Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve Jobs - another leave of absence

Steve Jobs - another leave of absence (Page 4)
OreoCookie
Jan 27, 2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's also not fair to think that Apple just borrows a library here and there while all of the really impressive stuff is created in their own labs. They certainly have developed a lot of very impressive technology of their own including software, but kernel development, developing a solid TCP/IP stack, compilers, etc. is definitely *not* easy.
Sure, Apple builds on top of decades worth of software development. But I think even there, you can see some innovation: Apple has a history of fostering certain technologies, e. g. KHTML which eventually became WebKit, clang + llvm, OpenCL, etc. It benefits from open source, but open source also benefits from the ubiquity of those new technologies -- a win-win situation in my book.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 06:44 PM

For hardware, don't forget the old stuff.

Apple I and Apple ][
Apple //c
Macintosh
ARM6
iMac
Firewire
etc.

freudling
Banned
Jan 27, 2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
For hardware, don't forget the old stuff.

Apple I and Apple ][
Apple //c
Macintosh
ARM6
iMac
Firewire
etc.
And:

Newton
Clamshell iBook
White iBook
Titanium PowerBook
Mac Mini...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Sure, Apple builds on top of decades worth of software development. But I think even there, you can see some innovation: Apple has a history of fostering certain technologies, e. g. KHTML which eventually became WebKit, clang + llvm, OpenCL, etc. It benefits from open source, but open source also benefits from the ubiquity of those new technologies -- a win-win situation in my book.

There is definitely a two way relationship here, I agree.

freudling
Banned
Jan 30, 2011, 06:23 PM

First, this is speculative, so don't take this as fact. And don't attack me if you don't want to believe something, etc. I'm just sharing this because this is a community of Mac folks and I thought it might be interesting to share. By all means, if you have info, I'd encourage you to share it too.

So I was talking to a friend in the Valley yesterday. He's been around and knows everyone and I trust him. A lot of you have most certainly heard of him, too.

He's about 95% sure Steve won't be coming back. I won't get into anything more, but that's the gist of it. After I left the place, it was a very long walk home. You know when something happens that really changes your perspective on things and life... Cars seem to just "trace" by. People don't seem real. Surreal...

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I am a fan of Steve Jobs. He's had a huge impact on my generation.

On the walk home, I tried to come to terms with this. If it's true, it's sad. For me, anyway. Over the past day, I've prepared myself for this post-Jobs era. I guess we'll all deal with it in our own way, some maybe completely indifferent.

And this information could be wrong, where he could bounce back. But from my impression, that's not what was implied. But anyway you look at it, I've prepared myself for the worst, and I'm hoping for the best.

I don't really know why I spilled this here. I just did. I needed to get this off my chest.

If anyone has any other prying questions about this, PM me, I'll tell you what I know.
( Last edited by freudling; Jan 30, 2011 at 06:35 PM. )

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post

He's about 95% sure Steve won't be coming back. I won't get into anything more, but that's the gist of it. After I left the place, it was a very long walk home. You know when something happens that really changes your perspective on things and life... Cars seem to just "trace" by. People don't seem real. Surreal...

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I am a fan of Steve Jobs. He's had a huge impact on my generation.

On the walk home, I tried to come to terms with this. If it's true, it's sad. For me, anyway. Over the past day, I've prepared myself for this post-Jobs era. I guess we'll all deal with it in our own way, some maybe completely indifferent.

And this information could be wrong, where he could bounce back. But from my impression, that's not what was implied. But anyway you look at it, I've prepared myself for the worst, and I'm hoping for the best.

I don't really know why I spilled this here. I just did. I needed to get this off my chest.
I disagree with Steve's political views but I have the utmost respect for his talent. IMHO, he has changed the way we use technology in a profound way.

I hope he can return to Apple for a few more years but if your friend is to be believed (and you obviously do), we will just have to come to grips with a Jobless Apple sooner than we would like. We are all mortal and everything comes to an end someday. If he doesn't come back within a year, then I think he must be mortally ill. Steve is not the type to ever retire.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2011, 06:54 PM

I'm sorry that you are troubled freudling, and I don't mean to sound like I'm mocking or belittling your concern. I definitely understand the sentimentality behind losing Jobs, if all of this is true, but I really don't think that we should worry about a Jobsless world. Life will go on, and Apple will continue to go on doing what it has been doing, I think.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2011, 06:59 PM

Boy, it sounds as if freudling is personally attached to the man. Sure, Apple pressers won't be the same without him, but Apple won't have changed fundamentally.

freudling
Banned
Jan 30, 2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Boy, it sounds as if freudling is personally attached to the man. Sure, Apple pressers won't be the same without him, but Apple won't have changed fundamentally.
I guess in several ways, yes, that's a good observation. I am attached to him. One of the very few things I am attached to in my life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules