Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Google Nexus One Unveiled

Google Nexus One Unveiled
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 03:47 PM

Google unveils Nexus One | Wireless - CNET News

Seems sort of ho-hum to me, but perhaps I'm missing the point. It's not carrier neutral like some people were claiming it could be. WIFI isn't even touted as far as I can tell.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2010, 03:52 PM

After all the hype, the only advantage that this has on the Droid is that it's running 2.1, which will be out anyway for the Droid. Engadget's review makes it sound worse than the Droid actually.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 04:20 PM

Is this the iPhone killaaaar ?

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2010, 04:22 PM

The overwhelming response to this thread really says it all.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 04:53 PM

Here's the official site:

Nexus One Phone - Web meets phone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Jan 5, 2010, 05:42 PM

Gizmodo says it has 802.11n wifi.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2010, 05:46 PM

Thank you. After my initial post I found the specs on the official site.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2010, 06:23 PM

No keyboard and no multitouch seems like a poor compromise.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2010, 07:29 PM

this makes me more to hoping that a new iPhone gets announced.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2010, 07:30 PM

Anyone ordered one yet?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2010, 07:41 PM

I'll give it a look-see when it goes over to Verizon.

ph0ust
Senior User
Jan 8, 2010, 01:29 PM

i think it looks awesome. my wife is getting one shortly and moving over to t-mobile (i'm envious). the iphone is cool, but between being too locked down and slow as shit (takes 30 seconds for apps to open if i don't reboot daily) it is sort of a mediocre implementation of a great idea.

2010 will be the year of android. the number and type of devices is going to explode, as will the apps. this is exactly what apple needs- competition. apple usually makes such good products it doesn't care what others do. it needs more competition in the areas it dominates.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2010, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
the iphone is cool, but between being too locked down and slow as shit (takes 30 seconds for apps to open if i don't reboot daily) it is sort of a mediocre implementation of a great idea.
What outlandish apps are you using that would take that long to launch? I'm not an app fiend, but most of the apps I have on my touch launch quite quickly, and I'm talking about a 1G touch - the slowest iPhone OS device ever.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2010, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm talking about a 1G touch - the slowest iPhone OS device ever.
I thought the 1G iPhone was slower than the 1G iTouch.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2010, 03:51 AM

Nope. Here's one link that lists them from fastest to slowest as:

iPod touch 2nd Generation
iPhone 3G
iPhone (original)
iPod touch 1st Generation

Obviously that article was written before the 3GS, which takes the top spot, but it's well known that the original touch is the slowest.

ph0ust
Senior User
Jan 11, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What outlandish apps are you using that would take that long to launch? I'm not an app fiend, but most of the apps I have on my touch launch quite quickly, and I'm talking about a 1G touch - the slowest iPhone OS device ever.
i have 3 pages of apps total. the ones that lag the most are those crazy ones called "phone" and "messages". seriously, sometimes i press the icons a few times because the phone just sits there doing nothing for seconds and seconds, then i realize the stupid thing is trying to open and just lagging. occasionally it takes 20-30 seconds, but on average i would say it takes 5-10 seconds. i hardly put my iphone through stress, so it isn't like i am maxing out the things capabilities. i make calls, send texts/emails, check out yelp or a few other apps regularly and that is about it. lame.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2010, 04:54 PM

How many messages do you have stored? I know some people who complain about lag, but then they've never deleted any text messages since they got the phone...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
i have 3 pages of apps total. the ones that lag the most are those crazy ones called "phone" and "messages". seriously, sometimes i press the icons a few times because the phone just sits there doing nothing for seconds and seconds, then i realize the stupid thing is trying to open and just lagging. occasionally it takes 20-30 seconds, but on average i would say it takes 5-10 seconds. i hardly put my iphone through stress, so it isn't like i am maxing out the things capabilities. i make calls, send texts/emails, check out yelp or a few other apps regularly and that is about it. lame.
Maybe your iPhone is crap (i.e. damaged).

That behavior doesn't seem normal to me. Ever tried to restore to factory default ?

-t

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
How many messages do you have stored? I know some people who complain about lag, but then they've never deleted any text messages since they got the phone...
Why would you delete messages? They easily fit within available storage.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2010, 08:20 AM

He's claiming that a lot of messages may slow things down.

ph0ust
Senior User
Jan 12, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Maybe your iPhone is crap (i.e. damaged).

That behavior doesn't seem normal to me. Ever tried to restore to factory default ?

-t
i've restored and i regularly reboot, which helps a bit. i don't go through and delete old text messages. if that slows down the phone, then clearly the phone is designed poorly. no phone requires that, nor should it.

i am thinking of taking it in to att, but i believe they don't care... and that apple covers it under the one year warranty. i like a lot of things about my iphone. but between the carrier and it apparently having performance issues it seems to be a bad package.

btw, i have had numerous friends who have gone through multiple (i.e. more than 2 or 3) iphones due to issues. so as far as i can tell this is not necessarily out of the ordinary. i've seen articles by journalists on macnn commenting on how the phone slows down and has issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules