCI card and USB device. Both will ship with all the necessary software for watching TV on your PC. Some even include software that will let you record the TV signal to your hard drive.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
You need a TV tuner--the hardware that actually translates the signals coming in off of cable or antenna.

2 types of TV Tuners are available: PCI card and USB device. Both will ship with all the necessary software for watching TV on your PC. Some even include software that will let you record the TV signal to your hard drive.

I have an iMAC, will this work on a MAC or am I out of options?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 07:36 PM

I have an iMAC, will this work on a MAC or am I out of options?
For older iMacs:
http://www.elgato.com/products/eyetvusb-faq.html

For G4 iMac with Firewire:
http://www.elgato.com/products/eyetv200.html
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 07:46 PM

For older iMacs:
http://www.elgato.com/products/eyetvusb-faq.html

For G4 iMac with Firewire:
http://www.elgato.com/products/eyetv200.html

thanks, but...

do you know of any that are compatible w/ Mac Os 9.2? From what I've read it is only OS X compatible.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 08:33 PM

thanks, but...

do you know of any that are compatible w/ Mac Os 9.2? From what I've read it is only OS X compatible.
I don't offhand.

Here are the results of a search for "tv tuner" at Made4Mac at apple.com

Good luck.

P.S. why not upgrade to OS X? IMO, its the only reason to own a Mac.

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 08:37 PM

I don't offhand.

Here are the results of a search for "tv tuner" at Made4Mac at apple.com

Good luck.

P.S. why not upgrade to OS X? IMO, its the only reason to own a Mac.

Thanks for the help, and as for upgrading, I plan to buy a new Mac in the next few months, so I'd rather wait until then rather than spend $119 on the new OS now.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the help, and as for upgrading, I plan to buy a new Mac in the next few months, so I'd rather wait until then rather than spend $119 on the new OS now.
Then you might as well not by an old, USB, OS 9.x compatible TV Tuner, right?

Save your money. Wait till you have a new machine and then check out your options. No sense buying something for a machine you plan to replace.

Malt Magics  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2004, 08:52 PM

Then you might as well not by an old, USB, OS 9.x compatible TV Tuner, right?

Save your money. Wait till you have a new machine and then check out your options. No sense buying something for a machine you plan to replace.

Well, the thing is, I plan to keep the iMac around, and use it for an entertainment center. It's job will be to just play music and perhaps watch TV on. When it eventually dies, I'll crack it open and perform a million dollar man operation by replacing the hard drive and other items, but I'll still use OS 9 for it, because there are some programs I use now that either don't work on OSX or have stopped being made. So, I may buy a tuner for it anyhow.

I did find a few tuners for OS 9 on the link you provided, so thanks for the effort.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2004, 08:53 PM

no problem. Enjoy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules