Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > How Much?

How Much?
Thread Tools
ReardenMetal
Baninated
Join Date: Aug 2007
Status: Offline
Aug 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
 
How much do I have to donate, to become 'unbannable'? Just wondering. I'm sick of spending 1.5 minutes registering a new name, everytime Lateralas disagrees with me, or other such nonsense.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Aug 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
 
Well you could take the hint and stay banned.

Or an even crazier idea and abide by the rules, nah that's just too off the wall, never mind
     
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2000
Status: Offline
Aug 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
 
     
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cooperstown '09
Status: Offline
Aug 10, 2007, 11:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by bradoesch View Post
w00t!
     
flyordiedays
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 12:45 AM
 
I find the Atlas Shrugged reference to be wildly ironic, considering that Rearden walked away from the general public when they didn't agree with him, rather than persisting in his efforts to be accepted on his terms.

/nerd.
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 04:49 AM
 
Rumor (sic!) has it that each mod/admin has a piggy bank: for each ban of one of Cash's nicks, we get a penny. Once a mod/admin has enough money to upgrade his Bentley or get a new wing for his house in the Hamptons, he retires.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 11, 2007 at 03:09 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
 
So has anyone got a Bentley on order?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 10:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by ReardenMetal View Post
How much do I have to donate, to become 'unbannable'? Just wondering. I'm sick of spending 1.5 minutes registering a new name, everytime Lateralas disagrees with me, or other such nonsense.
1 BILLION dollars. They'd even let you moderate and ban all those you hate.

Basically the forum would be empty.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
So has anyone got a Bentley on order?
All of them do, since Ca$h seems to be on a weekly, if not daily banning

I think tookie ca$hed in his savings <- pun intended and retired in bahamas and everyone thought he got a new job, nope its the Ca$h banning retirement plan
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 12:03 PM
 
My only question is this: What about the hamster®?
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
 
I am sure he wishes Rob would respect the bans too.
     
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 01:31 PM
 
He's on a roll this time - usually it's just one or two times before going back to acting normally.
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 01:44 PM
 
Jeez, why won't this guy just go away and not return ...
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 02:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by ReardenMetal View Post
...Lateralas...
Such a long history between us. And you still can't spell my handle correctly. I'm hurt.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 02:21 PM
 
Rob is such an interesting guy to me. At times he seems to be a well-reasoned dude, especially when it comes to debate about things he cares about (e.g. cars, religion, etc.). In other words, his arguments mostly center around attempts at logic.

Yet, when it comes to trying to explain to him what he is doing here that is distasteful to so many, that he is not entitled to post here, that he is a spaz, etc. you just can't get through to him using logic.

So, I guess he is logical, but only up to a point. Once this point has been crossed, you might as well try to have a debate about the meaning of life with a 4 year old, it would be just as productive.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 02:22 PM
 
The one good thing about Rob's counter-productive threads is that it provides me with new opportunities to try to peddle my stool samples...

Maybe my next technique should be sharing testimonials from scientists.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 02:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Such a long history between us. And you still can't spell my handle correctly. I'm hurt.
Don't feel bad, my uncle put my name down as "Michelle" once on a birthday check instead of "Mitchell".
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 02:40 PM
 
I think if you just left him be and people didn't reward his negative behavior with attention, he'd soon start to act better. That or move on.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Jeez, why won't this guy just go away and not return ...
New here?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Aug 11, 2007, 10:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Don't feel bad, my uncle put my name down as "Michelle" once on a birthday check instead of "Mitchell".
I hope it was a big check.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 07:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Rob is such an interesting guy to me. At times he seems to be a well-reasoned dude, especially when it comes to debate about things he cares about (e.g. cars, religion, etc.).
Besson, you must be on the wrong boards. Those thing you claim he "cares" about is what usually gets him banned. He doesn't use "Logic" at all. And when he gets debunked he throws tantrums. I wouldn't call that well reasoned. It's well known not to mention certain things around Rob else he spaz out. Cars, and religion is a few of them. You probably missed his gay bashathons earlier when he was a bit younger too. Thats actually what got him started being banned.
Yet, when it comes to trying to explain to him what he is doing here that is distasteful to so many, that he is not entitled to post here, that he is a spaz, etc. you just can't get through to him using logic.
No it's his "Logic" that causes him to spaz out like that. The same "logic" he has about religion. He has proved time and time again the only thing he knows about religion is what he has read from anti-Christian zealots that fill web pages full of FUD.

