Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When are the 17" PB suppose to ship?

When are the 17" PB suppose to ship?
drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 04:44 PM

Ive read a million different dates. Will it be the end of the month?

Thanks.
i hate project managers.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 04:58 PM

When I ordered mine, they said it would ship in 7-10 weeks. I ordered the day after the keynote. 7 weeks would be the end of Feb, 10 weeks would be my 'On or before date" of 3/21/2003.

We'll just to wait and see to know exactly when they ship, as I'm sure noone will know before hand.

Also, since the only real BTO option was the RAM, I don't imagine there will be to many differences on the shpping dates between orders. Meaning, they'll probably just ship linearly, FIFO.

donovan713
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 05:24 PM

Mine says 3-20 (I ordered a few hours after Steve's speech). Anybody have 3-19 or earlier?

p.s. I'm really glad I discovered this forum. I used to think I was the only person who checked order status twice a day.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by donovan713:
Mine says 3-20 (I ordered a few hours after Steve's speech). Anybody have 3-19 or earlier?

p.s. I'm really glad I discovered this forum. I used to think I was the only person who checked order status twice a day.
You only check twice a day?

Rangers4me
Feb 6, 2003, 05:41 PM

On Compusa's website it says it will be shipping their 17" powerbooks on Feb 27.

Link

Jason

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 05:44 PM

Amazon says Feb 28th
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

urrl5201
Feb 6, 2003, 05:48 PM

I dunno guys, I can't help but feel they will be hitting the store shelves even sooner than some who ordered ten minutes after the Job's speech. Sorry...

I think they will be here before March, and the 15" models will follow soon thereafter. I can wait. I have my 667 Ti to keep me warm, if only Apple would fix the @!%$! paint right and send it back without damage on this, the FOURTH TIME...

Who the devil
works in that
freaking Apple service dept

anyways?!!!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2003, 06:34 PM

A friend of mine just called The SoHo Apple Store, they said 17" PB in two weeks...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
A friend of mine just called The SoHo Apple Store, they said 17" PB in two weeks...
REALLY!!! WAAAWHOOOO!!! Im going!
i hate project managers.

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 06:39 PM

Corresponding to the "in two weeks" from the previous poster, I've had a date of 2/20/03. Lucky me. (I ordered about 30 minutes after the keynote)

Today, I got anxious and called Apple. The nice person on the phone noted that my delivery date looked strange, and bumped it up to a supervisor. I'm waiting for a callback with more information.

Argh! Given the opportunity, I *will* go to the nearest store and pick one up off the shelf rather than wait for my original order to ship. It will really be interesting to see how Apple handles this, given some of you are expected to wait until April!?
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

AshUK
Feb 6, 2003, 06:55 PM

Apple PR UK said they would get a batch next week, I will be getting one in 3 weeks so expect a review from me soonish.

butter71
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 07:21 PM

the palo alto store, today, told me that they will have a demo unit "the middle to the end of the month."

my date is 3/25. i'm hoping it'll actually be closer to 3/1.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 10:08 PM

Well, if a local AppleStore gets one before my order ships... you can bet your ass I'm gonna go to the store and buy the damn thing. I'll of course call Apple while I'm in the store and cancel the order while I have the 17" box in my hand. NO need to get wacked with 2 of those things.

PS... MacNN... get these damn boards fixed.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 10:16 PM

I ordered mine through my campus store. Apple told them it would ship to me on 3/1. I placed the order on 1/9. I hope the reports that they will ship within 2 weeks are close to the truth. It is really driving me nuts. I can't recall ever being this anxious for a delivery of a new computer. Of course, I've been without a laptop for 4 months now. Please Apple, get it in gear and get us our laptops.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 10:45 PM

Various Apple resellers in Sydney are saying mid to late February, for any Aussies out there that are interested...

jimmyg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 01:26 AM

Apple store in Palo Alto has a 17" powerbook in the window. Wasn't there when I drove to work this morning, but it's there now. The 12" is still there as well. Store is already closed so I wasn't able to go in and take a look.

butter71
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2003, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by jimmyg:
Apple store in Palo Alto has a 17" powerbook in the window. Wasn't there when I drove to work this morning, but it's there now.
wow. it wasn't there at 3pm. i'll try to stop by tomorrow and take some pictures.

rowell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by jimmyg:
Apple store in Palo Alto has a 17" powerbook in the window. Wasn't there when I drove to work this morning, but it's there now. The 12" is still there as well. Store is already closed so I wasn't able to go in and take a look.

I popped in the store this evening for a brief moment and the only demo they had was the 12" Powerbook. The 17" was still revolving in the display window and unfortunately I didn't have time to ask anyone if they had a timeline on 17" shipments coming in.

lephantom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 04:45 AM

Just saw one at the USC bookstore. It is their demo and the could not tell me when more will arrive.

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 11:03 AM

Any sign of demo 17" Powerbooks in New York?
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

tgrundke
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2003, 01:00 PM

This has happened several times before - whereby you could actually get the unit in stores quicker than if you ordered through Apple's website.

If I'm not mistaken, this occured with last years' iMac and iBook updates and in some cases it occurred when the original TiBooks were announced as well.

*sigh* You think if you order direct from Apple you get it quicker.
Travis L. Grundke
Sapere Aude

Arch.
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2003, 11:57 PM

Ok, so this is a stupid question. Does this always happen with apple? I am really fed up. I have an on or before 4/1. In their history, if there is one, of doing this do they ever come through early?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 12:09 AM

This happened to me with my order for the first iBook, it showed up on the shelves of my local CompUsa before the Apple Store Online began shipping them. But, I have no problem with purchasing one and immediately cancelling my AppleStore.com order... thats what I did for my iBook purchase. However it was a little annoying to discover my advanced order was not so very advanced

Originally posted by tgrundke:
This has happened several times before - whereby you could actually get the unit in stores quicker than if you ordered through Apple's website.

If I'm not mistaken, this occured with last years' iMac and iBook updates and in some cases it occurred when the original TiBooks were announced as well.

*sigh* You think if you order direct from Apple you get it quicker.

jeff72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 12:45 AM

So John, how much later did you get your iBook relative to when you saw them at Compusa? A couple of days I don't mind.

Thanks,

Jeff

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 02:02 AM

I may be wrong, but on Feb. 7th the Apple Online Store said 4-6 weeks. That has now been changed to 6-8 weeks.

Bad sign.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 02:38 AM

I had ordered ihe Rev A. iBook the day after it was announced at MacWorld, I still had two weeks left on my estimated ship date, when I picked one up at CompUsa, that was what made the decision so easy. When I called to cancel the order the Apple Store told me mine was going to ship the following week. So all in all it was a about a one week difference. Still I'm glad I bought it at CompUsa because they let me turn it on before I bought it(there were stuck pixel proiblems with that first iBooks...)

Originally posted by jeff72:
So John, how much later did you get your iBook relative to when you saw them at Compusa? A couple of days I don't mind.

Thanks,

Jeff

vdrummer
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 02:54 AM

I ordered my 17" on 1/29, and today's est. ship is Mar. 27.

cliff
Feb 8, 2003, 05:49 AM

An an Apple Store Employee said that a customer came in whos 17" Powerbook arrived YESTERDAY. She said he had ordered it on the 7th.

Seems they are sarting to slwoly ship

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 06:24 AM

Get out of here!

Don't mess with me please!

...yesterday you say?

/Nf

cliff
Feb 8, 2003, 12:36 PM

Well, the day before yesterday as of now

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 12:48 PM

No way. Is it possible that someone who doesn't post on any boards got thiers first? I would think the boards would explode if people started getting them.Time will tell if this pans out...

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 02:43 PM

Yes it does sound fishy...

Thank goodness February is the shortest month of the year

/Nf

higuy83
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by lephantom:
Just saw one at the USC bookstore. It is their demo and the could not tell me when more will arrive.
I have called and walked into the USC Bookstore and the 17in PB is *not* there. However, they said that it will be in next week.

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 03:30 AM

We are talking about a display model, right? Not that you can buy the 17" starting Monday!

Thanx nonetheless.

/Nf

cliff
Feb 9, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by S S:
No way. Is it possible that someone who doesn't post on any boards got thiers first? I would think the boards would explode if people started getting them.Time will tell if this pans out...
Thats what dhe said. I don't know how valid it is. Beleive it or not there are lots of people out there with powerbooks that aren't on this forum

I'm still holding out for the end of this month.

S S
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 01:19 PM

You know I am getting sick of saying anything on this board. It seems like everyone reads the worst into every message. No way, people own PowerBooks that don't post on this board? Give me a break. I was just infering that if someone were to get a PowerBook 17 so soon they would have to have ordered it the second you could and thus be following Apple pretty closely like the rest of us crazies. People that do that tend to post on boards because they want the rest of us to lust after what they have. Plus messages on one board tend to get talked about on other boards, espeacially a message as important as someone getting a PowerBook 17. So in conclusion I think it would be ironic that a totaly clueless person loged on the the Apple Store on the 7th and saw the 17" and said "oh, thats nice" without any knowleged that MW SF was going on or anything and was the very first to order. While the rest of us are salivating and waiting, she has a PowerBook 17" and is none the wieser.

Give people some credit for being intelligent. And if you didn't mean this in an insulting way I am sorry for being as bad as I thought you were. No hard feelings

higuy83
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Nikolajf:
We are talking about a display model, right? Not that you can buy the 17" starting Monday!

Thanx nonetheless.

/Nf
Right, a display model will be in sometime next week. We won't be able to buy them for quite a while (like everyone else).

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by cliff:
An an Apple Store Employee said that a customer came in whos 17" Powerbook arrived YESTERDAY. She said he had ordered it on the 7th.

Seems they are sarting to slwoly ship
Let's play a game called I DOUBT IT.

I'll go first.

mattsledge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 01:10 AM

howdy. I'm a soon to be "switcher" as soon as my new 12" powerbook arrives. I ordered it on 1/31 with the basic config, except getting the superdrive, and is estimated to ship "on or before" march 3rd.

the wait is killing me, man.

hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by vdrummer:
I ordered my 17" on 1/29, and today's est. ship is Mar. 27.

That's wild.. I ordered mine the 21 of Jan and got a ship date of April 4th.. I guess cause I added more RAM..

cliff
Feb 11, 2003, 06:45 AM

Several people on Mac Rumors are starting to report ship dates of this week as well as one arrival.

I actually placed my order on 12/9 along with a 20GB Ipod. Apple didn't notify me until the day Ipod shipped. There was no estimated ship date (it was an employee order). This will probably be true for the 17" as well.

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 04:15 PM

I talked to a supplier today who felt confident he would have them the last week of February.

He is however basing this feeling on the slight humming of his left buttock.

Everybody now, hmmmmmm......

/Nf

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 08:21 PM

Ughh I just got off the phone with my campus computer store rep. While she was checking on the status of my 17" order which on her computer, which still read March 1st, she checked the shipping database. It now shows a delivery estimate of March 25. She was surprised at this since they are usually informed of changes like this. She told me she was going to contact (via e-mail) the Apple rep for the university tomorrow and find out what was up with the order. She is going to forward whatever response she receives to me as soon as she receives any reply.

This is starting to get annoying. This goes beyond the "10 week" outer range of what Apple published when I ordered the machine. Maybe this is why they removed the estimated ship dates off of the website
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

rambo47
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 08:51 PM

Seems like they will hit the stores, at least initially in small quantities, before orders ship from online Apple Store orders. For that reason I'm not ordering online but rather waiting to pounce on one at the Apple Store Short Hills. I'll be the guy lurking in the rafters ala Lara Croft in Tomb Raider when the goons broke into her house. And I'll be playing "Illuminati" on my iPod, too.

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 11, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
This is starting to get annoying. This goes beyond the "10 week" outer range of what Apple published when I ordered the machine. Maybe this is why they removed the estimated ship dates off of the website
When did you order? If you ordered the week of the keynote, then the 10th week after the keynote would be the week of the March 25th (albeit at the end of it).

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
When did you order? If you ordered the week of the keynote, then the 10th week after the keynote would be the week of the March 25th (albeit at the end of it).
I ordered mine on 1-10. March 21st is 10 weeks. Granted, it's not much over the period, but to slip over 3 weeks from the original quote is somewhat unusual, especially without informing the vendor/distributor of the change.
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 11, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by HvyMtlMdns:
I ordered mine on 1-10. March 21st is 10 weeks. Granted, it's not much over the period, but to slip over 3 weeks from the original quote is somewhat unusual, especially without informing the vendor/distributor of the change.
When I orderd mine, Apple quoted me 7-10 weeks. 7 weeks will be the end of Feb/begining of march. 10 weeks will be the same week as my "on or before" date listed on Apple's website in my order tracking area (3/21/2003).

I think the problem is your campus quoted you the lower date of the date range - or maybe they don't even get a date range. Either way, I'd assume that you are in the same shipping 'range' as myself. I ordered mine the morning after the keynote. I still hold hope that it will ship *before* the "On or *before*" date listed. But, I by all means am not holding Apple to ship it before then - I'm trying not to get my hopes up .

In your case I can understand your frustration, as you were quoted a date, which has 'slipped'. But, in reality, the date they quoted you was wrong to begin with. Anyhow... good luck and I hope all of us wacko's that ordered early, get it soon .

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 07:05 AM

I ordered my 17 AlPB on Jan 27th and my order tracking page says it will ship "on or before 03-11-03". Granted, that's within the "7 to 10 week" window I've seen other people quote here, but considering that some folks ordered their's right after the keynote; it baffles me as to why they're not going to recieve them until late March. Add to this the fact that I'm a Canadian and we tend to get stuff slightly after the US market just adds to the conundrum...

All I can say is "Gimme Gimme Gimme....now damnit!"

Maelstrom
Proud Owner (in waiting) of a 17" PB 1Ghz, 512Mb, 60Gb HD

jeff72
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 01:22 PM

I ordered mine as the people were filing out of the keynote on Jan 7 and my ship date is 01/07/03. What the... Well, not that bad but it's 3/24. I went by the Berkeley Apple Store yesterday and the guy told me that there would be no difference between ordering online verses going down to the store. And that they expect the shipping to occur in two weeks.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 01:58 PM

Below is the response I just received from my campus computer store rep (Names removed to protect the innocent ):

Scott-

This is what I heard back from my Apple rep. If I obtain any more
information I will be sure to pass it along to you. Please feel free to
call me if you have any other concerns.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Retail Manager
Campus Computer Store
XXX.XXX.XXXX

Hi XXXXX,

The leadtime on this powerbook was 7 - 10 Weeks which is an expected
ship
date between 03/04/2003 and 03/25/2003. We should have more information
though when they actually start shipping this configuration.

XXXXX

I gather from the note that their shipping "clock" didn't start the day of the Keynote presentation

Oh well, I'll continue to wait patiently until I find something else to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules