Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > BlueTooth problems after 10.3.4

BlueTooth problems after 10.3.4
fanchee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2004, 01:22 PM

Hi,

After applying the update, now everytime I wake the PowerBook from sleep, my BT keyboard is recognized, but not my BT mouse. I have to go to BT prefs and set up new device every time. Total pain. Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks. I'm using a BT-500 mouse and Apple wireless keyboard, if it matters.

viachiangmai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 07:43 PM

i've got problems, too. After installing 10.3.4, i found that my microsoft bluetooth mouse doesn't connect right away like it used to - takes about 30 sec. At least it connects, though.
my music making partner - 1.25 GHz, 15" Aluminum Powerbook (refurb), 2 GB RAM, MS Bluetooth mouse, sfbags vertical sleeve w. flap

live to love, love to live - you have one life, but if you live it right, once is enough

fanchee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2004, 07:56 PM

Maybe I wasn't waiting long enough, I don't know. Today it seems to be working fine, strange.

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2004, 08:40 PM

Does the "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth" work with OS X (Panther)? The product website:

System Requirements

Doesn't mention Mac compatibility at all. Also, is there a list somewhere of bluetooth mice that do (besides the Apple)? I'd really like to get a multi-button bluetooth mouse.

Thanks,
BD

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 31, 2004, 09:02 PM

My Bluetooth phone works fine.

viachiangmai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
Does the "Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth" work with OS X (Panther)? The product website:

System Requirements

Doesn't mention Mac compatibility at all. Also, is there a list somewhere of bluetooth mice that do (besides the Apple)? I'd really like to get a multi-button bluetooth mouse.

Thanks,
BD
i use the microsoft bluetooth intellimouse and it worked great with no connection problems... until i installed the 10.3.4 update. The mouse doesn't have an on/off switch which is a drag since i carry it in my backpack everyday. i'm going to switch to the macmice bluetooth mouse when it comes out (hopefully later this month) if it has an on/off switch.
my music making partner - 1.25 GHz, 15" Aluminum Powerbook (refurb), 2 GB RAM, MS Bluetooth mouse, sfbags vertical sleeve w. flap

live to love, love to live - you have one life, but if you live it right, once is enough

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by fanchee:
After applying the update, now everytime I wake the PowerBook from sleep, my BT keyboard is recognized, but not my BT mouse. I have to go to BT prefs and set up new device every time. Total pain. Any ideas or workarounds?
I just bought a new 12-inch PowerBook and Apple Wireless (BT) Keyboard and Mouse and was having the same problem (keyboard pairs on wake, mouse does not).

I searched the MacNN Forums and found a suggestion to update the BT software and click the mouse to wake it. When I checked Software Update, I had indeed missed the latest BT software update, which I installed. The mouse still takes a while to pair. I've found that turning it on and off (the Apple BT mouse has an on/off switch) speeds up the process, but is a pain. So I'm still working on my setup.

There is one additional problem I have. I run my PB in clamshell mode with an external 17" LCD. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to wake up the 'Book with the BT keyboard or mouse, like I used to be able to do with a wired USB keyboard and mouse. Right now, I have to plug in another USB device to wake the PowerBook without opening it up. Do you have any other suggestions for waking the PowerBook when using only Bluetooth input devices without opening up the lid?

TIA for any feedback and suggestions.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 11:46 AM

I am having trouble getting my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse to be recognized when waking from sleep too. Usually it gets paired in a couple seconds. Last night however, it completely lost it, and the Apple Wireless keyboard was flaky at times. I have to go find my ISB mouse to re-do the pairing setup. I thought the point of making a device a favorite was that no more pairing would be necessary???

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 12:05 PM

I sure am a complete Bluetooth newbie. But I am learning....

It turns out that even though Software Update downloaded the Bluetooth Firmware Updater, it didn't actually run the installer. Now that I've run the BT firmware updater manually, the Control Panel displays the "allow BT devices to wake this computer." With that option checked, I can indeed use my BT keyboard to wake my PowerBook.

Now the only thing that bothers me is the steep angle of the Apple Wireless Keyboard? Why on earth did Apple assume that every user would want an angled keyboard? I want my keyboard flat, and I already feel the onset of carpal tunnel. I guess it's already time to look for a 3rd party BT keyboard that lies flat...

SoBayJake: Have you successfully run the Bluetooth Firmware Updater?

Escher

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 12:34 PM

Boy, it doesn't end.... Software Update downloaded the Wireless Keyboard Updater and Wireless Mouse Updater into my Applications/Utilities folder but didn't run them either. I guess firmware updates just have to be done manually. Anyway, my Bluetooth setup works even better now.

Escher

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 01:58 PM

SoBayJake: Have you successfully run the Bluetooth Firmware Updater?
Escher: I installed the firmware updater right when I installed the BT module (Dlink DBT-120), keyboard, and mouse. Just to be sure, I updated it again. We'll see if that helps.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 03:11 PM

Good luck, Jake. I guess I should be glad that I went for the one-button Apple Wireless Mouse instead of a two or more button 3rd party BT mouse. One should hope that Apple's own products will be well-supported.

Escher

Forum Links
Forum Rules