Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Burn CD with Apple Sofware

Burn CD with Apple Sofware
Richard Clark
Senior User
May 27, 2001, 04:44 PM

G4/450/DVD RAM/Zip
256 MB RAM
10 GB HD (Internal)
10 GB HD (External)
Sony CD-R/RW 12x8x32 (Firewire)

I just purchased the Sony Firewire drive and tried to make a backup copy of OS X using Apple's burning software. It burned but I was not able to boot from the CD when restarting.

1. How do you set up the CD to burn so that you're able boot from the CD at startup? (example - backup of System folder)

2. Should Disk Copy be used?

3. Or should I invest in Toast Titanium???

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's nice to be able to burn CD's. Now if I can just get the information to ensure that I'm not making Coasters.

Also, any tips and tricks regarding burning CD would be great.

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 27, 2001, 05:59 PM

Get Toast. You have to do a direct copy of the cd. You can't just drag it on. Toast rules anyways .

------------------

tdominey
Forum Regular
May 28, 2001, 12:07 PM

Yes, creating a bootable CD can be a little tricky. I've made a few coasters in my days.

Good news though is that Toast 5.0 is truly great...much easier to use and more stable than 4. Get it, and check the instructions about how to create a bootable system CD. Quite easy once you get it down.

This can also save you some serious headaches down the road. I periodically create a backup of my system folder on CD in the event something goes screwy.
---------------------------------------
Dominey Design
http://www.domineydesign.com/

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 28, 2001, 04:39 PM

Hi Richard,
What software came with your burner? I know that a lot of Sonys come with Discribe, which should also let you do byte-for-byte disc copies... Currently, Disc burner does not allow you to do that. Toast (as everyone has indicated) will allow you to do disc Copies and much more. Toast will also allow you to do some other nice things such as create VCD's, creating music CD's faster than iTunes, and a variety of other things....
good luck
dave

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Toast Titanium is on order and should be here in a couple days.

The Sony drive did ship with Discribe but I chose not to install it. My thinking was that the Apple software would probabbly do a better job. And I knew that Toast was the mother of all burning programs. So the purchase is well worth it. I'm looking forward to it. Also a digital camera is on the way so I can fill up CD-R's with tons of pics from the new camera!!!

Thanks again for your help!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Toast Titanium is on order and should be here in a couple days.
The Sony drive did ship with Discribe but I chose not to install it. My thinking was that the Apple software would probabbly do a better job. And I knew that Toast was the mother of all burning programs. So the purchase is well worth it. I'm looking forward to it. Also a digital camera is on the way so I can fill up CD-R's with tons of pics from the new camera!!!

Thanks again for your help!
Great Richard!
I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Regards,
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules