Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to transfer iTunes library to new Mac while preserving all data

How to transfer iTunes library to new Mac while preserving all data
jszrules
Senior User
May 21, 2011, 04:13 AM

Hi, how do you properly transfer your entire iTunes library from an old Mac to a new Mac while preserving all data (play count, dates, folders, etc)? Are the following methods accurate? Thanks.

How to transfer a full iTunes library between machines - Mac OS X Hints
Mac OS X Tip – Move your iTunes Library to a new Mac | Macgasm
How to Move Your iTunes Library to a New Mac

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 05:02 AM

Grab ~/Music/iTunes/ and move it to ~/Music/ on the new machine.

There is no step two.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2011, 09:20 PM

Thanks, that's good news! If the answer is that simple, how come there have been a lot of complicated solutions to address this? Is that because the method you mention is only a recently available option?

ibook_steve
May 23, 2011, 02:14 AM

Migration Assistant should also do it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2011, 02:35 AM

As I wouldn't want to migrate anything else fom my old Mac, what would need to be selected in Migration Assistant in order to ensure that only iTunes data is moved over? The iTunes app? The iTunes Music folde? Thanks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 03:35 AM

Mac-to-Mac transfer of iTunes libraries has been possible using the (lack of) steps I describe since January 2001.

Going from Windows to Mac used to be more complex, but is generally as brain-dead simple as Mac-to-Mac, these days.

Obviously, web pages making money off page hits and ads have a certain interest in providing "reference" guides for a complex procedure, which only works if you can make it sound complicated (they do by including various non-default situations and transfer from Windows). Also, window sizes and custom equalizer settings are stored elsewhere. These are rarely an issue for people.

The Migration Assistant is all-or-nothing. If you want *just* iTunes, do it by hand as I wrote above..

ibook_steve
May 23, 2011, 03:18 PM

The "moving to a new Mac" part of this thread seemed to imply that everything was moving over, making Migration Assistant the obvious choice.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Mac-to-Mac transfer of iTunes libraries has been possible using the (lack of) steps I describe since January 2001.
Great, thanks. Does this have to be completed before opening iTunes on the new Mac for the first time? Or can it be done whenever?

Demonhood
Administrator
May 24, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules View Post
Thanks, that's good news! If the answer is that simple, how come there have been a lot of complicated solutions to address this? Is that because the method you mention is only a recently available option?
This is because some people, like myself, don't have iTunes copy everything into the ~/Music/iTunes folder by default. My music is divided over multiple drives. I have too much to fit it all comfortably on my startup volume. So it's a bit more complicated for the likes of me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules View Post
Great, thanks. Does this have to be completed before opening iTunes on the new Mac for the first time? Or can it be done whenever?
It can be done whenever you want, but if you open iTunes before copying over your library folder you'll have to overwrite the new blank folder with the one you're moving.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules