Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lets Talk TIGER......

Lets Talk TIGER...... (Page 10)
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Here you go, i've posted this before in another forum.

AWSOME!!! it looks GREAT! I wanna see more!!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
You're addicted to OSX. Repeat after me: You are addicted to OSX. You will buy a new Mac every time a new model comes out. You will pay $129 every year for an OS upgrade. You will pay premium prices for RAM. You will not moan about cheap graphic cards in top end Macs. You will believe the G5 is faster than light. You will use the term supercomputer to your PeeCee friends. You will call anyone who likes any part of Windows a troll. You will buy songs from ITMS for $1.50 each. You will buy a 30 inch Cinema Display. You will buy new Apple Care every year even after you sold your computer.
Umm...ok

You're addicted to OSX. Repeat after me: You are addicted to OSX. You will buy a new Mac every time a new model comes out. You will pay $129 every year for an OS upgrade. You will pay premium prices for RAM. You will not moan about cheap graphic cards in top end Macs. You will believe the G5 is faster than light. You will use the term supercomputer to your PeeCee friends. You will call anyone who likes any part of Windows a troll. You will buy songs from ITMS for $1.50 each. You will buy a 30 inch Cinema Display. You will buy new Apple Care every year even after you sold your computer.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Group51
Senior User
Jun 6, 2004, 10:25 AM

This is what I fed back to Apple, following inspiration from this great thread:

Oh my God!

Please put smart playlists into the Finder, and let me put custom metadata (that I create and manage) and keywords on files.

(1) Even better, let Sherlock generate the keywords for me. Wait, no. Let Sherlock do this: I say I want to find documents about 'records management policy'. I think I recall Sherlock does V-Twin, and so can find the results from the indexing. Great, so let me attach that search criteria to a folder, so the contents show only documents matching that criteria.

(2) I have various apps that download files and its a pain in the arse to find them, so, a smart play list 'such as show new files added today', would be great.

or 'show all .wmv files' - easy to delete ;-)

(3) And go further, I like the idea of Folder Actions, and reading this, I've just looked at it. It looks good, but...

(4) I want to be able to say, with a smart playlist,

'file matches criteria x, do y

e.g. file added to system today, move to 'new files' folder.

Oh, I know what to call them - smart folders!

They can be anywhere, but they can also live in the Sidebar.

(5) Hmm, perhaps the iPhoto and iTunes library should be accessible from the sidebar too? Then I can just insert pictures to Word directly from iPhoto. Cough, I mean into Appleworks 7, right? Looks at the AppleWorks team, with pointed stare...

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2004, 04:11 PM

You didn't really send that did you? That was completely unintelligible.

-- Jason

slipperfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by 3.1416:
No need to ditch Aqua. Quartz Extreme has the architecture to easily handle effects like that, and I'll be surprised if we don't see something along those lines in Tiger.
Ye gods I hope not... what a waste of cycles! Just give us back the window shade! What's so awful about that?

Why is there so much demand for eye candy? Does the genie effect really help you work better? Do throbbing buttons and pulsating progress bars make life easier? I cannot think of any time when having translucent, fadeaway menus made my day a little easier. In fact, even on my eMac they fade so slowly as to make life MORE difficult. Finally wound up disabling them entirely with FruitMenu.

If some people like it, great. But how about providing an off switch for those of us who don't?

If I could have one thing in Tiger, it would be the ability to turn off the eye candy. Even if they didn't make any other improvements, that alone would sell it to me.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by slipperfrog:
Ye gods I hope not... what a waste of cycles! Just give us back the window shade! What's so awful about that?

Why is there so much demand for eye candy? Does the genie effect really help you work better? Do throbbing buttons and pulsating progress bars make life easier? I cannot think of any time when having translucent, fadeaway menus made my day a little easier. In fact, even on my eMac they fade so slowly as to make life MORE difficult. Finally wound up disabling them entirely with FruitMenu.

If some people like it, great. But how about providing an off switch for those of us who don't?

If I could have one thing in Tiger, it would be the ability to turn off the eye candy. Even if they didn't make any other improvements, that alone would sell it to me.
YOU my friend, are abs-o-lu-tl-ee RIGHT
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2004, 10:30 PM

Actually someone made an interesting point. Or rather said something that got me thinking a bit. What if the finder viewed iPhoto and iTunes libraries the way the apps themselves do? Stick a bit of code from each into the finder, make it view the same way so long as the programs exist on the HD. Put greater integration in between iTunes and iPhoto and the Finder.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Actually someone made an interesting point. Or rather said something that got me thinking a bit. What if the finder viewed iPhoto and iTunes libraries the way the apps themselves do? Stick a bit of code from each into the finder, make it view the same way so long as the programs exist on the HD. Put greater integration in between iTunes and iPhoto and the Finder.
Are you sure MS isn't doing the innovating and apple the copying? Windows has had that since 2k I think
Aloha

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
This must never happen.

The reason: I develop a program for windows that works very well. I think make a crap hack: Wine version that will work for Wine on Mac. (that's when I say "see, I develop for Mac and Windows" and we are stuck with low quality programs.)
So maybe Apple should bring back the "Yellow Box" (ie, Cocoa for Windows). This would create the reverse problem, but may encourage some developers to build for Mac first, and have the ugly port on Windows

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2004, 10:52 PM

Just a bit of code, just slap it in there...

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
Just a bit of code, just slap it in there...
or copy and paste ?

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by macavity:
Some work on VOIP integrated into an optional install of corporate iChat (lots of security, logging and port control features).Allow Macs to become the preferred VOIP control system for the VOIP hardware that will hit the market in 2005
Apple should incorporate free VOIP <--> Traditional Phone cross-over with iChat/Tiger/.Mac so that I can use iChat to make a VOIP call to any real phone number in the world. I don't know how expensive it would be to operate such a server/service, but I think it would poise Apple for great innovation.

Imagine being able to use your Mac and either Address Book. iChat, or some other new application to manage your voice communications. With cross-references to email, iChat logs, etc.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 02:24 PM

Here you go, i've posted this before in another forum.

That sure beats the bloody bouncing dock icons! My wishlist would have something like this that could replace all the bouncing icons in the dock. Apple, just give me a way of turning off the bouncing in the dock for warnings or messages.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by EMC:
evidently you're not familiar with mplayer. It's a unix app which plays back wma 8 and 9, quicktime 5 and 6, realplayer, vob, and every other imaginable format and codec at full screen full frame rate.

I'm familiar with mplayer. It's slow, and crashy too.

I'm not knocking it - it is free after all - but it definitely gets the bronze after VLC and QTplayer.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by wulf:
I'm familiar with mplayer. It's slow, and crashy too.

I'm not knocking it - it is free after all - but it definitely gets the bronze after VLC and QTplayer.
Despite the fact that it plays some files (particularly the audio track of some files) that neither VLC nor QT can handle correctly???

It sure ain't slow or crashy for me!

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Despite the fact that it plays some files (particularly the audio track of some files) that neither VLC nor QT can handle correctly???

It sure ain't slow or crashy for me!
On G4s I find mplayer more likely to drop frames, or quit on encountering a bad/corrupt header, than VLC. (On a G5 speed is not an issue, so no dropped frames.)

VLC used to be more problematic, but with more recent builds I find it generally more reliable/stable than mplayer.

YMMV.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 07:50 PM

On G4s I find mplayer more likely to drop frames, or quit on encountering a bad/corrupt header, than VLC. (On a G5 speed is not an issue, so no dropped frames.)

VLC used to be more problematic, but with more recent builds I find it generally more reliable/stable than mplayer.

YMMV.
I downloaded the latest version of both last Friday onto my G4 12". I found MPlayer to be substantially better than VLC for me. I guess people should be aware that their mileage may vary with these applications. I've certainly decided to keep both around, as it is apparent that different files are better on one than on the other and visa versa.

Sorry, getting way off topic here

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jun 8, 2004, 01:39 PM

I think that Tiger might have a big focus on improving the applications, such as mail. there have been a lot of forum posts about the finder, but there's so much more to complain about..

I would love to see smart folders in Mail. if you've used the new outlook and gotten used to the "unread mail" folder you know what I'm talking about.

How about smart folders in the finder? All my word documents, or all my whatever type of files. Files over size X, created today, between whatever dates. Make information way more accessable.

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
I think that Tiger might have a big focus on improving the applications, such as mail. there have been a lot of forum posts about the finder, but there's so much more to complain about..

I would love to see smart folders in Mail. if you've used the new outlook and gotten used to the "unread mail" folder you know what I'm talking about.

How about smart folders in the finder? All my word documents, or all my whatever type of files. Files over size X, created today, between whatever dates. Make information way more accessable.
i agree with this. i think mail should have better rules, specifically, allowing rules to run on mailboxes that is not the inbox. i've always liked the idea of auto-moving (a la pine) read messages to another folder, and having mail apply rules to that folder. that way, only new emails are in the inbox and all the others are sorted into their respective folders.

i can see how smart folders would accomplish this, in another way. a smart folder could simply show emails received in the past week and maybe unread.

meta-data! they've demonstrated that they can do it in individual apps, let's hope they expand it to the whole system.

adam

p.s. does anyone know how to add an attribute to a file in BeOS?
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by adamk:

meta-data! they've demonstrated that they can do it in individual apps, let's hope they expand it to the whole system.
To do it properly would require an entirely new file system that would handle metadata better than HFS+ does. Such as, for example, the BeOS' BFS...

p.s. does anyone know how to add an attribute to a file in BeOS?
Nope, can't remember that (too long ago now!). Let's hope that the BFS designer, who's reportedly been hired by Apple, has been developing a great new MacFS (or whatever). Please, please please!!!!!!

I want Hierarchical file typing! (eg, Mime types that the BeOS used, such as "text/plain" or "text/html"). I also want creator typing! So that files will open with the application that created them, no matter what the default application is for that file type.

opheim
Jun 8, 2004, 07:40 PM

Besides Ogg-support in iTunes and native 64-bits OSX (just to get my two wishes out of the way), what they should really focus on is printer support and cross-platform printing. This is not entirely a job for Apple to put into the operating system, but also a marketing job towards the printer manufacturers. I know of more than one graphic designer who seriously considers switching to wintendo, merely for the lack of printer support on OSX. A lot of printers don't support OSX at all, and those that do seem to have totally different ways to operate, and some are missing vital functions when connected to a Mac. For a platform that thaditonally has had its biggest supporters in the graphics industry, it's just sad to see how they seem to overlook a vital part like this.

One might argue with this being solely the job of the manufacturers, but fact remains, if Apple doesn't focus on it, neither will the printer manufacturers. Look at the mobile phone industry (which is what I do for a living), there are quite a lot of people choosing SonyEricsson phones over Nokia, for the simple reason that Apple has done such a great job supporting them in iSync and Address Book. And the syncronization is a flawless experience compared to the windows world. If Apple would have done the same job in printers, just imagine the possibilities!
Hallvard Opheim
Dual 2GHz G5, 9800Pro, 2.5GB, BT, iSight
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 03:22 AM

I'll see your printer and raise you a scanner.

How about building in SANE for scanners the way they did for CUPS and printing.

Manufacturer support for OS X Scanner drivers is much worse than for printers.
sane brought my UMAX back from the dead!

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by opheim:
Besides Ogg-support in iTunes ...
I don't know about you but I play OGGs fine in iTunes , look around a bit.

opheim
Jun 10, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by plasticmoz:
I don't know about you but I play OGGs fine in iTunes , look around a bit.
Hm... Does it _encode_ too? I haven't seen that...
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

opheim
Jun 10, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Gavin:
I'll see your printer and raise you a scanner.

How about building in SANE for scanners the way they did for CUPS and printing.

Manufacturer support for OS X Scanner drivers is much worse than for printers.
sane brought my UMAX back from the dead!
Never heard of SANE, actually, but I gather that's the scannerworlds answer to CUPS. I have the Canon 9900F scanner connected through FireWire, and that works like a charm.
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 09:30 PM

I actually made two beautiful girls scream when I held the shift button down.
What other OS can do that?
i'm a new mac user, what happens when u hold the shift down?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2004, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Tony the Tiger would be a great spokesman.
I'm partial to Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes .. slick, stylish, and FAST.. hehe

Lyra
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 03:58 AM

Hey fellers

Sorry, I went through most of the 10 pages of posts, kinda looked at the screen grab from 10.4 a bit longer than a normal human would do, but then again that is all I was fed, regarding any news on Tiger...

My question is this; Wasn't it this month that Steve-O would introduce Tiger to us? Or was it next month?

Oh and here is a part of my wish list that was sent to apple included these features that I wish could be implemented in the future OS :

Address Book : The ability to select the names (incl. address), that one wishes to have a print out of, with different layouts.

See I usually have to slavishly write down each persons home address etc, when I want to send them post cards from abroad. This was by clicking on the info you wish to be included in a well organized print out, all you have to do is selecting the people you wish to send post cards to... Call it a Print out of selected contacts.

Thanks...
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 05:59 AM

Originally posted by Lyra:
Oh and here is a part of my wish list that was sent to apple included these features that I wish could be implemented in the future OS :

Address Book : The ability to select the names (incl. address), that one wishes to have a print out of, with different layouts.

See I usually have to slavishly write down each persons home address etc, when I want to send them post cards from abroad. This was by clicking on the info you wish to be included in a well organized print out, all you have to do is selecting the people you wish to send post cards to... Call it a Print out of selected contacts.

Thanks...

Address Book can already print out a list of selected contacts. Just set up a new group of your selected contacts, select the group, go to Print and use the appropriate style (list or labels).

You can even pre-print mailing labels for your postcards, so you don't ever have to copy out another address again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2004, 07:29 AM

Nope.

It will not encode, and ID tags apparently aren't retained when you move files to a different drive, and .ogg is not supported by the iPod.

I used to not care much, but I've taken to avoiding OGG. And frankly, I just don't see the point.

-s*

Lyra
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2004, 09:53 AM

Address Book can already print out a list of selected contacts. Just set up a new group of your selected contacts, select the group, go to Print and use the appropriate style (list or labels).

You can even pre-print mailing labels for your postcards, so you don't ever have to copy out another address again.
eehhh he he he... Sorry I must have missed that... But thanks for the tip... Boy do I feel like a puts now...

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Usual Suspects
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 10:44 AM

I'm partial to Hobbes from Calvin and Hobbes .. slick, stylish, and FAST.. hehe
Hobbes: Well, being a tiger is more than just stripes, you realize.

Calvin: Kind of a zen thing, huh?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 12:09 PM

Who cares? Why use OGG and not just M4A?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
i'm a new mac user, what happens when u hold the shift down?
I believe he means when minimizing a window while holding the Shift key it will do it in SUPA-SLOW-MOTION.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
... SUPA-SLOW-MOTION ...
So that's it's official name. I was always wondering. :-P

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:29 PM

Well, we just have to wait 1 week to see what Steve has in store for us!

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 08:34 PM

I'm surprised that we haven't gotten a DROP of info about 10.4 yet.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
Camoflage. Wise Guru say "Tiger hide gossip well in tall grass."

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2004, 08:58 PM

With 10.2, we had some limited info well in advance. Stuff about the new Disc Copy especially.

With 10.3, some info about Expose and what not was released just a few days before the keynote.

With 10.4, I'd expect the rumor sites to put up something in the coming days.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 10:01 PM

Apples World Wide Developers Conference is scheduled for next week (Monday to Friday). Apple has already promised a sneak preview of 10.4 Tiger to attendees of the WWDC. So expect some actual real information starting as of Monday.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 10:18 PM

Is the keynote at 10:00 AM PST or EST?

Peabo
Senior User
Jun 21, 2004, 10:35 PM

Not to mention immediate torrents of the DP
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
Not to mention immediate torrents of the DP
Speaking of which, ARD 2 is already making the rounds, lol.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 01:12 AM

Is the keynote at 10:00 AM PST or EST?
Look it up on Apple's WWDC 2004 website: HERE

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 04:12 AM

Speaking of which, ARD 2 is already making the rounds, lol.
The new icon is lovely.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 07:38 AM

The new icon is lovely.
Pic?

It's so small on the screenshot on Apple's site I can hardly see it.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2004, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Pic?

It's so small on the screenshot on Apple's site I can hardly see it.
http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/software/04ard.html

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2004, 11:09 AM

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/software/04ard.html
Thanks, but I already saw those. I was wondering about the icon...

booboo
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2004, 01:38 PM

Yes it's me, and I won't let it lie.

I don't want to learn multiple 'virtual' file systems, I want the Finder to take back responsibility for file hierarchy in the iApp's.

The practical result of this is that Photoshop would see the same file hierarchy as iPhoto would see the same file hierarchy as the Finer as every other app on OSX, Audion would see the same file structure as iTunes and every other app on OS X . . . and so on.

Of course, for this to work properly, the Finder would have to be given some of the iApp's functionality.

Of course, to the casual iUser, the iApp's functionality wouldn't appear any different, but the 'pro' user who isn't happy confining themselves to just the iApp's, or to learn multiple 'virtual' file systems, problem solved.

I believe that someone over at ArsTechnica is also very vocal on this, and suggests a plug-in facility for the Finder. Great idea. An extensible Finder.

And of course we're talking metadata.

The other thing I really want (again) is a divorce for the two split-personalities that is the OS X Finder.

� Give me the (brushed-metal) file-browser as a separate app. Let me decide whether it or a 'spatial-view' (aqua) window is called from 'Command-N' and let that be a User Preference.

� Let the two views be forever non-transmutable.

� Give me the toolbar back on Aqua windows, and confine the right-hand widget to a toolbar-toggle rather than a confusing kludge of a combined mode-switch/toolbar show button.

� While we're ay it, how about a User Preference to toggle Option-double click behaviour in Aqua windows.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by booboo:
The other thing I really want (again) is a divorce for the two split-personalities that is the OS X Finder.

� Give me the (brushed-metal) file-browser as a separate app. Let me decide whether it or a 'spatial-view' (aqua) window is called from 'Command-N' and let that be a User Preference.

� Let the two views be forever non-transmutable.

� Give me the toolbar back on Aqua windows, and confine the right-hand widget to a toolbar-toggle rather than a confusing kludge of a combined mode-switch/toolbar show button.

� While we're ay it, how about a User Preference to toggle Option-double click behaviour in Aqua windows.
I don't think splitting the Finder into two separate applications just to separate the two types of views is necessary (or practical). I agree that the two views should not be transmutable in the way the are now (at least not if "transmutable" means what I think it means). There is no reason why the one Finder application couldn't separate the two views perfectly well on it's own. I do agree that they should be separated, and I hope that a future version of the Finder will do so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules