Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help! big problems with 10.4.8 upgrade!

help! big problems with 10.4.8 upgrade!
deermatt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 10:14 AM

i just moved, so my 1.8ghz imac g5 hasnt been on the internet for about 2 months now. I turn it on yesterday, everythings fine, today i do software update, and it finds updates for a bunch of programs , even mac osx, the 10.4.8 upgrade, so im like, cool . I turn everything back on, and have issues.

1. in the upper right, my wireless signal isnt even there, and says im not on the internet, so i do the system diagnostics, and i find my network and im online, but my signal still doesnt show up, and each time i get online, i have to do that same task.

2. my computer randomly shuts off... yes, i dont know what the update is for, but now my computer shuts off randomly.

someone please help me, or whats going on.. thanks
photography is beautiful

deermatt  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 12:04 PM

i think my computer may have downloaded the intel version of the update? i dono , someone please help!
photography is beautiful

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2006, 12:37 PM

1.8Ghz G5, isn't that Rev A? That would mean that you have one of the iMac G5s plagued by problems. Look at the iMac G5 extended repair and see if yours is covered under it.

deermatt  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 12:47 PM

woops, i ment 2ghz g5, its fixed now, thank you
photography is beautiful

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 04:40 AM

The Airport problem is a known issue. Search the Apple Support for it. (In essence, you have to remove your current settings and set it up again).

Computer randomly shutting off is possibly an overheating issue. Try resetting the power management (I think it is called SMU on the iMacs). Again, Apple Support will have the method for how to do this for your model iMac.

deermatt  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2006, 11:35 PM

i think i reset my smu correctly.. i unplugged all the cables for 10 seconds, plugged the power cable back in while pressing the power button, then pressed power one more time .. it hasnt turned off yet , but who knows.. anything else i can reset?
photography is beautiful

Forum Links
Forum Rules