Now, being that you support most of Rob's beliefs about religion, it is no surprise to me that you think he is being logical.

Pulling FUD off web pages, treating them as fact, and going "LA LALAL" I can't hear you isn't logical at all.

It's his COMPLETE disrespect of anyone that doesn't share the same beliefs that he does that gets him in trouble.

Actually lots of people in here do this, but not all go to the bizarro extreme Rob has.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 08:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pulling FUD off web pages, treating them as fact, and going "LA LALAL" I can't hear you isn't logical at all.
Agreed. Like that epic 16th chapel conversation a while back. I mean, that was just ridiculous.
     
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: eating kernel
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
 
Psychopath

Psychopathy is currently defined in psychiatry and clinical psychology as a condition characterized by lack of empathy or conscience, and poor impulse control or manipulative behaviors.
Sounds like Rob to me.
to besson, Kevin, and mods, don't takes this as me calling Rob a psychopath, more of "matter-of-factly"
Signature depreciated.
     
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: eating kernel
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 08:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Agreed. Like that epic 16th chapel conversation a while back. I mean, that was just ridiculous.
Even then people posted cat pictures in threads (reference to page 4, if you don't get it)
Signature depreciated.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Agreed. Like that epic 16th chapel conversation a while back. I mean, that was just ridiculous.
But seriously. I don't mind you guys posting that link. I might even put it in my sig.

Reading through it again goes to show just how big of jerks some people in here are. Pretty much MacNN at it's worst. People ganging up on people and making a big deal out of nothing just because they hate themselves. (<-- projection, but seems to be pretty accurate as to anyone that would attack someone so venomously that they can't be happy with their own life)

Last time analog posted it someone msg'd me and was flabbergasted as to why analog would think it made me look bad when it was him and others that were acting hateful and bullish.

And by "awhile back" You mean "Years and years ago, but I still have it bookmarked because I have a chip on my shoulder"

So tell me Mastrap. What have I done to you specifically to make you hate me so much?

I'd love to know. Maybe we can work things out so that most of the people who don't care about this crap in this forum wont have to weed through it at least once a month.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 12, 2007 at 10:00 AM. )
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 10:44 AM
 
Kevin, I don't hate you. At all. I am amused, but that's as far as it goes.

See, most of the time I don't even read what you're posting. I do that so you and me don't get into some silly shouting match. I know that I will probably disagree with most everything you're posting so I normally leave it at that and just move on. On this particular occasion I was just amused that you're accusing Rob of things you're frequently doing yourself. Think of it as me holding up a mirror to you. What you do with it is up to you. You can get into all sort of projections (like, me 'hating' you) or you could just grin and see the connection. Maybe learn from it. But that's up to you of course.

And I haven't got it bookmarked. A quick search for '16th chapel' does the trick just fine. Because, you know, it was a pretty unique thread.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Kevin, I don't hate you. At all. I am amused, but that's as far as it goes.
A simple "amusement" wouldn't cause someone to keep a link (Or search for it) to something that happened years ago only to bring it up constantly Mastrap. I will see a nice looking car, and it will amuse me, and I will take a look at it, and move on. I doubt I'd even mention it to anyone. Now, if I really really liked the car, and it was more than an amusement I'd be bringing it up in threads that it simply did not belong in.
See, most of the time I don't even read what you're posting. I do that so you and me don't get into some silly shouting match.
Well I am glad you are attempting to show some restraint. In that, I applaud. BTW I am not a shouter, or a yeller. I had GF that broken up with me once simply because she was, and I wouldn't "yell back" and that got to her cause she couldn't get me mad at her. It's hard to judge emotions or intent on the internet unless you really know someone. But most of the time such judgments come from preconceived notions that may or may not have anything to do with the truth.

Take for instance Doofy. He recently started msg'ing me on AIM about guitars and stuff.He said he had NO idea I was so "chill" that they way certain people talk about me in here he'd have though I was a bit more over the top. This isn't the case however. I assure you. When I am in a bad mood, or I don't feel good I am usually laying down and reading a book, or watching a good movie. It's part of the reason I haven't been banned in over 2 years.
I know that I will probably disagree with most everything you're posting so I normally leave it at that and just move on.
And this is what I am talking about when I refer to preconceived notions. I remember many times agreeing with you and your posts. But I don't dislike Mastrap. So I'd have no reason to ignore his posts. I think maybe you have me pegged to be something I simply am not. Not that I am any angel, I am not. No one is. But I've certainly not done anything to you for you to always come down on me the way you do.
On this particular occasion I was just amused that you're accusing Rob of things you're frequently doing yourself.
Care to show an example? I am not saying I haven't done things before that Rob has. As a matter of fact I even admitted to acting like Rob a few years back at one point, and how it was wrong. But the past two years I've not done any such thing. So your frequently comment is off base. Else I'd be banned just like Rob is/was/. So your comparison is a bit off. And all but ONE TIME have I not respected my bans when I've gotten them. And that one time I have no justification for doing so. And I was in the wrong. There is also a big difference between me and Rob. Rob blames others for his wrong-doings. I usually take responsibilities for my actions (No one is perfect)
Think of it as me holding up a mirror to you. What you do with it is up to you. You can get into all sort of projections (like, me 'hating' you) or you could just grin and see the connection. Maybe learn from it. But that's up to you of course.
There is nothing you've said that I haven't already about myself Mastrap. Well except for the exaggerations. And that last bit you said wreaked of pretension. That still doesn't explain the hateful nature in which people acted in that thread you posted. Which was locked because of the hatefulness that was going on. That thread doesn't make me look bad so much as it makes others look worse. So like I said, go ahead an post it. It's just garnering me support. You've also exaggerated my "hate" towards Rob when I hold no such feelings about him. If your rant was so just you'd not have to revert to such shenanigans.
And I haven't got it bookmarked. A quick search for '16th chapel' does the trick just fine. Because, you know, it was a pretty unique thread.
Unique? Not at all. It was just your typical bully thread were a handful of people gang up on one person because they have chips on their shoulders. Over a freakin misspelling or grammar incident even. That happens daily in this forum. And for some reason people keep msging me as if I can do something about it. I can't. I suggest people msg a moderator or admin from now on. As I'll probably turn off my pvt msgs.

I also wonder why, take besson, who sometimes has a bit of Rob in him (But more passive-aggressive) and berates him all the time, doesn't get any flack from you about such actions.

Why haven't I seen you showing him said mirror? To me it tells me this goes beyond just me and Rob's relationship. As people have said worse things about him, and act worse than I do, and you've said nothing to them.

My advice for you? Start with the man in the mirror you look at. Make that change.

I am ALL FOR Rob making it. I'd even get my pom poms out if he did. And that goes for EVERYONE in here. Not just Rob. Not just those that attempt to launch lame ad-hominem attacks on me in the middle of a thread. BUT EVERYONE.
( Last edited by Kevin; Aug 12, 2007 at 11:21 AM. )
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
 
And to be honest, there are those who bait Rob into being banninated. They're even worse, in my view, since they have the choice not to act that way.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
A simple "amusement" wouldn't cause someone to keep a link (Or search for it)
That might be true for you, it is not true for me. So, stop projecting your own reactions onto me. This was one of the most memorable threads in any forum, ever, as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pulling FUD off web pages, treating them as fact, and going "LA LALAL" I can't hear you isn't logical at all.
See, the above quote was the one I was referring to, especially the LALALA part. If you read the 16th chapel thread again you'll see that this exactly what you yourself was doing. Thus, the mirror analogy. As I suspected you chose to ignore what I was actually saying and started projecting what I might have said or how I should feel according to you instead. Another reason why we don't talk much - I find that kind of behaviour tiring.

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Unique? Not at all. It was just your typical bully thread were a handful of people gang up on one person because they have chips on their shoulders. Over a freakin misspelling or grammar incident even. That happens daily in this forum. And for some reason people keep msging me as if I can do something about it. I can't. I suggest people msg a moderator or admin from now on. As I'll probably turn off my pvt msgs.
Oh no. Nonononono. Let's stick to the truth here. This was not a misspelling, this was not a grammar incident. This was not the bullies (bullies, what bullies) vs. poor ol' Zimphire/Kevin. This was you, in the face of all the evidence, trying to convince the forum that the Sistine Chapel was indeed called the 16th chapel. And it backfired, as it had to. As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions but you're not entitled to your own facts.

I grant you that this was in a time when your posts were... how can I say this kindly... stranger than they are today. Let's just say that it was hard for me to take anything you posted seriously at that time and that as a result I normally don't get involved with any of your posts. A state to which I shall now return. And I promise you that I'll let the 16th chapel rest in peace from now on.

Take care, have a nice Sunday and be assured that I actually mean that.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Aug 12, 2007 at 11:48 AM. )
     
OreoCookie
Moderator
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hilbert space
Status: Offline
Aug 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
 
Please, we don't need anymore drama here. Closing … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,