Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Noooo! Airport nightmare

Noooo! Airport nightmare
tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 06:18 PM

Hey,
I just came back on a trip from Hawaii and it was great! Except for one part, the TCA People scrateched my 12in Powerbook G4! There are some scratches on the allumnimum body (bottom part of the case). Now to get it off???
This is how it happened. I put my computer on the sleeve when I had to put it in the buckets. (all the airport i've been said it was ok to put it on the sleeve) Then this man gets out another bucket and throws my computer into it! When I mean throw, he really throws it. I'm very pissed off. I've had this PB for 3 months, and never scrached it, from all the airports, airplanes, classes, and places, and today, this person had to do that!

But anyways, Is there any way to get these scratches off?

Thanks, Paul

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 06:31 PM

I hope everyone learns a lesson from this:

WATCH THOSE SCREENING PEOPLE AND WHAT THEY DO AND *TELL* THEM TO BE CAREFUL.

If they DO scratch your computer (or damage it) then you need to file a complaint. Get the name of the person who did it and log a complaint.

That is terrible. Sorry to hear it, guy.

I don't think there's anything you can do, unfortunately. Scratched is scratched.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2003, 08:18 PM

Heh, this thread was right under one called "wireless hell" so I completely misunderstood what the topic was about.

I'm going to be going home to the US soon, and I guess I will have to face this as well. It may be worse as I think I will be bringing two powerbooks with me...

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I hope everyone learns a lesson from this:

WATCH THOSE SCREENING PEOPLE AND WHAT THEY DO AND *TELL* THEM TO BE CAREFUL.

If they DO scratch your computer (or damage it) then you need to file a complaint. Get the name of the person who did it and log a complaint.

That is terrible. Sorry to hear it, guy.

I don't think there's anything you can do, unfortunately. Scratched is scratched.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. How should I write to them? or make a complaint? Thank you

Karim
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 11:17 PM

Here is some info on the TSA complaint line from a google search: .. Give 'em hell!

It can take from 24 hours to two weeks to resolve a complaint, depending on its complexity. The complaints are logged and travelers are sent letters informing them that the administration is investigating. Copies of the letters are sent to the legal department and the heads of security at airports where the incidents in question occurred.

Not all callers complain. Some praise polite, quick and thorough screeners. One traveler who flew out of Washington's Dulles International Airport in November wrote that he expected his trip to be "horrible," but instead it turned out to be a "wonderful experience."

The center can be reached at 1-866-289-9673 from within the United States or at 1-202-385-1900 from any phone. The e-mail address is http://www.tsa.dot.gov. The office is open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. It is open on holidays.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
Here is some info on the TSA complaint line from a google search: .. Give 'em hell!

It can take from 24 hours to two weeks to resolve a complaint, depending on its complexity. The complaints are logged and travelers are sent letters informing them that the administration is investigating. Copies of the letters are sent to the legal department and the heads of security at airports where the incidents in question occurred.

Not all callers complain. Some praise polite, quick and thorough screeners. One traveler who flew out of Washington's Dulles International Airport in November wrote that he expected his trip to be "horrible," but instead it turned out to be a "wonderful experience."

The center can be reached at 1-866-289-9673 from within the United States or at 1-202-385-1900 from any phone. The e-mail address is http://www.tsa.dot.gov. The office is open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. It is open on holidays.
Thank you very much for the number. Just wondering, will they accept a phone call from a 15 year old? Or Do you think my parents should call? Thanks

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 01:12 AM

Get your parents to call. Or, should you prefer to handle this yourself, don't tell them about your age. But remember you being young does not give them the right not to take your complaint seriously.

You, unfortunately, made a mistake by not lodging the complaint there and when as you had witnesses but that can happen to all of us.
I do hope they'll get the PB fixed. I always, always, always put mine through x-ray in a sleeve. Never let an official touch it if at all possible.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 02:20 AM

Tungtied07, were you flying through MCI (Kansas City Int'l.) when this happened? I've had the absolute worst service/luck/experience with that airport? Things run more smoothly in friggin' Biloxi, Mississippi.

I'd be irate, too. Good luck getting it resolved!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Tungtied07, were you flying through MCI (Kansas City Int'l.) when this happened? I've had the absolute worst service/luck/experience with that airport? Things run more smoothly in friggin' Biloxi, Mississippi.

I'd be irate, too. Good luck getting it resolved!
Yeah, it happened in Kauai Airport. But i've decided to live with it.. What do you all think?... Thanks!

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 02:51 AM

oh yeah... Thank you everyone for helping me and telling me links where to go!! I appricate it! But do you think I did the right thing? Its just a scratch, i looked at the damage form and its long.. not worthwhile??? thanks

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
But i've decided to live with it.. What do you all think?... Thanks!
Why do you want to live with it? This guy damaged your property.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 03:41 AM

Think of it this way. If you bring it to their attention you may be saving one of us in the future from getting our Powerbooks dinged up by that guy or another.

And just maybe you can get some compensation for the hassle.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:32 AM

Yes, please complain here so we all read it and then do nothing. That sounds like an excellent plan.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 10:30 AM

okay then. I'll contact them today and tell them. I'll keep ya all updated. Thanks!

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
oh yeah... Thank you everyone for helping me and telling me links where to go!! I appricate it! But do you think I did the right thing? Its just a scratch, i looked at the damage form and its long.. not worthwhile??? thanks
That is exactly the point of a LOOOOOOOOOOONG complaint form. So you give up and not bother with it. Kind of like getting those rebates. Make a copy of this a nd that , and pull this part of the box off... They are hoping that you get suckered in by the rebate and then not "waste" your time filling out those forms and such. The idiot damaged your property because of his stupidity and lack of professionalism. Had he done so by accident it would be a different story, but he did not. Had he done it out of neccessity like shoving itr out of the way to throw himself on a grenade or something it would be different. However, he did for no other reason than stupidity and lack of caring about anything other than his fat, lazy, uneducated, I cant get a real job a$$.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by TAZ:
.... Had he done it out of neccessity like shoving itr out of the way to throw himself on a grenade or something it would be different. However, he did for no other reason than stupidity and lack of caring about anything other than his fat, lazy, uneducated, I cant get a real job a$$.
Now I wouldn't mind him banging up my Powerbook if he really did need to jump on a grenade

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2003, 03:26 PM

As much as I feel for 'ya, you're never going to be able to prove he did it. Suppose you do happen to have his name and badge number, they're gonna ask him and he'll say, "ah, no, don't remember." Or "was like that when it came through."

And if you don't have, at least, his name, how are you gonna get any satisfaction? "Some guy at the Kahana Lahana Wahalaho airport smashed my powerbook." Ah... yeah.

I had some whacky broad from the TSA try to steal my cigar lighter (nice & $$$) and I raised all sorts of hell right there at the security checkpoint and made her get her boss. (Long story - I posted here a few weeks ago about it if you'd like the details...)

I should have gotten her name and badge number and all that - but I didn't. Go figure.

:->

daniel999
Jun 10, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Get your parents to call. Or, should you prefer to handle this yourself, don't tell them about your age. But remember you being young does not give them the right not to take your complaint seriously.

You, unfortunately, made a mistake by not lodging the complaint there and when as you had witnesses but that can happen to all of us.
I do hope they'll get the PB fixed. I always, always, always put mine through x-ray in a sleeve. Never let an official touch it if at all possible.
Are there any problems putting the laptop through a X- ray machine?? Will the X- ray affect the hardware e.g. HDD, somehow??

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 05:23 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Yup, I called, they wanted the person who did that and I did not know. They said I won't get anywhere without his name.
Guess what, I found out my PB lost 2 feet, one on battery, one on the caseing.
Called Apple they said they would replace the feet, but I have to send it in. I'm guessing they will replace the bottom cover where the TCA people scratched it!
But,
Will they replace the bottom cover? Will they also replace the battery?

and:
I don't think X-ray machines damage laptops, we used to be able to put the laptops through the machines...

Thanks,

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 06:04 PM

So the 12" is just as liable to scratch as a Ti then?

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 11:58 PM

So the 12" is just as liable to scratch as a Ti then?
Dude, anything will scratch if you abuse it enough. Read what happened to the laptop.

-- Jason

PS I have a scratched Pismo

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
Dude, anything will scratch if you abuse it enough. Read what happened to the laptop.

-- Jason

PS I have a scratched Pismo
Yup, It will scratch if you actually toss the laptop into the bucket, like the TCA did!
Over all, its pretty scratch proof I've used it at school, in the car, parks, my room, etc... and did not scrach it until that TCA PERSON tossed it!!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 12:52 AM

why did you take it out?
can't you just put it in your carry-on and pass it through the x-ray machine??

and yea, i've had those before. they just throw my things around.
Ryan

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by TAZ:
However, he did for no other reason than stupidity and lack of caring about anything other than his fat, lazy, uneducated, I cant get a real job a$$.
And what exactly do you do for a living?

There are jackasses in every profession, but to trash the guy's job and therefore the job of every other TSA employee is just lame.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
why did you take it out?
can't you just put it in your carry-on and pass it through the x-ray machine??

and yea, i've had those before. they just throw my things around.
As far as I can remember at least a year ago they (TSA) have required all laptops to be pulled from your carryon and scanned seperately. They have tubs to put them in.

I make sure to take mine out and put it in the tub and then hold on to it until it is time for it to go through the machine. Nobody is going to touch it or throw it.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2003, 10:32 AM

saw the new 12" and 17" yesterday and looked equally susceptible to scratches as the titanium. I would sue the airport if i were you, they should pay for a replacement/repairs. It doesnt matter what security measures are in place, it does not give them a licence to damage your property. Duty of care and all that. Its not like you have a choice of whether to scan your PB or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules