Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Microsoft Word vs. Apple Pages - End User Feedback Wanted

Microsoft Word vs. Apple Pages - End User Feedback Wanted (Page 2)
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2005, 11:55 AM

DP
(OT)
how about a 'remove post' option in the new edit box

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
That may sound logical but it's not practical. The conversion of a Pages document to html is less than good for starters and copying a formatted doc into DW is so that doc will retain it's original format and be converted into html as part of the site page being worked on. Using the method you suggest the doc in Pages isn't converted into html very well at all, original formatting may be lost and when it gets to DW it has to be tweaked to fix not only the formatting but the inaccurate html Pages may have created as well.

With Word the page is simply copied, formatting intact, and DW creates the correct html. No messing about.

I'd love that to work with Pages but it doesn't. Maybe in a future version
You aren't just copying the text from Word in to DW then 'publishing' the pages are you?GAH!
Copying formatted text out of Word brings with it all sorts of 'Word' tag garbage, like <place></place> tags round place names, huge numbers of <font> tags most of which is just code bloat in an HTML page. DW does have a 'remove Word formatting' filter but it can mis some.
When I get copy for a web page sent to me in a Word .doc I ether have to copy bita at a time in to the source view, or remove the formatting by pasting the text in to a other app Notepad on the PC or TextEdit on the Mac.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by pliny
Why do they say that?
Have you sat in on very many powerpoints? It creates lazy presentations, they are boring, etc. People out in the business world are getting tired of it.

Check out Bill Gates latest powerpoint that is circulating on the web about Live.Net. That pretty much explains this shifting of the tides.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2005, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Reggie Fowler
I want to laugh at some of the responses in various posts as to Pages suggested use/purpose. Pages WAS designed to be a word processing application and have superior layout capabilities. While Apple succeeded on the 'layout front' by making brochures and articles easy to create; they failed miserably in making it a word processing application.

snip

It's NOW and ALWAYS WILL BE a word processing application.......

but right now, it's a BAD one!
Maybe you should attempt to express yourself one more time. Didn't quite follow...

Some like Pages, some do not. Some like Word, some do not.

I happen to like Pages and use it nearly every day of the work week as a Word Processor. I have never used an Apple supplied template although I have used many of my own.

I think Apple attacked something in this first version which is a big weakness in almost every WP I have tried. Easy to understand Styles use. This must be fairly difficult since Word is now almost to version 12 and M$ still can't figure out how to make this easy.

Nisus Express and Mellel even struggle here but they are well ahead of Word. Unfortunately they do not play nice with Word which Pages is also very adept at.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
You aren't just copying the text from Word in to DW then 'publishing' the pages are you?GAH!
Copying formatted text out of Word brings with it all sorts of 'Word' tag garbage, like <place></place> tags round place names, huge numbers of <font> tags most of which is just code bloat in an HTML page. DW does have a 'remove Word formatting' filter but it can mis some.
When I get copy for a web page sent to me in a Word .doc I ether have to copy bita at a time in to the source view, or remove the formatting by pasting the text in to a other app Notepad on the PC or TextEdit on the Mac.
DW8 handles this task more efficiently.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules