Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vonage Referrals..

Vonage Referrals..
runningduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 10:06 PM

I currently use Vonage and its been pretty good thus far. I was wondering if anyone interested in trying it out would like to be refered by me (or another member). You get 1 free month of service out of it and the "referer" gets 2 free months out of it. While this does seem somewhat self serving on my part; you do get a free month out of it. Any takers? Also, if you have any questions about the service I would be more then happy to help as well.
( Last edited by runningduck; Jan 15, 2005 at 10:16 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 10:20 PM

-t

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:

-t

velodev
Senior User
Jan 15, 2005, 11:20 PM

2nd on the Vonage service. However, I do think soliciting referral codes is pretty awkward.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2005, 12:36 AM

Don't let this deal fall in the hands of a Windows Luser!

brentsax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by runningduck:
I currently use Vonage and its been pretty good thus far. I was wondering if anyone interested in trying it out would like to be refered by me (or another member). You get 1 free month of service out of it and the "referer" gets 2 free months out of it. While this does seem somewhat self serving on my part; you do get a free month out of it. Any takers? Also, if you have any questions about the service I would be more then happy to help as well.
HEY - HOOK ME UP (SENT YOU AN EMAIL TOO). [email protected]

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 6, 2005, 04:37 PM

I dropped Vonage last month. Too many clipped calls and dropouts. It wasn't my ISP because I have great sustained high speed downloads.

The main reason I dropped it was because my TiVo would work with it.

I think the VOIP services need to mature a bit before they are acceptable.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
I dropped Vonage last month. Too many clipped calls and dropouts. It wasn't my ISP because I have great sustained high speed downloads.
I haven't had any problems since I had it (Dec. 04).
Even on calls to Europe.

-t

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:29 AM

I think the VOIP services need to mature a bit before they are acceptable.
I'm still going to say that it was your ISP. There are lots of issues besides speed that can affect voice quality for a VoIP phone. Latency, network configuration, and QoS settings are just a few.

I've had a Vonage line since October 2004 and have had no problems with it. I transferred my number from SBC earlier this month. The process went smoothly - it took about three weeks from the time I faxed in the paperwork to the time the transfer was completed.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 01:46 PM

I will have to agree with the people above, your ISP is probably to blame for this.

I have never had a problem with vonage (besides the first month of setup troubles)
My DirecTiVo makes daily calls nightly on the service as well.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 7, 2005, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by zerostar:
I will have to agree with the people above, your ISP is probably to blame for this.

I have never had a problem with vonage (besides the first month of setup troubles)
My DirecTiVo makes daily calls nightly on the service as well.
You are the first person I have ever heard to get TiVo to dial up successfull regularly with a VOIP. And there is a lot of discussion on various TiVo boards complaining about this. Even Vonage has a FAQ related to this. Read here. Maybe you should contact Vonage and help them out.

I have a 3MB highly reliable connection. I have a friend with a Verizon T-3 and he has problems with his TiVo and VIOP. He has tried Vioce Pluse and Vonage. It's not my ISP or his. It's VIOP. The bugs just simply haven't been worked out. Maybe in a few years, but not yet. Go on being a cheerleader for them though. They love the referrals.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 10:43 PM

So.... what do you do if you have to call 911 in an emergency? Does Vonage support 911 coverage?
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 10:47 PM

You are the first person I have ever heard to get TiVo to dial up successfull regularly with a VOIP. And there is a lot of discussion on various TiVo boards complaining about this. Even Vonage has a FAQ related to this. Read here. Maybe you should contact Vonage and help them out.
I've had no problems with modems on my Vonage line. Have you tried dialing *99 (on the Motorola TA) before the number? This helps.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by rhansen_x:
So.... what do you do if you have to call 911 in an emergency? Does Vonage support 911 coverage?
Vonage offers limited 911 service. When you dial 911, you will be connected to the local PSAP, but not to the same system as a traditional E911 call.

Packet8 (http://www.packet8.net) and Speakeasy (http://www.speakeasy.net) are the only two nationwide VoIP providers currently offering E911 service.

velodev
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 10:54 PM

I have a 3MB highly reliable connection. I have a friend with a Verizon T-3 and he has problems with his TiVo and VIOP. He has tried Vioce Pluse and Vonage. It's not my ISP or his. It's VIOP. The bugs just simply haven't been worked out. Maybe in a few years, but not yet. Go on being a cheerleader for them though. They love the referrals.
My TiVo calls up without any issues. Of course, I did my research before switching and found that a reverse DSL filter and switching into data mode ensures a smooth dial up. Sorry Vonage and the forum boards didn't find the same resource I did...

I've had Vonage since April of 04. Even when downloading 4 streams of 90kb/sec on newsgroups... I get no dropped calls. I will admit that sometimes it chops up but if I kill one stream, we are back onto a crystal clear call. Never had one VoIP issue. I have had customer service issues, and I think that is because Vonage is doing a poor job of training them.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 11:22 PM

You are the first person I have ever heard to get TiVo to dial up successfull regularly with a VOIP.
From the Vonage Page: Many Vonage customers have successfully setup DirecTV and TiVo series2 connections through the Vonage Phone Adapter.

Look here are some other "success" stories...

Fromt he http://www.tivocommunity.com/ Forums

"I am successfully using Vonage for both my DSR6000 and my HDVR2. I'm making daily TiVo calls from both, as well as the DirecTV calls so I can order PPV via remote, and subscribe to Sports."

"The 212 area code works for me. I had not made a call in over 100 days. Tried 212 tonight after reading a post here and it works fine." "With Vonage, there's no "long distance", so it doesn't matter where you call in the US."

"I just made a sucessful call and i did not have to adjust the vonage at all...."

So now I am not the only one, sometimes it is a pain, but some have got it to work, not just me.

I have a 3MB highly reliable connection. I have a friend with a Verizon T-3 and he has problems with his TiVo and VIOP. He has tried Vioce Pluse and Vonage.
What series TiVo is he running? I have heard of plenty of DTiVo series 2 hooked up with no problem, check tivocommunity for various discussions.

AFAIK it is a problem with the TiVo server not accepting the connection, some number do, some don't luck of the draw.

Anyway, you can also hook the TiVo up to get the updates over your broadband as well.

Go on being a cheerleader for them though.
Go on complaining about a good service that works GREAT for some people because:
A) You can't figure out how to hook your TiVo up.
B) You think because your connection is 3MB "highly reliable" no other problems could be involved.
( Last edited by zerostar; Feb 7, 2005 at 11:31 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules