Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes' share can only work when wireless is available?

iTunes' share can only work when wireless is available?
novocain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 05:16 PM

when the wireless network is not availabe, i cannot see the shared music even though the computer is connected to the internet. is there something wrong with the configuration? or itunes' share can only work under wireless network

thank you!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:24 PM

Are your computers on the same network connection with the same subnet mask? (check network in system preference and your internet connection to verify the subnet mask)

novocain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 05:35 PM

we all use the school's internet....the subnet mask should all be 255.255.255.0

in fact, i don't use the wireless to connect to the internet, but i have to keep it turned on and connected to some network if i want the shared music....confused

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:40 PM

at my college all the dorms have their own subnet mask like mine is 255.255.254.0 and others differ. last year wasn't the case, when the whole school wasn't broken up like this and at record there were 226 shared libraries at one time.

novocain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 05:41 PM

i found out the problem
all i need to do is to restart iTunes.....
i think maybe it's because i firstly connected the internet with wireless net, and then changed to wired net, but iTunes didn' know.....

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:44 PM

Glad to hear it's not too much of a problem. it kind of sucks only have one or two people sharing music at any given time here. I'm hoping the tech guys get a work around going.

novocain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
at my college all the dorms have their own subnet mask like mine is 255.255.254.0 and others differ. last year wasn't the case, when the whole school wasn't broken up like this and at record there were 226 shared libraries at one time.
the music can only be shared when the subnet mask is the same? how about wireless network? then someone has an airless port and others can connect to that wireless network.

i just have less than 10 shared libraries, it's already great
226 shared libaries...so happy....

Truepop
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 05:52 PM

here is the doc that says only in the same subnet

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=150353

and it depends on your wireless network. the wireless router will determine the subnet.

the 226 is windows users too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules