Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3D animation software for the Mac?

3D animation software for the Mac?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 01:31 PM

What are the free/cheap good 3D modelling and animation applications for the Mac? I used 3D Studio max almost 10 years ago in university, and havent done any 3D animation stuff since, and was looking to get back into it.

I'd prefer somethign with a UI similar to 3DSM, but am willing to learn something new.

I checked on getting 3D Studio Max but the price is prohibitive. This is just for a personal hobby.

Cheers

demani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2013, 04:30 PM

Blender is your friend.

blender.org - Home of the Blender project - Free and Open 3D Creation Software

That's going to do an awful lot of what you want.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2013, 12:34 PM

If you have an eligibility for student status, Autodesk has most of their products available for a free temporary license. I checked Maya 2014 and it was a three year license. I'm not sure of the requirements, but if it applies to your situation or you can find a 'student' to help you out these are compelling offers.

Blender is one of the only totally free (opensource) 3d softwares for the bulk of the animation processes.

It has come a long way, although has its own idiosyncrasies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules