Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 28)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
okay moved to a HD instead of a flash stick. It seems less laggy to me. Only lagged on me once.
Sek came on tonight, its still unacceptable laggy. Ill try disabling speedstep next. Then it's getting a real NIC instead of the integrated soft nic. A few bucks will be worth it to not keep the MacPro running 24/7.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 11:32 PM

I want my plot to remain an overgrown field with a single hatch and one torch.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 11:44 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I want my plot to remain an overgrown field with a single hatch and one torch.
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Pretty much.

I'm sure sek's abode will look right at home in the middle of a town.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 10:43 AM

I tried out the "blaze" and "MacNN" seeds last night. MacNN absolutely sucked. Blaze seemed to be a lot better, spawning you just north of a desert, just south of a river, and with some fairly impressive mountains a short swim in multiple directions.

I'd post the screens, but I can't find them. I looked in Application Support, but there's no Minecraft folder any longer.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 12:27 PM

I'm all for researching more dramatic seeds, this will most likely be the map we stick with for a long while so it would be nice to have a lot of variety in the terrain.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 12:37 PM

Notch just tweeted that he's eliminating the endermen block-carrying nonsense.

Also, I tested out a very interesting seed last night. Just randomly experimenting, I typed in "DallasMavs." The map is actually quite excellent without being unmanageable. I'll post pictures when I get home.

andi*pandi
Sep 20, 2011, 01:08 PM

Oh good. Maybe instead of taking all of your blocks, they could be carrying valuable blocks they'd drop on death. Like a present.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2011, 01:54 PM

There's a thread on minecraftforums about how endermen will basically tear the entire world apart 5 or 6 blocks a night until there's nothing left, because they don't drop blocks when they die.

If he restricted them to picking up plants, wood, sand, gravel and dirt (aka stuff the player can punch) and placing them when they die / de-spawn then it would be more realistic and less entropic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 01:57 PM

I'm curious what the nerf will entail. Completely removing the feature would be a huge admission on Notch's part. Limiting their abilities to certain blocks is more what I'm expecting (Grass, sand, gravel).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 01:58 PM

There's a thread on minecraftforums about how endermen will basically tear the entire world apart 5 or 6 blocks a night until there's nothing left, because they don't drop blocks when they die.
Needs a time lapse.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 04:16 PM

If he restricted them to picking up plants, wood, sand, gravel and dirt (aka stuff the player can punch) and placing them when they die / de-spawn then it would be more realistic and less entropic.
Good god, that first paragraph sounds horrible. I can imagine the screams of horror and rage coming from our group.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm curious what the nerf will entail. Completely removing the feature would be a huge admission on Notch's part. Limiting their abilities to certain blocks is more what I'm expecting (Grass, sand, gravel).
Admitting that he was wrong doesn't sound like too big of a step for Notch. The guy seems incredibly humble.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. Not sure how to communicate what I'm thinking; Basically, it's a feature he looked forward to (like hunger), and I don't see him scrapping it before tweaking it, because its an idea he was enamored with.

ALternatively, I was thinking it'd be interesting if they created structures from blocks only they can create.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 04:21 PM

DallasMavs:

The initial spawn point is right about where the little pond on the left is:

Mountains absolutely surround much of the central area, with a flat, forested area just north, deserts to the southwest and southeast, a flat and tree-less area due south, and mountainous islands to the north, south, and east. The map is cool, but manageable.

The map of the surrounding area:

I believe this area was fairly close to the spawn, maybe a nudge east.

Prettiness.

Lava pit in the southwestern desert:

More mountains.

Lavafall.

The empty, relatively flat area due south:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 04:24 PM

That last one is a nice parcel of land, but I won't play on seed DallasMavs out of spite.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 04:25 PM

K. I'll try out RaptorTurd later tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 04:28 PM

That's TorontoRapturds to you, Mister.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 05:30 PM

Jawbone Submission #2
"no soup for you"

- - -

This map has a ton of mountains, but also a large forested area, and a massive, flat plain sitting between a bay and an average-sized, circular lake. Oh, and that particular plot happens to be at the foot of some decent mountains (not all loaded due to draw distance limitations).

At the nice prospective town center, with the spawn point in the middle of the map:

There is a hill that's sort of in the way, but might be a nice spot to build a city hall or something of the sort.

Other side of the hill (yes, there are caverns):

Zoomed way out, showing you how much flat space there is to work with:

And some scenic shots from around the seed...

Nice waterfall...

Weird mountain.

I also checked out "toronto rapturds." This is what most of the map looked like:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 07:04 PM

Server is refusing connection right now, Blaze must be tinkerin'

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2011, 07:15 PM

Server is refusing connection right now, Blaze must be tinkerin'
Yup, playing with powerd and rc.conf.

back up 7:19 est.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 07:16 PM

Heh, backing up my comp before I upgrade to 1.8 and I tried to log on to kill time, too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 07:26 PM

Unfortunately the seed DakarSucks did not yield good results.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 20, 2011, 07:52 PM

Seed 76745 is pretty good, would be awesome of there was less desert though. Lots of different biomes within the confines of a map at least three topside dungeons, two NPC villages, and a ravine hidden underwater.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 10:59 PM

I'd like a canyon if possible.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2011, 12:03 AM

I'd like a canyon if possible.
Its just a matter of how far your willing to go to find one. Which you don't seem to have any problems doing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 09:02 AM

sek, checkout seed BF3. Didn't much care for it, but it is rather mountainous. (Don't recall any "canyons" per se.

Oh, is there a difference between a canyon and ravine for your purposes?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 09:54 AM

At first I thought ravines were intrinsically connected to the surface, but it seems like the 'canyon' I'm looking for is more rare than a ravine.

But yes, a surface visible canyon is what I had in mind. As Blaze said though, it doesn't need to be close.

I've been watching some 1.8 videos and I have to say I'm excited for the new abandoned mines and whatnot. Seems much more lucrative and dangerous, making an exploration party pretty much needed to survive the new dangers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 10:47 AM

We should probably clarify what we're looking for in a map, as it seems Jawbone is fixated on mountains, you on ravines, and me on a flat parcel of grassland at spawn for the community to build on.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 11:06 AM

I want a mixture of all three within a fairly short distance, though I understand we'll have to walk to find it.

I agree that priority #1 should probably be a flat area of ground (even if it's wooded) close to the spawn for our primary village. Interesting terrain with a variety of features seems important to me, but that might just be a personal preference. I'm not going to pitch a fit if we don't have mountains, but I'd like something more interesting than huge, flat deserts. I'm definitely happy that rivers seem to be a common feature in 1.8.

I'd love to see some canyons, but they don't seem to be as common. I have yet to see a decent one after checking over a dozen spawns.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM

New mob in 1.9. Craftable apparently.

No really, it'll be alive.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 12:01 PM

Crap, I forgot to mention this a long time ago. Might want to do this before 1.8:
Minecraft - Yog-olympics Part 1, Pig-Rodeo and Dodgit - YouTube

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 04:04 PM

Oh yeah, some quick thoughts about what I saw during my little walkabout last night.

First off, Dakar, you have cleared out a simply staggering amount of space adjacent to my first mine. Also, the cavern rail is missing pieces and I blame you.

Secondly, Blaze's redstone block tower and subsequent train of pistons to make that happen is one of the most ridiculous and awesome things I have ever seen.

Thirdly, I discovered a large series of caves underneath Outpost #2 which lead to 7 diamond and 16 (!) gold.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 04:31 PM

First off, Dakar, you have cleared out a simply staggering amount of space adjacent to my first mine.
That was the plan for my mines all along. Hope you like it.

Also, the cavern rail is missing pieces and I blame you.
That's accurate. A series of mishaps occurred over the months (creepers, water leaks), and I did my best to dutifully replace those that I recovered, but given that you haven't been in thos mines the past 4 months, I didn't really make it a priority (take it out of the iron I'm lending you).

Edit: Looks like there's a chance for some type of release tomorrow. Murmurings it may be a 1.9 pre-release as many of the features announced were pushed back from 1.8 (Nether mobs, possible Snow Biome)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 21, 2011, 07:34 PM

Alright, I found the winner. Seed: Oasis. If this doesn't have an area that makes you happy, you need to get your head checked.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2011, 07:47 PM

Does everyone want to start from scratch? On a server a coworker plays on they saves the player.dat files so anything you bring anything you have in your inventory with you.

andi*pandi
Sep 21, 2011, 08:29 PM

^that sounds better. A fresh world is exciting, but starting over without any stuff is tedious.

Is it possible to have "creative night" or something so we can build without having to destroy the landscape mining sand etc? Or can you not switch back and forth?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2011, 09:03 PM

gamemode playername 0|1 - Changes the game mode for playername to Survival (0) mode or Creative (1) mode. Remember, this will only affect playername and no one else--it may confuse others.
New Creative game mode.
Flying by double tapping Space
Unlimited resources
Instant mining
A new screen, the Unlimited Item Selection screen
it won't let me post nothing but quotes

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 09:48 PM

I guess I can't object having one inventory worth of items, though I must say the only reason I've been burning through resources is I had thought we'd be starting from scratch.

Just since my return I've used a stack of gold, 25 Diamond, and many stacks of iron.

Better start mining!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2011, 09:55 PM

Personally I'm gonna build a chest and put all my stuff in it first thing and play the first week or so without any carry over.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

I just decided what my 40 items will be, already have most of it, just some food and wood and my care package is complete.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 12:35 AM

Alright, I found the winner. Seed: Oasis. If this doesn't have an area that makes you happy, you need to get your head checked.
Pretty impressive map, most notably the massive mountain ranges. I even found a decent sized canyon that goes underneath a river in the north east of the map. Spawn point is wooded and mostly flat.

Took some pics along the way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 09:32 AM

I just decided what my 40 items will be, already have most of it, just some food and wood and my care package is complete.
40 items sounds like sooo much. I mean, aside from building materials most of us get by on way less than that, right?

Pretty impressive map, most notably the massive mountain ranges.
Would I lie? Also, I think this means everyone should start checking out the map. Hoping 1.9 makes one of those mountain ranges snowy.

Speaking of 1.9, they are doing the pre-release today. They've also announced 1.10, a they're pushing features not in 1.9 back into that, spreading the Adventure Update into three updates. This suddenly feels like Minecraft again.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:20 AM

I'm going to have to roll back my version so I can log back onto the server.

Saw the news on 1.9. Notch has been blowing up Twitter even more than usual lately.

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2011, 11:43 AM

Me too, I need to roll back. Where do you find the old versions?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:45 AM

Currently searching. I'm only seeing it on some torrent sites at the moment.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 12:25 PM

40 items sounds like sooo much. I mean, aside from building materials most of us get by on way less than that.
Technically it is 36 items not counting the armor slots. You'd be surprised how quickly it fills up, especially since I am bringing my slime balls, obsidian, and glowstone. I've already got a chest labeled 1.8 inventory to bring with me, all filled and ready to go. I'm going to keep mining for gold and diamond to fill out those stacks.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2011, 12:31 PM

Where do you find the old versions?
I'll post a path to mine later tonight.

The launcher should really offer you the chance to download the correct version from the SMP server when you connect to it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 01:05 PM

Gracias, Blaze.

Also, I'm 100% in favor of Oasis. It had everything we'd talked about except for NPC villages (which I'm sure are beyond the range of the map below).

Skeleton mountaineer:

One view of a nice collection of mountains, some hidden by the mountains in front:

Lakes, ponds, and rivers?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 01:43 PM

Technically it is 36 items not counting the armor slots. You'd be surprised how quickly it fills up, especially since I am bringing my slime balls, obsidian, and glowstone. I've already got a chest labeled 1.8 inventory to bring with me, all filled and ready to go. I'm going to keep mining for gold and diamond to fill out those stacks.
Yeah, but I said "get by." You really need slime balls? Glowstone? Not really. Diamonds help speed up the mining process but unless you need Obsidian, they're also not necessary. I'm thinking on brining a decent amount of coal and wood in addition to the rare ores. (Quiet, Blaze). I'll bring Lapiz because it's semi-rare, but I certainly don't need it (Or see what I'll be using it for). Honestly, the only need for gold and iron I'll have is to build track for transportation to other kingdoms.

Also, I'm 100% in favor of Oasis.
Hear that Blaze? We need you for the final stamp of approval.

It had everything we'd talked about except for NPC villages (which I'm sure are beyond the range of the map below).

Strange, Your map is oriented differently than mine, and I had an NPC village generate decently close to spawn (Close enough that we could have walked there and used it for a basis for town). I wonder if they are generated independent of the terrain (though dungeons aren't).

---

Cool shit from pre-release:
Stuff I find cool in bold.

New effects
Blocks under water "drip" into cave/cavern below. LAVA does the same thing!
Trees on higher altitudes have less leaves.
Grass drops more seeds.
Pressing "escape" no longer pauses the game. (Might be a bug some people are experiencing. Unconfirmed.)
Lava flows faster.
Reports of more "lag". Remember this is Pre-Release and there will be bugs.
Do not jump infinitely when holding down space bar.
Dried up river-beds in plains biome.
Animal DO NOT breed. Confirmed.
Bonemeal turns black sheep white? Bug?
Water drips through wool. Bug?
Pumpking seeds are back in the chests in the dungeons!
Lots of reports of mega-oceans.
Armor values are now determined differently.
Mushroom Island: Warm biome. Frequent Rain. Somewhat Mountainous. Land base level near sea level.
Mushroom Island Shore: Warm biome. Frequent Rain. Flat land. Land base far below sea level (same as ocean.

Thus, Mushroom Island biomes actually spawn in the middle of Mushroom Island Shore biomes. However, the land for Shore biomes is underwater, which makes them appear like Oceans.

The top block for these biomes is the "mycel" block I mentioned earlier (which is not town related after all, but does play some kind of melody). No monsters, animals, or squids spawn in these biomes EXCEPT for mushroom cows.

Snow Biome
"Snow" biomes more rare. Unconfirmed.
Snowman! - Built by Two snow block then pumpkin PLACES not crafted. Not sure how to make a snowman without a pumpkin head. They fight other "bad" mobs. They drop snowballs.
Snowmen work in the Nether. (Bug? Unconfirmed.)
Snow now settles on ice.

Frozen Ocean: Cold biome. Occasional Rain. Somewhat Mountainous. Land base level far below sea level. No animals spawn in this biome.

Frozen River: Cold biome. Occasional Rain. Flat land. Land base level somewhat below sea level. No animals spawn in this biome.

Ice Plains: Same as Plains, except cold temperature.

Ice Mountains: Same as Extreme Hills, except cold temperature.

Swamps
Lilly Pads - Picked up by "Punching". Place by putting next to another lilly or surface block. Lilly Pads turn grey when picked up - bug?
Darker grass - new grass texture for swamps
Darker water around the swamp area
The water doesn't exactly blend seamlessly into oceans and rivers but I imagine this might get tweaked in the future.

Villages
Village Monks - 1 Priest is dressed in white
A few other skins reported - aprons and pink?
Reported that the mobs folder have 6 different textures for the villagers. (Butcher, Farmer, Librarian, priest, smith & villager).
NPCs are purely decorative at this point, but maybe by using these placeholders they will work once their AI is included.

Nether
Nether Brick
Nether Fence
Nether Stairs

Nether Stronghold - Netherholds!
Nether Slimes
"Blaze" Mob
Nether Dungeons (Same a netherholds?)
Netherwart - nether plant (A nether mushroom? Need more clarification.)
Ghasts shoot "bombs" now.
New Sounds by pigmen and ghasts (unconfirmed)
Pigman drops "Rotten Flesh" & "Gold Nugget" - 3x3 craft = Gold Ingot
Ghasts drop "Ghast Tear" - Unknown use
Blazes drop "Blaze Rod" - Ranged weapon, decent damage in CREATIVE mode. Works great on new "Blaze" mob. Survival mode = unknown use.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2011, 02:45 PM

Eh, so some semi-bad news... the terrain generation in 1.9 might be fairly different. Will try to research tonight.

Edit: The new list of blocks Endermen can move:
b[mn.v.bG] = true; // grass
b[mn.w.bG] = true; // dirt
b[mn.F.bG] = true; // sand
b[mn.G.bG] = true; // gravel
b[mn.ae.bG] = true; // flower
b[mn.af.bG] = true; // rose
b[mn.ag.bG] = true; // mushroom
b[mn.ah.bG] = true; // mushroom
b[mn.an.bG] = true; // TNT
b[mn.aW.bG] = true; // cactus
b[mn.aX.bG] = true; // clay
b[mn.bb.bG] = true; // pumpkin
b[mn.bs.bG] = true; // melon
b[mn.bz.bG] = true; // mycel
Their pick-up rate is still similar, though, I've heard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules