Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail Messages to Mac -> PC :(

Mail Messages to Mac -> PC :(
tungtied07
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2005, 10:58 AM

Hi everyone,
I have to switch back to the Windows platform. The functions I needed on a Windows computer; Media Center Capabilities, Gaming, and some apps that do not work on the Mac.
Luckily, Apple made iTunes for Windows, otherwise I would go crazy.

However:
How do I import Apple Mail.app messages, settings, and folders to the PC? (Outlook 2003)

Its sad, but true. I've been a Mac user forever, but the switch was necessary. Good bye, Apple for now....

Thanks again, and please do not FLAME
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

strokemouth
Oct 15, 2005, 11:08 AM

Why do you need to get rid of the Mac? Just get a cheap box that accomplishes the tasks you need on the PC.

As for importing messages into Outlook, I'm curious to see if it can be done as well. Never heard of anyone wanting to go to Outlook.
15" PB/1.5 GHz/1.25GB RAM
40GB iPod Photo

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2005, 11:20 AM

My powerbook will actually go to my sister because her "PC" ironically died. My sister has been using the iMac G4 until it broke about 1 month ago and has been sitting in repair for a long time. She needs a computer.

She needs a system so i'm going to give her my laptop and I will get a "dell" Inspiron 9300: Centrino 1.7ghz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 100GB HD, Bluetooth/Wifi, DVD Burner, 17" Dell TrueLife LCD, and: nVidia GeForce 6800 256MB Graphics card. The downside is that: its a PC, and going to be heavy.
I'm looking around in google, and cannot find any solutions yet. I'm thinking of importing my messages to entourage and then drag the messages to a folder, which outlook might import later.
The laptop is still in the "boxing" phase, hopefully I will get it next week. I'll let you know what happens.

Anyways, does anyone have any other solutions?
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2005, 11:29 AM

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks! I'll try once the computer arrives.

The difference between Mac and PC users: Mac users help each other. No other PC forum yet has responded to my questions, even when users are "active" on the forum Thanks again!!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 11:46 AM

You could always get virtual PC for Mac and run XP on your powerbook when you need windows, and then just close virtual PC when you want to go back to the far superior OSX
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

Just a suggestion for your PC: Try using Thunderbird for your email instead of Outlook. Similar interface, a few nicer features, standard mailbox support (as opposed to Outlook's proprietary format), more secure, and open source.

And I assume you'd be doing this, but just in case - make sure you use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer as your default web browser!

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2005, 04:50 PM

Too bad you couldn't wait another year. Sounds like the Mactels may do everything you want.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2005, 05:32 PM

Don't forget the anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-spyware.

Ha. I wouldn't go back to a PC if you paid me. The only reason I ever use a PC is because most companies I contract with use them. But my personal computer is a Mac. Always will be.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by tungtied07
Hi everyone,
I have to switch back to the Windows platform.

*snip*

Gaming
We understand.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 12:36 AM

srry duplicate

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 12:37 AM

In a way, yeah. I don't have an xbox or PS2 or anything like that. Most of my games are in the PC platform (HL2, Madden 2005, Need For Speed, etc) and I only have 1 Mac game (UT2004)
I rather eat the price of 1 game, than my whole PC game collection. that was also a factor that influenced my decision to give my mac away. (above)
Anyways, the laptop is supposed to be delivered tomm., but I'm not too sure. Dell's half-@ssed customer service/support is a pain, but I'll have to deal with it. I got $700 off the computer, which made me happy.
Edit:
I didn't know there were other replies..I guess I missed the eMails.
1) I already tried Virtual PC, it was too slow. I need Media Center 2005. I borrowed my friend's computer and tried out operating system "enhancement". It was great, I don't have a DVR at home, and the media center software takes care of that. (TV guide, recordings, radio)
2) I'll be using Firefox and probably Thunderbird. Thanks for reminding me about Thunderbird, I forgot about that App.
3) I'd wait for the MacTel, but I'm not sure if they will let me Dual-Boot between Windows and Mac (in the future) and it might be too expensive. (laptop) (This powerbook was a free warranty replacement from a PB 12" 867mhz)
4) I'll just have to deal with the viruses and spyware. I'm lucky I got a Mac, I didn't have to worry about it. I'll sure miss the Mac and friendly support forum.....

thanks again everyone
( Last edited by tungtied07; Oct 18, 2005 at 12:43 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules