Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slow Macmanager

Slow Macmanager
ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2001, 03:00 AM

I recently installed MacManager in an elementary school computer lab. The server is a Snow iMac with 256 MB of RAM (we can't afford any new computers so we're using the fastest machine we've got.) It's running OS 9.0.4 with AppleShare IP 6.3.2 and the latest version of Macintosh Management Server.

We're finding it very slow. With a labfull of users, it takes a good 2 minutes for them all to log in, and Dreamweaver takes about 4 minutes to launch if everybody opens it at the same time, netscape is faster but still seems slow.

The server is hitting 100 percent usage at some times, I wouldn't expect it to be that much with only 20 computers on.

Any general suggestions?

BTW, I hope this thread is in the right forum.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2001, 12:47 AM

Sounds like your network might be the bottleneck. Are you using 10mb or 100mb ethernet?

ibookuser2  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2001, 12:56 AM

It's 10Mb and it's very poorly designed, there are no routers in the whole school district and over 2000 computers on the network... there's nothing that I can do about that though, the network administrators just say "they're working on it" and blame the problem on the macs and the t1 provider.

Any suggestions that might make it any faster though?

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2001, 01:08 PM

Well you just described the answer to your problem. Try to isolate this one lab by picking up a cheap switch. The iMac might be burdeoned by the load you described but your network architecture is only making it 100x worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules