Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 25)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 11:06 AM

I'm not really up on all the political aspects of this. What made Universal want to be HD-DVD exclusive in the first place? Do they have a financial stake in the format? I can sort of understand why some studios might want to be Blu-ray exclusive, since they apparently like the copy-protection measures provided by the format. In any case, losing Universal's exclusivity would be a blow to HD-DVD.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 11:37 AM

I will not purchase a single high definition disc until there is only one format. In my opinion it was stupid to not settle on a single format.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I'm not really up on all the political aspects of this. What made Universal want to be HD-DVD exclusive in the first place?
No idea, but rumour has it they really, really dislike Sony.

Do they have a financial stake in the format? I can sort of understand why some studios might want to be Blu-ray exclusive, since they apparently like the copy-protection measures provided by the format.
Apparently, the only studio that really wanted Blu-ray's extra protection layer is Fox.

In any case, losing Universal's exclusivity would be a blow to HD-DVD.
Yes it would. Let's see what Universal has to say about this though.

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I will not purchase a single high definition disc until there is only one format. In my opinion it was stupid to not settle on a single format.
I guess you'll be buying in 2010 or whatever then.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heise.de: Pioneer claims Universal going format neutral (German)

The article claims that Pioneer says Universal is backing out of HD DVD exclusivity, but so far Toshiba claims to know nothing about this, and Universal hasn't made any comment on this yet.
If true it would be quite a blow to HD-DVD. They better pray wal-mart backs them up then.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 12:21 PM

Universal is partners with Microsoft through the MSNBC deal several years back. I'm sure that had something to do with it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 02:05 PM

What made Universal want to be HD-DVD exclusive in the first place?
Rumor has it they were being paid off which makes sense.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=180

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Rumor has it they were being paid off which makes sense.
Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray News - Universal Going Neutral?
While it could make sense, I wouldn't put much stock into anything on the blu-ray.com website. That's basically just a Blu-ray fanboy website (which doesn't even have anything to do with the Blu-ray Association).

Heise is at least half-believable at times, which is why I posted the link from Heise.

----

In other news, some more clarification on the Matrix HD DVD Trilogy audio:

Dolby TrueHD 5.1: English
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1: English, French
Dolby Digital Plus 2.0: Spanish

Picture of back cover

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 02:36 PM

While it could make sense, I wouldn't put much stock into anything on the blu-ray.com website. That's basically just a Blu-ray fanboy website (which doesn't even have anything to do with the Blu-ray Association).

Sure but I can't think of any other reason they are staying exclusive. Considering Toshiba makes $0 on most player sales and was offering free movies with player purchases I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility they are paying Universal to be exclusive. It happens with video games all the time.

Unless you can think of a better reason other than they hate sony.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 02:39 PM

In other news, some more clarification on the Matrix HD DVD Trilogy audio:

Dolby TrueHD 5.1: English
Dolby Digital Plus 5.1: English, French
Dolby Digital Plus 2.0: Spanish

Picture of back cover
I love how they list 480i and Stereo as "Special Features".

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 03:43 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 03:46 PM

5.8 points is lightweight?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 03:54 PM

5.8 points is lightweight?
.2 heavier than the same sized MacBook.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 03:58 PM

Which is also not lightweight.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 04:18 PM

I love how they list 480i and Stereo as "Special Features".
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I they mean that the Special features are shown in 480i, with stereo sound and no subtitles.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 04:26 PM

Which is also not lightweight.
Agreed. I'd love to have a 4.9 lb or less MacBook.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 04:43 PM

Agreed. I'd love to have a 4.9 lb or less MacBook.
Well even Apple considers theirs lightweight:

"Packs power, not pounds:
What makes MacBook Pro so mobile? Performance in a portable package. Only one inch thin and 5.6 and 6.8 pounds, respectively, the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pros are amongst the thinnest, lightest notebooks in their display class."

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

I think considering the Sony got what the MacBook Pro's have PLUS BR .2 isn't bad for 15" and that price. Unless there are incredibly light 15" ones out there for cheap?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2007, 04:54 PM

They are among the lightest in their class. My complaint is mostly that there aren't any truly lightweight models (with smaller screens) available if you use a Mac. Even the 12" Powerbook was rather heavy for its size, and you can't even get those anymore. But I digress.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 06:28 PM

Grab yours and lookup smartass.
I take that as a compliment

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 11:03 PM

Engadget: Universal denies rumours they're going neutral

Craig Kornblau, the President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment tells us in an email that the rumors that Universal will support Blu-ray "are totally false".

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 9, 2007, 11:04 PM

Engadget: Universal denies rumours they're going neutral

Craig Kornblau, the President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment tells us in an email that the rumors that Universal will support Blu-ray "are totally false".
They also said it best:

"As much as we love to get the official word straight from the horses mouth, we can't help but feel like this is like the time the head coach was denying rumors of his star quarterback getting traded, right before the trade goes through."

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2007, 11:10 PM

"As much as we love to get the official word straight from the horses mouth, we can't help but feel like this is like the time the head coach was denying rumors of his star quarterback getting traded, right before the trade goes through."
Engadget has a Blu-ray slant for some reason. Or at least some of the guys who post stories there do.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of Universal going... well... universal, but if they did, it'd be unlikely before CES 2008 IMO, and only if HD DVD sales tank in Q4 2007.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 08:11 AM

They also said it best:

Translation: We trust some random website with an unfounded rumor over the comments of the actual company.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2007, 09:59 AM

I agree, although there are numerous examples of companies vehemently denying various things only to have them come true, sometimes the very next day.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 10:32 AM

They also said it best:

Totally false is pretty strong language. I would expect if it was something that was actually happening they'd say something like "no immediate plans" or something. That, and this is Universal talking, not the "head coach" Toshiba.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 08:56 PM

Article on how Fox seems to have somewhat abandon Bluray:
Hey Blu-ray, where did Fox go? - Engadget HD
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Article on how Fox seems to have somewhat abandon Bluray:
Hey Blu-ray, where did Fox go? - Engadget HD
Was already debated and debunked a while back.

Hi-Def DVD Empire: FOX Abandoning Blu-ray?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:59 AM

Sony has been sued over copyright infringement with Blu-ray tech

Not absolutely clear on the details yet, but apparently the discs' extra reflective coating layer supposedly infringes on IP owned by Target Technology, an optical coatings maker. (This is not the hard coat of Blu-ray by the way, and apparently may affect BD50 the most.)
( Last edited by Eug; May 11, 2007 at 10:17 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 01:03 PM

Not absolutely clear on the details yet, but apparently the discs' extra reflective coating layer supposedly infringes on IP owned by Target Technology, an optical coatings maker. (This is not the hard coat of Blu-ray by the way, and apparently may affect BD50 the most.)
So in other words in 3 years they will either settle or get it thrown out of court.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

I agree, although there are numerous examples of companies vehemently denying various things only to have them come true, sometimes the very next day.
Especially Apple with its "People don't want to watch video's on an iPod" and then releasing iPod video's the next month.

Apple did the exact same thing quite a few times in the past 5 years.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 01:24 PM

Especially Apple with its "People don't want to watch video's on an iPod" and then releasing iPod video's the next month.
iPod video's what?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 01:25 PM

What ever happend with that hard coat? Will we ever get a consumer version for CDs, iPods, Cell Phones, etc?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
What ever happend with that hard coat? Will we ever get a consumer version for CDs, iPods, Cell Phones, etc?
Tell me about it, they should cover everything in that stuff.

Anyway, the BR disks do use it as someone put them through the tests and even with major surface damage the disks played perfectly.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 02:28 PM

Dear lord, My PS3 takes 10 seconds to boot and play a disk from a cold start.

"We picked up a couple titles from Universal, including Children of Men and The Good Shepherd. We hit the eject button to load our disc, and although the player turned on, it requires a 40 second pause, than a second push of the button to actually open the tray. We're not sure if anyone else uses the eject button to turn on their player, but it would be nice if it ejected regardless of if the player was already on or not. When the power button is pressed the display reads WELCOME and takes about 40 seconds to recognize that there isn't a disc loaded, then it displays NO DISC, at this point it takes about 6 seconds after pressing the eject button before the tray opens. After inserting a HD DVD it takes about 25 seconds of LOADING before the disc is identified and finally starts to play."

Toshiba HD-A20 review - Engadget HD

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
All BDs use it. The reason is because the data layer is so close to the surface. Mild scratches can make that part unreadable, and a deeper gouge can make the disc unusable. Blu-ray's answer to this was a disc caddy, but everyone told them they were totally out to lunch for even considering a disc caddy, so Blu-ray changed its mind and started using hardcoats instead. TDK has the best one, but most of the replicators use a non-TDK hardcoat, cuz TDK's costs too much.

Dear lord, My PS3 takes 10 seconds to boot and play a disk from a cold start.

"We picked up a couple titles from Universal, including Children of Men and The Good Shepherd. We hit the eject button to load our disc, and although the player turned on, it requires a 40 second pause, than a second push of the button to actually open the tray. We're not sure if anyone else uses the eject button to turn on their player, but it would be nice if it ejected regardless of if the player was already on or not. When the power button is pressed the display reads WELCOME and takes about 40 seconds to recognize that there isn't a disc loaded, then it displays NO DISC, at this point it takes about 6 seconds after pressing the eject button before the tray opens. After inserting a HD DVD it takes about 25 seconds of LOADING before the disc is identified and finally starts to play."

Toshiba HD-A20 review - Engadget HD
It's funny they should choose two discs, considering those are the main two which have manufacturing issues. They either have recognition problems, skipping problems, or just don't play. Like I said, Engadget really seems to have a pro-Blu-ray slant.

Universal announces HD DVD replacement program for Children of Men and The Good Shepherd

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

It's funny they should choose two discs, considering those are the main two which have manufacturing issues. They either have recognition problems, skipping problems, or just don't play. Like I said, Engadget really seems to have a pro-Blu-ray slant.
So what you are saying is the unit takes 40 second to boot because of this?

Can you confirm that non-defective disks take less time to start on these or last gen players?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 03:05 PM

So what you are saying is the unit takes 40 second to boot because of this?

Can you confirm that non-defective disks take less time to start on these or last gen players?
I don't know how long the Toshiba takes for a cold boot, with a disc in it. They didn't test that anyway.

You should note however, your PS3 is IIRC the fastest Blu-ray player in existence. Similarly, my Xbox 360 is faster than the standalone HD DVD players.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 03:25 PM

I don't know how long the Toshiba takes for a cold boot, with a disc in it. They didn't test that anyway.

You should note however, your PS3 is IIRC the fastest Blu-ray player in existence. Similarly, my Xbox 360 is faster than the standalone HD DVD players.
Well the old players took 50 seconds to boot and this one is 9 seconds faster. Annoying as hell.

But yes I know the PS3 is the fastest because it is overpowered for just BR... but god bless it.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 04:42 PM

Tell me about it, they should cover everything in that stuff.

Anyway, the BR disks do use it as someone put them through the tests and even with major surface damage the disks played perfectly.
IIRC, it had something to do with the coating making the plastics more prone to cracking/breaking.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 07:49 PM

I'm jealous...

Some people have already received their Matrix Trilogy HD DVDs.

It's not due out until the 22nd.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 08:14 PM

I'm jealous...

Some people have already received their Matrix Trilogy HD DVDs.

It's not due out until the 22nd.
It's too bad the Matrix has to come with those two crappy movies.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2007, 08:39 PM

Zing! I think they clearly make more money selling them only as a trilogy. Kind of like how the Godfather movies were only available in a set for a long time. How else are you going to sell Godfather 3?

That said, I think the last two Matrix movies have their good parts. It's just that they're big disappointments compared to the original movie.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:15 PM

Yeah, they'll probably milk the Trilogy for about a year, before they sell them separately.

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 10:49 PM

The last two were decent movies. There was nothing that bad about them. It's just that the first one was so good, the other two couldn't live up to it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 10:57 PM

I thought that Matrix was pretty good on the 1st viewing, and got better with repeated viewings.

I thought Reloaded and Revolutions were merely OK.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
The last two were decent movies. There was nothing that bad about them. It's just that the first one was so good, the other two couldn't live up to it.
This isn't the thread for it, but I disagree.
Matrix Sequels : The Matrix :: Star Wars Prequels : Star Wars

Is this really supposed to be a big seller for HD-DVD, though?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
This isn't the thread for it, but I disagree.
Matrix Sequels : The Matrix :: Star Wars Prequels : Star Wars

Is this really supposed to be a big seller for HD-DVD, though?
It may not be as big as some new releases, but I think it should be a reasonably big seller.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2007, 12:51 AM

Just so everyone remembers, this is not an exclusive, although it is coming out earlier than BR version.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 12:40 PM

Just so everyone remembers, this is not an exclusive, although it is coming out earlier than BR version.
I suspect it's because the Blu-ray guys still haven't implemented Picture-in-Picture support yet. The sad part is once they do get it implemented, most Blu-ray players won't even be able to use it.

P.S. Here are the latest format war numbers. It's nice to see a documentary do so well. (The top-selling disc is given an arbitrary rating of 100 for comparison.)

Weekly unit sales BD:HD - 60:40 (1.5:1)
Year to date sales BD:HD - 68:32 (2.1:1)
# since inception BD:HD - 57:43 (1.3:1)
( Last edited by Eug; May 12, 2007 at 01:22 PM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 02:18 PM

1.5:1 isn't as bad as last week.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2007, 03:05 PM

I think the fact that Digital Video Essentials is the #5 seller on the HD-DVD side tends to support my theory that HD-DVD buyers are largely home theater buffs and not the general public. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it ties in with my prediction that the PS3 owners will start buying more movies when there are more big name releases out.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules